Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by AbnMike, Aug 1, 2017.

1. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

after 50 years on Guzzis I find like women they are fun to play with, nice to look at but when they irritate you it's best to ignore them.

Mayakovski and Satch like this.
  2. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Or back away quietly and slowly.

3. Roose

Roose Tuned and Synch'ed

I made the mistake of putting cheap gas in the tank. It was a nerve racking tank--I had less than 1500 miles on the bike. Light came on after 50 or so miles. I was still 100 plus from home. Light the whole time. Stopped at Shell station put the premium 93 in, and within 5 miles the light went off and has stayed off.

4. Satch

Satch Just got it firing!

Maybe bad gas, but in my case I've been using the same fuel from the same Chevron station since the first tank. So I don't think bad gas solves the mystery for me.

5. vagrant

I hate to revive this but, I washed the 2017 V7III last Saturday and was promptly rewarded with the CEL light. It's been ridden twice since then 200 miles each time in dry weather. still on. yesterday I took off and rode 50 miles with it on then had to stop for coffee removal for about 10 minutes. when I restarted it went off and stayed off for 75 miles until the lunch stop. when I restarted it again it was back on. the dirty rotten SOB! I tool the battery cables off last night shorted them to each other and turned the key on and hit the brake. reassembled and IT"S STILL ON.
    Has anybody fixed it for sure? how about shutting off the o2 sensors.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

What error codes are you seeing?

7. vagrant

no way for me to check. I own 2 sets of cables one for Ga and one for Az. It appears both are in Az because I just spent 2 hours looking for them.
    I will see if Wayne or Guzzi Steve can check it out when this Corona crap is over.

8. vagrant

and today it went off right away and never came on again in about 6 re starts. go figure.
    make me wonder if the cloth type insulating wrap on the 02 sensor wires gets wet inside and take this long to dry.

Mayakovski likes this.
  9. Mayakovski

If this only happens when you wash the bike, then wash by hand the issue is solved.

10. vagrant

I do and this time it was a light rinse. going to try to remember to cover the o2 wires with something next time.

11. Mayakovski

Maybe it's the rinse. I wash by hand, clean water and a rag, same for the "rinse".

12. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

If it’s the O2 sensor, speaking from experience, the light would go off after about 6-10 restart, and stay off until 3 months later. I had this issue before I did the ECU mapping with GT map tool.

13. Louisv97

Louisv97 Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm curious if the O2 sensors help in adjusting the fueling when in higher altitudes? I was up in big bear city for the weekend, and from a dead stop the III would bog and just start cracking. the only to remedy this was to rev the engine higher than normal. Only then would it start moving. Came back down to sea level and fueling was spot on. this is with Todd's ECU reflash so im curious about this.

14. Chrisfer

Chrisfer Just got it firing!

On reflashed ECU the O2 sensors are disabled (too lean with).
    There is a barometric sensor, but only one...
    One measurement is done before starting, because the same sensor after measure the vaccum to estimat mass air flow !
    When changing altitude, it is preferable to switch the engine off and on again, so that it can be taken into account...

page 19 and following
    https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuqxioVGI9b-hvg5SvgEa5IpTHf2_g?e=QidGkH

Louisv97 likes this.
  15. Louisv97

I tried turning it off and on, but no luck. it felt like a crude traction control cutting power off. once i got it moving it was perfectly fine.

16. vagrant

I think u have another problem. I never had trouble with my III in Colorado at any height.

17. Louisv97

is your iii remapped?

18. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Altitude is controlled by all of the sensors collectively along with algorithms. The stock narrow band sensors are not for fueling corrections. On occasion, I have found that in resort towns have (on most occasions) poor gas. I have many flashes running around the world without any issues, including my development of them for sea level to 12k on Angeles Crest Highway. Air-cooled bikes tend to run terrible at elevation when you are used to sea level power.

19. vagrant

no

20. vagrant

yes way down on power and correct about the poor gas especially in the spring when they might still have a winter blend premium.