• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Workshop manual

David Toll

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello Folks,
I have a 2008 Classic V7. 60,000kms means that it needs a bit of maintenance and repair. I have done a couple of motorcycle restorations and I'm keen to get this one running right. Can you recommend a real workshop manual for this model, one that doesn't just tell me how to check the brake fluid but how to rebuild the calipers? I have paid for and downloaded a couple from the web but they appear to be written for the fellow who has no intention of getting dirty.
Neither Haynes nor Clymer seem to have one. Any suggestions?

No manual will tell you how to rebuild a caliper. That is something trained mechanics perform. That said, Brembo calipers are pretty straight forward. Once you get the rebuild kits it is pretty simple to do.

John Zibell is telling you the truth.

Many times people have posted messages almost identical to yours. I understand.

Unfortunately, no manual is written to tell you how to do everything mechanical to your motorcycle. Service Manuals are written for a very particular audience, and that audience is skilled mechanics. They are more reference reading material and not a “How to” guide.

There are vast amounts of knowledge here and it is all fully indexed and searchable. This is a good starting point and of course, you can create new threads and gain insight from others here.

Start at the beginning with some pictures of what you have and explain what you want do with it. People will offer help and advice.

It’s a process. Good Luck!

Yes, the member forums were where I gained most of my info for doing up my XS650 and GB 500. Made some good friends in the process however, their advice was backed by publications and videos that illustrated such intricacies as valve lapping, points adjustment and top end refurbishment. The Guzzi is a more complex bird - I thought the "upright" sensor under the seat was a broken relay because it rattled, didn't realise its purpose 'til I tried to replace it at a dealer's who enjoyed the joke at my expense. A Haynes or Clymer provides a handy source of reference and the initial confidence to begin a dismantle. Oh well.... if there are none, I'll wear it and gratefully start to pick brains.
Thanks for your advice gents.
Cheers

This is how it works w/Guzzi, the manual familiarizes you w/their product. If you don't find what you want the Tech can call the Regional Service Tech and ask. It does not teach you how to do it. If you call Brembo(and I have) they tell you to buy new ones. It is considered racing brakes, non rebuildable. Good Luck in your search for social media video's & such, not much exists.

I am amazed at the number off people who come into my workshop and say things like “I called so-and-so, and he said he doesn’t work on (insert marque name) because it’s Italian (German, Austrian, Japanese, etc)”

Say what?

A piston and cylinder, a brake caliper, a steering head bearing, a chain and sprocket, a wheel bearing, etc is the same on an Italian motorcycle as it is on a German or American or Russian motorcycle. Yes, there may be minor nuances or differences, but the principle of what it is and how it works, is the same.

So this being said, if you understand concepts and principals, then it isn’t all that complicated in general.

I disagree entirely Scott. The order of disassembly, the sequential process of reassembly can make the world of difference between a successful project and an abortion that needs reconstruction. The number of turns, the size of jets, the weight of oil the recommended torque are all particular to the machine not its nationality. I have experienced that difference in engine, carburettor, brake, steering and suspension restoration. it's all very well to have a general idea but motorcycle engineers all have their own take on how the thing should work and how it goes together and only an optimist would hope that rebuilding a Mikuni will follow the same process as the reconstruction of a Dellorto - they do the same job but they approach it with their own idiosyncrasies. Its got nothing to do with the country of origin or the manual being in Urdu, it's about the engineering perspective and how it goes together. I trust this forum but it's a bit like walking with a cane.
No offence.

Good morning -- or, at least it's that here at the top of Virginia -- David.

My own moto-mechanical skillset is a bit beyond checking PSI and oil level ... but only a bit. ;)

Still, while untalented, I do enjoy tinkering. And, happily, at last so far, my self-inflicted wounds to my Guzzis have been easily enough fixed, thanks to folks here and some generous and more knowledgeable friends who stopped by and fixed things before I bit down on my cyanide capsule. :clap:

Now, that said, I will add that your position puzzles me. At 60K k, I would not have thought that an '08 Classic V7 would need much beyond periodic maintenance in the OM and SM.

And, I certainly would not have thought that rebuilding brake calipers would be high on any list at that "mileage." I take it that the PO or PO's did not do their duty with routine oil changes and other basic tasks?

Moreover, unless -- as appears to be the case -- you really enjoy reincarnating mechanical bits, is it really economically a better course over just buying new item if futzed beyond mere adjustment?

