• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First guzzi purchase options

qportx

Just got it firing!
Hi,

I am only 24, and am about to get V7 as a bike I always wanted and hopefuly for a long long time.
5-6000 euros is quite a lot of money for me so i want to make sure i made the right choice.

there are two guzzis in my city, both are v7 ii stone.
the first one has 13,500 km, seems to be in great shape, the seller changed the tires and did the whole official checkup at official guzzi. i've met with the seller and it went really well, down to earth guy. (5400 euros)

the second guzzi is little more expensive (6000 euros), the seller seems always busy etc, but the bike has only 1600km + 1 year of warranty.

My question is i guess, is 13.500km still considered a new bike (its 2015)...is it worth it spending a little more and getting a bike with extremely low mileage?

thanks

so cheaper option is higher mileage, no warranty but maintenance check done and new tires put on.
Okay thanks kiwi dave.

For me the cheaper option and spend the difference on GuzziTech mods
hopefuly later on, for now just some aesthetics addons like, put some clip on handlebars on, take that back side big plate off etc.... all that matters is that i want the bike to be a great base and in great shape, as i am spending a lot of my savings...and hope to have it for a long time. That being said, the bike was always at official guzzi service, i just want to know that 13.500 and 2000 is not really a difference.

Penny wise and pound foolish...

Think about this carefully. What would you be buying for your 600 Euros. 12,000 km and 1 year of factory warranty.

What does a single visit to the dealer for an "issue" cost for on average? 100-300 Euros seems reasonable.

So, if you visit the dealer within 1 year for 1 issue (and you will, I'm sure of it), then you have bought "Peace of Mind" via dealer support during your "honeymoon" period with the bike and and additional 12,000 km of "newness" for a paltry 300 Euros.

I don't know a single person who wouldn't trade 300 Euros to reduce their mileage by 12,000km on their motorcycle AND get a year of factory warranty service! Do you?

This is a no brainer for me. Besides, if I waived 5,900 Euros in front of the seller's eyes, he'd take it. I'd bet on it. So then I will have bought those lovely benefits for a hysterically cheap 200 Euros!

Don't be ridiculous. Think about this.

Penny wise and pound foolish...

Think about this carefully. What would you be buying for your 600 Euros. 12,000 km and 1 year of factory warranty.

What does a single visit to the dealer for an "issue" cost for on average? 100-300 Euros seems reasonable.

So, if you visit the dealer within 1 year for 1 issue (and you will, I'm sure of it), then you have bought "Peace of Mind" via dealer support during your "honeymoon" period with the bike and and additional 12,000 km of "newness" for a paltry 300 Euros.

I don't know a single person who wouldn't trade 300 Euros to reduce their mileage by 12,000km on their motorcycle AND get a year of factory warranty service! Do you?

This is a no brainer for me. Besides, if I waived 5,900 Euros in front of the seller's eyes, he'd take it. I'd bet on it. So then I will have bought those lovely benefits for a hysterically cheap 200 Euros!

Don't be ridiculous. Think about this.
Your right i guess. you guys don't make it easy for me...the thing is that ive already said yes to the first seller..he used the bike on long rides only so no city driving. The other seller doesnt seem very reasonable, he just wants to sell it quick, who know how he used the bike even if its almost brand new. I really dunno what to do.

Your right i guess. you guys don't make it easy for me...the thing is that ive already said yes to the first seller..he used the bike on long rides only so no city driving. The other seller doesnt seem very reasonable, he just wants to sell it quick, who know how he used the bike even if its almost brand new. I really dunno what to do.

It is easy if you think about "future costs" and that this is what I can only surmise as your FIRST Moto Guzzi.

Forget what you told the first guy. It doesn't matter.

You will have to do some sort of sorting out of a newer Guzzi. We all did on this forum, regardless of the model we ride. Do you want to have to pay for that sorting out yourself right after having paid for the bike? I think not.

A whole year of dealer support cannot be over-valued. It is worth a considerable amount in both money and peace of mind.

Offer the newer bike 5,900 Euro and go get it. The first issue you have of any kind, you will be SO HYSTERICALLY HAPPY that you have FREE access to the dealer during your "honeymoon" with the bike, and you will get to put the 12,500km wear and tear on your bike yourself for a pittance of a price difference.

