• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wicked Oil Leak from alternator cover on 2009 Norge

Dave@SCMT

Just got it firing!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer. A few days ago, I noticed the front of the engine case and the lower scoop on my Norge were coated with old oil residue and the dipstick oil level was down about 1.75 quarts. I sprayed off the muck and refilled the crankcase. After a 300 mile ride, i looked again, and the whole front of the plastic alternator cover is again coated, but this time with nice, fresh oil. Before I get crazy and begin the task of dismantling the covers, do you have any insight into what I may expect to find? I like to have all the replacement parts on hand before beginning a repair. Also, what is the general consensus on oil viscosity? The manual calls for 10-60 and I can only find it locally in a very pricey Motorex Synthetic. The bike lives in the California desert.

Dave, most likely either the oil pressure switch or the crank angle sensor. Both of these sit is the valley between the cylinders and both are a right royal PITA to get to. If you shine a good torch from the L/H side just above the L/H exhaust as it exits from the head, you might see the offenders spreading their special form of love (oil).

Both are easily fixed (if that's the problem) but the tank has to come off and the airbox as well just to get to these puppies. I had a failed oil pressure sensor that wasn't leaking, but the O-ring for the crank angle sensor was never put in right from manufacture. Crank angle sensor, if the culprit can be easily fixed with patience and care. if you remove it though, be sure you count the spacers and put them back the exact same way. O-ring may be able to be reused but if I was you a new one is very cheap insurance.

Let us know how you progress with this one

10w 60 fully synth is a must, order is over the internet if you can't get it locally.

Post some pics of where the oil is coming from.

I was thinking its more like the main crankshaft seal behind the alternator pulley......I had similar on mine when I replaced an old seal with a nitrile one which wore out quickly ......now I have a nitron seal which is able to cope with the higher temps.

Cleaning the Norge (2012 8v) after a mucky trip to Newcastle (roads, not me) and noticed some oil on left side firing at bottom. Got a torch and looked behined fairing - couls see signs of oil. opened the little oil dip stick cover and could feel oil on fairing and see it on case.

stripped side panels off - backs had oil smears, not a lot but had it. the side of the engine did indeed have oil on it from just below the sensor in front of cylinder to the starter motor, not a lot but a coating everywhere from sensor height down, front to back, half way up cyclinder fins.

nothing on top, or right side, oil measured ok. must be a slight leak from somewhere but what is most likely ?

Well, Gents. Here's the latest. I removed the lower fairings and chin scoop, cleaned everything up again and rode around for 30 or 40 minutes in the warm Southern California sun (sorry). A decent weep had developed in the same area. I peeled off the alternator belt cover and THIS time, the telltale trail of nice fresh oil was obviously coming from behind the lower belt pulley. So, i have already begun removing most of the front end to get at the next level. Hopefully I can get the alternator/belt/pulley off without having to drop too much more stuff. I have the shop manual and finds it a constant source of entertainment.
I was thinking its more like the main crankshaft seal behind the alternator pulley......I had similar on mine when I replaced an old seal with a nitrile one which wore out quickly ......now I have a nitron seal which is able to cope with the higher temps.
Bingo!
Also, I am properly brought up to speed on the oil issue. I will bite the bullet and pay the $75/gallon and just enjoy the results. Thanks again for the thoughts and assistance.

Dave,

That seal rarely fails on relatively new machines. Be sure to carefully inspect where the seal rides to see if an imperfection caused the seal to fail. That seal is installed from inside the timing cover, so quite a bit of disassembly will be required.

That's what I have heard, but then again, machines have a way of finding unique ways of amusing me. I ordered the seal and gasket today. No one anywhere in SoCal had the parts on hand, which also goes to show how often they fail.

Well, that would explain my oil leak seemingly emanating from the timing cover! I thought I had to replace the sump and pan gaskets until I started really looking. I'm not really losing much oil, but I am getting the 07 and 08 code, and the service light blinks a few times on startup. This just started after I did a valve adjustment, too, so perhaps I'm missing another trick?

Well, that would explain my oil leak seemingly emanating from the timing cover! I thought I had to replace the sump and pan gaskets until I started really looking. I'm not really losing much oil, but I am getting the 07 and 08 code, and the service light blinks a few times on startup. This just started after I did a valve adjustment, too, so perhaps I'm missing another trick?
Thanks for searching before posting. 07-09 Norges are surpassing ~13-15 years old, so the crank seal won't last forever. Not too bad of a job on the 1200-2V. What year is yours?
All CARC 1200s & 1400s use GU90412237. I have some in stock if you need one, ping me direct email; Info @GuzziTech.com

Thanks for searching before posting. 07-09 Norges are surpassing ~13-15 years old, so the crank seal won't last forever. Not too bad of a job on the 1200-2V. What year is yours?
All CARC 1200s & 1400s use GU90412237. I have some in stock if you need one, ping me direct email; Info @GuzziTech.com
Hi Todd,

Mine's an '08 - I'll email for your price list sometime soon, thank you!

Good news, the error code that was being thrown wasn't what I thought it was when I rechecked diagnostics. I know I'm due for an oil change, so that was the source of the blinking wrench. That had me stymied - it has plenty of oil, and all of the fuel hoses are intact - the only thing I can think of is, I disrupted homeostasis when I pulled the valve covers off to adjust the valves, and the BCM panicked!

Well, Gents. Here's the latest. I removed the lower fairings and chin scoop, cleaned everything up again and rode around for 30 or 40 minutes in the warm Southern California sun (sorry). A decent weep had developed in the same area. I peeled off the alternator belt cover and THIS time, the telltale trail of nice fresh oil was obviously coming from behind the lower belt pulley. So, i have already begun removing most of the front end to get at the next level. Hopefully I can get the alternator/belt/pulley off without having to drop too much more stuff. I have the shop manual and finds it a constant source of entertainment.

Bingo!
Also, I am properly brought up to speed on the oil issue. I will bite the bullet and pay the $75/gallon and just enjoy the results. Thanks again for the thoughts and assistance.
Hello Dave, I have 2008 Norge as well, do you mind to send the shop manual?

Back