Now, OTOH, as all married guys reading this know, sometimes we just need plausible excuses to spend time down in the shop. :inlove: So, perhaps it helps to be able to say, "Sorry, Hon, I'm still in the throes of rebuilding those brake calipers, and no one on the web seems to have a clue. I may be some time." :giggle:

I disagree entirely Scott…I trust this forum but it's a bit like walking with a cane. No offence.

What is it with you Australians? Are you all surly and then brush it off with a casual “no offense”?

I don’t care that you disagree, that’s fine. I won’t waste time or energy trying to convince you.

However…

This forum is not “like walking with a cane” at all.

You obviously don’t know a single thing about the incredible high quality of this privately funded forum, or the lifetime of experience by many of its professional mechanic members, and well-seasoned amateur aficionados, which is offered here for free.

(You have no idea what an amazing treasure trove of people, immediately came to offer assistance to you)…

John Zibell is an expert Moto Guzzi mechanic and so is V700Steve. So am I, with my own workshop as well.

Any of us could write a Clymer or Hanes manual I’m sure. Many of my “How To” guides, like this one, are here and have been used by people around the world.

Bill Hagan is a World Class Gentleman, the most gentile individual here, who even came to offer you some of his wisdom and charm.

My my my…

You are going to win friends and influence people, especially us “cane walkers” with sweet words like that you silver tongued devil.

D6205FFC 7202 4B0F BCB1 A2D7D3F2BC13

Last edited:
So this being said, if you understand concepts and principals, then it isn’t all that complicated in general.
A little defensive there Scotty. I have no doubt Bill is a top bloke as, I am sure, are you. I am also sure that the membership of this forum, like so many others I have engaged with, is "an amazing treasure trove" of knowledge, skill and resource from which I hope to benefit. It is the above statement I disagree with. You remember disagreement, it's when someone has a different opinion and it bridges ethnic background, being an Aussie has nothing to do with it.
My apologies if I have given offence but, I must admit that the reaction has come across as a touch hypersensitive.
Cheers

Last edited:
I disagree entirely Scott. The order of disassembly, the sequential process of reassembly can make the world of difference between a successful project and an abortion that needs reconstruction. The number of turns, the size of jets, the weight of oil the recommended torque are all particular to the machine not its nationality. I have experienced that difference in engine, carburettor, brake, steering and suspension restoration. it's all very well to have a general idea but motorcycle engineers all have their own take on how the thing should work and how it goes together and only an optimist would hope that rebuilding a Mikuni will follow the same process as the reconstruction of a Dellorto - they do the same job but they approach it with their own idiosyncrasies. Its got nothing to do with the country of origin or the manual being in Urdu, it's about the engineering perspective and how it goes together. I trust this forum but it's a bit like walking with a cane.
No offence.
we've lost the plot here a bit, but I'm casting my vote with scott. the name on the side does not change how physics works, so if you understand how a carburetor functions I don't understand how it's relevant.

if you're doing it for a living, sure, the 15 minutes you save by having done *this* one becomes quite important.

I can't be any help with finding a repair manual, I think we're too small of a market for clymer or the like.

I buy the factory service manual every time I buy a new vehicle, if possible. Most (either car or bike) detail special procedures carefully, but are written with expectation that reader is familiar with basics. There are Haynes or Clymer manuals for some of the older Moto Guzzi’s, but not any recent models—too small of a market. So far, I have found every fastener torque specification I have looked for in the manual for my V85TT.

Please, my name is Scott. It is not Scotty.

Thanks.

I said what I said because you were insulting, not because I’m “defensive”.

Action and reaction Mr. Toll. Nothing more, nothing less.

After 40+ years of spinning wrenches on every marque of motorcycle you could think of, I know what is and what is not. I can fix literally anything on any motorcycle by virtue of my understanding of engineering principles. It is my passion, my obsession, and my occupation.

I do remember disagreement. It’s not your disagreement that you provoked me with and you must clearly know this if you read what I wrote.

It was your “walking with a cane” comment.

Last edited:
Scott was correct - the forum has proven to be "a treasure trove". A local member has generously forwarded me 5 manuals that mean I won't have to charge in blind and, more importantly, I will have the correct terminology to ask the right questions.
Appreciated gents.
Dave Toll

Back