Can you buy a km worth of usage on a V7 II for .048 Euros? If you assume the entire price difference between the 2 units just in terms of mileage, then that is precisely what you are buying - 600 Euros buys you 12,500 km, for a per km price of 0.048 Euros and you get a "FREE" 1 year dealer warranty which covers ALL parts and labor! Don't be foolish!

Last edited:
Can you buy a km worth of usage on a V7 II for .048 Euros? If you assume the entire price difference between the 2 units just in terms of mileage, then that is precisely what you are buying - 600 Euros buys you 12,500 km, for a per km price of 0.048 Euros and you get a "FREE" 1 year dealer warranty which covers ALL parts and labor! Do be foolish!
apart from the 1 year warranty, im surprised its a big deal, i though 13.500 km is basically a new bike. also if a guy rides 2000 km like an idiot its always worse then 14000 well ridden. aint that right?

apart from the 1 year warranty, im surprised its a big deal, i though 13.500 km is basically a new bike. also if a guy rides 2000 km like an idiot its always worse then 14000 well ridden. aint that right?

13,500km is NOT new. It's 13,500km worth of use and wear and tear. 2000km < 13,500 km. In fact, it's 1/6th the mileage, or 15% of the mileage of the higher mileage one.

You are missing the whole point here of what you are getting for your money. Do as you will. I've explained it to you to death and if you cannot see the logic and wisdom, then you just cannot see it.

I promise you, that you will have some issues with your motorcycle, regardless of which one you purchase. (Just look at the number of issues here on this forum alone!) The question is, who will pay for those problems for the next year? You or Moto Guzzi? Also, what is wear and tear worth to you? Only you can make up your mind here.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Fwiw my '13 V7 Stone is at about 15k miles and never had any warranty claim under the 2 year warranty anyway.

Forums largely attract people with problems looking for solutions. We can't tell a thing about real world statistics from them.

But thinking about the many owners of modern smallblocks I know a warranty claim is far from a guarantee.

Thanks, i will definitely take into account all this.

Ironically I'm a buy new for a warranty and no previous owner idiosyncracies kinda guy.

But just from your description I'd get the older/higher mileage one, not just for the cash but for what sounds like the better previous owner.

thanks for all the replies.

I will have a look at 2015 model with 1800km on it this saturday..warranty ending this april, if the seller will be willing to lower the price i will just go with it.
If not i will probably take the original guzzi with 13.500km.

The one with 1800km i talked about originally is out of game, i met with the seller and i cant deal with him. Its important who is selling the bike, at least to me.

Hi Scott,
Truth be told this whole experience is becoming more of a pain that enjoyment. I am 100% sure that if you start looking into a ducati or bmw and go on forums you will get a mild depression. No bike is perfect i know that, and yes, sometimes you get a "bad piece"...
the thing is you speak of guzzi as if i was buying a guzzi bike from '60s.

As far as my research etc. they are italian yes, italian built quality is utter sh*t , yes (saying that as european)but they were bought by PIAGGIO and they simply can NOT in this day and age afford to create a "handmade" bike as you said that is not reliable. The customer demands became extremely high not only in motorcycle industry but everywhere else, customers are more critical then ever and guzzi would be long gone if they wouldnt have made their modern bikes in fact "modern".

Just saying, i am 100% sure i would find the same type of topics if i would decide to go and get a ducati scrambler for instance.
I hope ill get a good piece, the warranty wont be there 100%, but there are still two options as i said. One with 1600 km and the original one with 13.500km.

Hi Scott,
Truth be told this whole experience is becoming more of a pain that enjoyment. I am 100% sure that if you start looking into a ducati or bmw and go on forums you will get a mild depression. No bike is perfect i know that, and yes, sometimes you get a "bad piece"...
the thing is you speak of guzzi as if i was buying a guzzi bike from '60s.
You are buying a 160's bike!

