• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Breva 750 electrical problems

Is there any possibility it could be a problem with the controls on the handlebars? At this point I'm $2000 in repairs on this bike and only rode it 3 times. I can't afford to buy anymore parts at this time.
I guess I can always pull the lights out of the right side and use hand signals when turning right!

A stator and a regulator cost you $2,000 ???

A stator and a regulator cost you $2,000 ???

I bought it out of province and it failed the safeties, tires were old and cracked, battery dead, headlight was cracked, right side signals didn't work at all, no light for the license plate. It was winter so I left it at the local Kawasaki dealer and had them do the work which ended up costing $1200. My first ride this spring I got 75km from home when the battery died and we discovered the stator and rectifier were shot $900. 2 short rides and 100km later this happens.

Thank you everyone for walking me through this, I'd be pulling my hair out (what's left of it) and still trying to figure out how to test wires and connectors and ordering relays without your advice.

I bought it out of province and it failed the safeties, tires were old and cracked, battery dead, headlight was cracked, right side signals didn't work at all, no light for the license plate. It was winter so I left it at the local Kawasaki dealer and had them do the work which ended up costing $1200. My first ride this spring I got 75km from home when the battery died and we discovered the stator and rectifier were shot $900. 2 short rides and 100km later this happens.

Okay, so when you bought it for $1,000 you must have known that it was going to need some things. Tires, etc.

However, $1,200 for "tires were old and cracked, battery dead, headlight was cracked, right side signals didn't work at all, no light for the license plate. It was winter so I left it at the local Kawasaki dealer and had them do the work" Seriously? $1,200 for WHAT? You were ripped off my friend! I checked stuff at Harper's Moto Guzzi online, www.harpermoto.com

A headlight is $176, tires $300 at most, rear light bulb $5, so the other $720 was labor? Wow.

Did the same crooks do your stator and rectifier? A stator is $350 and a rectifier is $225 and both are plug in harness devices that can be changed in under an hour (one nut holds the stator onto the shaft) so you were hosed $325 labor over that too!

Unless I've missed something way off the beaten path here, I would be having a very serious conversation with the shop owner over this rape and pillage.

Screen Shot 2017 06 16 at 23101 AM

Screen Shot 2017 06 16 at 23117 AM

Screen Shot 2017 06 16 at 23647 AM

If you are going to keep this bike, and I think you should, then you should upgrade your membership here by making the small donation.

Click your picture and go to your profile and then click upgrade membership.

Then get access to the documents that are here including the wiring diagrams and repair and service manuals and stop being ripped off by that shop!

Worth pulling the switch apart and looking but I am pretty sure it just triggers the dash to flash.

You said the right hand signals didn't work at first and you had no licence plate light. When did the right side start this issue of being on steady. Did the left ones work and do they still work.

Try one last thing. Put the connector back on the dash and put that ground jumper back on the signal lights again Like u did last night. Have a suspicion.

Also pull the bulb out of the licence plate or disconnect it when u do the above. And then pull out the right side signal bulb at the rear.

Failing all that, pull off the tail light assembly and just look at the wires (especially to the licence plate light). What did they do to fix it?

I am not 100% convinced it is the dash but we have ruled out any other possible causes based on the stock wiring circuit. All bets are off if the did something that was not stock to wiring to get things to work. Shops always scare the crap out of me.

This will all only take time, no money. I hear you on the money crunch. You don't want to keep digging a money pit. You could totally remove the signal circuit from the dash and run your own using automotive signal relays. Would take some design to confirm it would work. In the meantime, hand signals are your cheapest option.

Last edited:
Worth pulling the switch apart and looking but I am pretty sure it just triggers the dash to flash.

You said the right hand signals didn't work at first and you had no licence plate light. When did the right side start this issue of being on steady. Did the left ones work and do they still work.

Try one last thing. Put the connector back on the dash and put that ground jumper back on the signal lights again Like u did last night. Have one less suspicion.

Also pull the bulb out of the licence plate or disconnect it when u do the above. And then pull out the right side signal bulb at the rear.

Failing all that, pull off the tail light assembly and just look at the wires (especially to the licence plate light). What did they do to fix it?

I am not 100% convinced it is the dash but we have ruled out any other possible causes based on the stock wiring circuit. All bets are off if the did something that was not stock to wiring to get things to work. Shops always scare the crap out of me.

