Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Valve Clearance for Roller Tappets

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by canuck1969, Feb 13, 2016.

1. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

It was a legitimate discussion, exploring various avenues, since the factory specifications were inconsistent. Questioning them is healthy and informative.

I think our moderator was just having a bad day. Perhaps he'll ban me for saying this, but I'm not frightened.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Dave, you are fine:). It just appeared this discussion was going down the rabbit hole and a slight attitude adjustment was in order.

John Warner likes this.
  3. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Cheers Guys.
    I'm going to check my clearances fairly soon, it's just under 1000 miles since I did the conversion.

4. Bonaventure

Bonaventure Cruisin' Guzzisti

Does the engine run better with clearance at 004/006 than the looser setting? Can these settings be considered as some small change to valve timing?

5. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I have set them both ways and never seen ill effects, can't tell the difference in the bikes running or anything.

6. Bonaventure

Bonaventure Cruisin' Guzzisti

Good info, thanks !!

7. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

First I've heard about 6 and 8 settings. 4 and 6 it is, cause it has been......lol. Great debate!

8. Lumir Bakota

Lumir Bakota Tuned and Synch'ed

Could somebody enlighten me on these roller tappets? I am in a market for used Stelvio, so what years I should be looking at?

9. V700Steve

The flat tappet cam followers would wear off the DLC coating, Guzzi has a fix that are a roller tappet. The roller tappet rolls on the cam instead of scraping across it. Look for a 2013 or latter unless they have been changed.

10. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Pre 2013 8v1200 motors.

11. Dirty Black Irish

Dirty Black Irish Just got it firing!

Good thread. Been reading for awhile and finally decided to sign up.

12. Lumir Bakota

Lumir Bakota Tuned and Synch'ed

A follow up question. Does the 2009 Stelvio 4V has the same issue with the flat tappet cam followers as the 2012 Stelvio 8V NTX?
    I am looking here at 2009 Stelvio 4V in amazing shape with 25k kms on the clock. Is this roller tapet kit install a DIY job if I had to do it myself?

13. V700Steve

It was a factory warranty fix, they supply parts rider pays labor. Time is up on this bulletin now is last I heard. DIY if you are capable or pay a wrench. Takes me 1hr each side for kit w/o valve mods.
    Early 8V are heads off kit. That takes an extra hr each side. 09 & 10 is early, 2011 & on was easy kits.

14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The 2009 will definitely have the flat tappets unless it's already been fixed.

Whether you can do it yourself depends on your abilities. There's heaps of information about this on the interweb. Google is your friend.

V700Steve likes this.
  15. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

scottmastrocinque and V700Steve like this.
  16. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

You've probably found out already, but there is no 4V Stelvio, they're all 8V.
    The confusion comes from some people calling any Engine with 4 Valves (per-Cylinder), a 4-Valve Engine.
    All Stelvios have 4 Valves per Cylinder, = 8 Valve.

Fitting the Roller Kit is not especially difficult, and requires no special tooling.

Disclaimer.
    The following are my own findings, I'm not advocating anyone else do it, and it's not meant to open up the previous discussion again.
    I set my clearances to 0.1mm all-round over 7500 miles ago, nice and quiet, no ill-effects.

Sorry!

scottmastrocinque likes this.