Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

2016 V 7 II won’t start.

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Country Roads, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Country Roads

Country Roads Just got it firing!

I just bought a brand new V 7 2 this week. It has 17miles on it. The bike will not start and the dealership is 7 hours away round trip so I was hoping it was something simple to fix. Here are the details.

1. Bike started several times at the dealership and when I unloaded it.

2. I drove it a mile or so and pulled back into my driveway.

3. I had it in neutral on the kickstand idling and went to put it in gear and the kickstand kill switch killed it.

4. After I turned the key off and on, it now wouldn’t respond to the ignition switch. Almost like I had the kill switch turned on.

5. it set 24 hours and I tried it again with the same outcome.

6. I was able to roll start it and it worked fine. ( I started it and drove it for 20 minutes thinking maybe the battery needed to charge, but after I was done, the response was the same. )

Any help would be appreciated

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Country Roads likes this.
  3. Country Roads

The salesman said that they don’t fill the battery with acid until they sale it. Not sure if that makes a difference

4. john zibell

It does make a difference, but if it isn't prepped correctly they won't last long at all. If done correctly the battery will give good service. If not there will be trouble. Guzzi even put out a service bulletin on battery preparation and if it isn't followed it can quit relatively quickly. If you search this forum you should find information on the issue. Again, give the battery a trickle charge and see if that solves your problem. If not, remove the battery and have it load tested which will tell you if it is good or bad for sure.

5. Country Roads

Thanks for your help on this. Since the closest dealership is 3.5 hours away, and it’s most likely a batterey issue. Other than the cost of battery, is there any reason I shouldn’t just go ahead and replace the battery to just be done?

6. Echon

Echon Just got it firing!

That I can see? No not really. I don't know what has would cost you to get to the dealership and back but I imagine that it might just be worth it to pick up the battery. The only thing that's be an issue is if the issue turns out to not be the battery.

7. john zibell

I don't believe in just throwing money at changing parts. Do the diagnostics to confirm it is the battery. Remove it, charge it, then have it load tested. If it fails the load test, replace it. If it doesn't fail then it is something else. It is just at this point we can't be sure of anything.

8. oldlegs

oldlegs Tuned and Synch'ed

Have you tried a jump start from a known good battery your car for example.

9. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

follow Johns advice. if it doesn't start after a few hours charging i'd look at the side stand switch adjustment. if it does it's the battery.

10. Country Roads

Thanks to all for the advice. I pulled the battery and took it to get it checked. They said it was fine. I took it back and reconnected it and it started right up. I didn’t charge it or anything... kinda scratching my head, but hey... it works. Thank you all.

11. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Sounds like the battery connections were loose. If it fails again have the dealership come and pick it up and bring it back when it's fixed. It's a new bike and should run like one. That's what a warranty is all about.

Trout likes this.
  12. Country Roads

I agree Raven, I called them and they acted like I was a nuisance. The general manager got on the phone and was a little better but I won’t buy another bike from them. The guy at the Cincinnati dealership was awesome, they just didn’t have the bike I wanted.

13. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

Over the last 1000 miles my V7 lll
    has failed to do so much as a click when I hit the button.2-3 times later it works fine. I suspect a poor connection from dirt rust? Behind the button. I will send it a shot of de-,OXit. (Screw spell check)
    when I get home from this run. Might be your problem too!

14. john zibell

15. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

I have it on the shelf at home. In Waynesboro Va. Three great days on the V7 lol so far but it pulled the button fail twice today.

Attached Files:

16. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I would say to all owners, use some contact cleaner on every switch and connector you can find on the bike. Might save lots of anguish later. There are lots of versions around, depending on where you are on this planet.
    I've always done so, and seem to have suffered very few electrical gremlins.

john zibell likes this.
  17. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

when I got back from the trip I pulled the cover from the start switch and cleaned the start button area then replaced the fuel filter just for safety's sake and while I was in there I rotated the three 4 prong relays under the tank and cleaned them too just in case one of them was the starting issue. started fine 20 times then yesterday it failed several times again. you hit the starter button and nothing. push again nothing, next push it fires right up like you hadn't ever pushed it before. Not a clue as to what is wrong.

18. Richard Ducati

Richard Ducati Tuned and Synch'ed

My 2014 V7 Special does the same thing. Seems like 3rd times a charm with mine. My machine only had 1,150 miles on it in Feb. 2018 when I got it, so it might be corrosion as previously posted. If I come up with a fix, I'll certainly post.

19. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

we can't be the only two!

20. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I've had similar issues, installed a starter relay by-pass this year and it solved the problem. I purchased it from MPH Cycles. Do a google search on "startus interupttus" and you'll find this is a known issue with other models (B11 I think?) and affecting some V7s.