This will all only take time, no money. I hear you on the money crunch. You don't want to keep digging a money pit. You could totally remove the signal circuit from the dash and run your own using automotive signal relays. Would take some design to confirm it would work. In the meantime, hand signals are your cheapest option.
Signals started acting up on Sunday was when I noticed them.

I'll try that tonight when I'm off work.
I wasn't able to get the dash apart last night, I was trying really hard not to force it apart and break the plastic.

I did get ahold of Carmo this morning, they quoted $75 for testing and $275 for the repair, so I might as well just order the new one when I get the chance.

I'd never been to the Harper site before, that would certainly have made things easier sourcing parts.

If you are going to keep this bike, and I think you should, then you should upgrade your membership here by making the small donation.

Click your picture and go to your profile and then click upgrade membership.

Then get access to the documents that are here including the wiring diagrams and repair and service manuals and stop being ripped off by that shop!

I think I did that wrong, I made a donation but I missed the part about upgrading my membership!

Give this a read. Pretty technical but gives a description of the dash board and how the signals work. I suspect you have the same issue except your switch is stuck in the closed position (power to the right channel all the time) or a couple of the pins are corroded together where his was stuck in the open. Makes more sense now looking at his schematics.

Would be an interesting thing to investigate if you have the skills. Since the signal just started giving u an issue I don't think it was anything the dealer did.

http://www.sorinpetrila.nl/2014/07/moto-guzzi-breva-750-turn-light-signals.html?m=1

Last edited:
Let me clarify. I don't believe your dealer or whomever you had work on your bike, caused this problem for you. However, I do believe that you were horribly overcharged BASED UPON YOUR DESCRIPTIONS ABOVE. I could be wrong if you left something significant out, but I don't think so. That is what I am trying to say.

Unfortunately, this is what I see all the time anymore. Dealers who don't know what they are doing, wasting time doing nothing, and charging $90+ per hour to do it. It's offensive to me in the greatest of measure. I will gladly pay top dollar for expertise, but unfortunately in the motorcycle world, most mechanics just plain suck anymore and you need to pick your "experts" very carefully and keep a tight reign in on what the charges will be.

As to your account, it's says you are now a GT Contributor so you should be able to go to the downloads section and download the service manual and wiring diagrams for your bike or any other Guzzi for that matter.

Welcome to the club!

He took a MG to a Kawasaki shop. It was always gonna take longer as they learned where the front of the motorcycle was. They charged accordingly.

I would never take a job to a shop without a fixed quote. In this case they would have probably told him to get lost, but then he wouldn't have had to pay such a large bill.

The past is the past. Let's leave that alone as it doesn't help him moving forward.

One thing u need to keep in mind is he is talking Canadian dollars. Right now it is around 35% lower than compared to the USD so it is apples and oranges in trying to compare costs.

Hopefully he can get it straightened out and get that bike going again.

Loki, call George at Corsa Meccanica in Vaughn Ontario. Just google it if you don't have the contact info. Tell him Joe C told u to call him. I spoke to him today and he said he doesn't have any dashes hanging around but he may be able to get u a good deal in CDN dollars if u want to go that route. He did say that those dashes are crap so he is not surprised.

-Still have to try this

- last Sunday, yes left ones work fine

Try one last thing. Put the connector back on the dash and put that ground jumper back on the signal lights again Like u did last night. Have one less suspicion.

- no change, nothing happens

- new fixture on the back with crimp fittings and heat shrink tubing. Looks fine

I still haven't managed to get the dash apart, I don't know what the secret is to it but I didn't want to force it and break the plastic.

Just an update

I sent the dash off for repairs and it wasn't repairable, and is being shipped back. All the common components tested fine it seems to be the main chip in the board. I've had a new dash on order from Harpers for quite a long time now but they are still waiting on stock as is every other place I've contacted. I've been watching ebay but had no luck so far, everything I've seen has been more expensive than a new dash.
Next step I guess will be figuring out how to wire the signals around the dash so I can get some riding done this year.

I was able to wire a 12 volt thermal flasher into the system by attaching it between wires 1&30. Temporary fix until a new dash is available. Hazards don't work and the dash signal indicator doesn't come on but at least I feel safe to ride on the road again.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Back