As far as my research etc. they are italian yes, italian built quality is utter sh*t , yes (saying that as european)but they were bought by PIAGGIO and they simply can NOT in this day and age afford to create a "handmade" bike as you said that is not reliable.
The customer demands became extremely high not only in motorcycle industry but everywhere else, customers are more critical then ever and guzzi would be long gone if they wouldnt have made their modern bikes in fact "modern".
WRONG! first thing they did was paint the engines black. like a Harley. it peeled off! they had to replace the engines. then they changed the bullet proof clutch to a single plate to save money and they failed. they they put in hydraulic lifters. great idea. wish they had kept with them but that was a QC failure too. Piaggio has not been the savior we had hopped for.
all that being said I still love them and will keep buying them. D S that I am.

Just saying, i am 100% sure i would find the same type of topics if i would decide to go and get a ducati scrambler for instance.
I hope ill get a good piece, the warranty wont be there 100%, but there are still two options as i said. One with 1600 km and the original one with 13.500km.

qportx,

Nowhere did I ever say that Moto Guzzi's are "not reliable". This applies to every Moto Guzzi I have ever owned (more than a dozen) including models from 1969 through 2012. What I said is that they all needed some sort of sorting out. I have travelled cross country in North America on Moto Guzzis. I would ride either of my motorcycles anywhere at a moment's notice!

Moto Guzzis are hand-built. This is a fact. If you ever go to the factory (I've been twice), you will see this with your own eyes.

Italian build quality is not shit. It's actually very good. As for Piaggio, I also own a 2007 Piaggio X9 Evolution 500cc ie Scooter. It was their flagship model and the pinnacle of their engineering in the MASTER engine still used today. My Piaggio scooter (their CORE business) had it's share of sorting out, but it is now, rock-solid.

Yes, on every forum for every product made, you will find problems and issues. This is raw information that you need to sort through and educate yourself about, if you want real world info. Some people whine about silly stuff but some people relay vital information of a serious issue or concern. Don't be so flippant.

Your original question was about "being worth the extra money" and as a father of three sons all around your age, I doubt very seriously that you wanted to hear well-reasoned answers to that question. What you really wanted to hear was "confirmation" from Guzziisti of the opinion you already had formulated in your mind. I apologize for disappointing you.

I answered you truthfully and with some logic and points to consider, rather than just saying, "No" like some others did. I happen to disagree with those individuals. Big deal. Who cares?

It's your money and your decision, but don't ask for an opinion, and then get pissed off because you don't like what you hear.

Still, I am excited to see a picture of your new motorcycle soon.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!

Last edited:
qportx,

Nowhere did I ever say that Moto Guzzi's are "not reliable". This applies to every Moto Guzzi I have ever owned (more than a dozen) including models from 1969 through 2012. What I said is that they all needed some sort of sorting out. I have travelled cross country in North America on Moto Guzzis. I would ride either of my motorcycles anywhere at a moment's notice!

Moto Guzzis are hand-built. This is a fact. If you ever go to the factory (I've been twice), you will see this with your own eyes.

Italian build quality is not shit. It's actually very good. As for Piaggio, I also own a 2007 Piaggio X9 Evolution 500cc ie Scooter. It was their flagship model and the pinnacle of their engineering in the MASTER engine still used today. It has had it's share of sorting out, but it is now, rock-solid.

Your original question was about "being worth the extra money" and as a father of three sons all around your age, I doubt very seriously that you wanted to hear well-reasoned answers to that question. What you really wanted to hear was "confirmation" from Guzziisti of the opinion you already had formulated in your mind. I apologize for disappointing you.

I answered you truthfully and with some logic and points to consider, rather than just saying, "No" like some others did. I happen to disagree with those individuals. Big deal. Who cares?

It's your money and your decision, but don't ask for an opinion, and then get pissed off because you don't like what you hear.

Still, I am excited to see a picture of your new motorcycle soon.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!
Scott, again thank you for your replies. I agree with everything. Unfortunately I dont think I will be able to get a bike with the warranty, so getting the bike with very low mileage 1-3000km hopefuly is the right way then.

Now thinking about it, wouldnt it be better to get the bike with 13000 because the sorting should be almost there? its been in the official service three times and its been well adjusted.

Thanks everybody.

Back