Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Air cleaner.... Ugggggggggg

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by roadventure, Feb 20, 2017.

1. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Went out for a spirited ride on the Cali yesterday - oh boy oh boy oh boy! I swear it is running better, probably due to the left side valve adjustments. Little bit more intake honk, and much better very slow steady-throttle cruise (as in putting through a small town with 20 mph speed limit). And I said spirited, didn't I? When I passed a pickup towing a horse trailer that pulled out in front of me, reminded me of grabbing a bunch of throttle on my dear departed Centauro. Gonna download the map and send it to Todd and see what he says. But I am a very happy boy.

2. Didier

Didier Tuned and Synch'ed

They says to replace it after 6000 miles or 10.000 km., do you think it need to be replaced so soon?

3. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

No, unless you ride in very dusty conditions. I replaced what I believe was the original air cleaner on my Norge at 30,000 km and it was spotless. I only replaced it because I got a CNC open air box lid from Todd and a BMC filter.

4. Didier

I thought so, thanks Raven

5. Dan Brooks

Dan Brooks Tuned and Synch'ed

I cleaned my filter the other day while attaching wires for my stereo amp (in the top box) and with the battery out the air box is easy to get to. I use my cheapo (harbor freight $3) xtra long needle nose pliers on the side clips. Removing the battery is pretty easy and makes the air box easy to deal with.

sir fred likes this.
  6. Didier

Good to know it's not a big job.

sir fred likes this.
  7. Didier

Not a big job, took me 1.5 hours but no more lower clips.

8. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

I know yours is a popular attitude but I can speak from the point of view of the designer of commercial vehicles and I can state just the opposite. Every design I have participated in was made to make service and maintainence as simple as possible. Sometimes "special" tools need to be created to deal with a particularly difficult access problem that might result from the sequence of assembly. But, I have never run into a design idea that a design was created to aid dealers or service people in charging more for their work.

9. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

Like was stated earlier, I just use the top clips and take the battery out when cleaning or changing the filter. Still its tricky to hold on to just those two, almost lost one but I found one of the side clips I had lost before. The fit is pretty tight so I don't see any issue with just the top clips.

Didier likes this.
  10. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

I can understand that you feel the way you do, however I doubt that any manufacturer who has had you design something for them, has told you directly to make it as easy to maintain as possible. Who are you trying to kid? I simply do not buy that for a second.

A classic example of what I stated earlier is the inner "long term" spark plug on dual plugged head Moto Guzzi. The factory is not the least bit shy about stating publicly for the owner to "take it to your local Moto Guzzi dealer to have these plugs replaced"!

That's hogwash! All you need is a thin walled socket and some extreme patience to remove stuff to get access, but the removal of that stuff in your way is a royal PITA. So much for making "service and maintenance as simple as possible." :shake:

11. roadventure

Believe whatever conspiracy theories you wish to buy into. My reality is that I (and my team) regularly designed for situations that would make machinery simpler to maintain. On the other side of the equation is design for manufacture and assembly which is sometimes opposed.

Regarding manufacture advice to take to the dealer, they have no idea of your personal mechanical skill level, so will advise to the lowest-common-denominator. If you disagree and can do the work yourself, do so. It's really that simple.

12. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

So let me get this straight. If somebody (myself in this case) disagrees with your opinion, then they are all of a sudden, a conspiracy theory proponent? How classy! :think:

The bottom line is that manufacturers of vehicles - cars, motorcycles, boats, planes, rarely if ever take into consideration the design of functional simplicity and ease of maintenance and repair from the perspective of the owner/operator.

Moto Guzzi and BMW with their airheads, used to be, and even up until the V7 line, Moto Guzzi was still fairly decent.

Either way it makes no difference to me as I can wrench just about anything and absolutely everything of mine.

Cheers!

13. roadventure

No, not at all. You may disagree as much as you like. But you will, in my experience, be wrong. Stating "that manufacturers of vehicles - cars, motorcycles, boats, planes, rarely if ever take into consideration the design of functional simplicity and ease of maintenance and repair from the perspective of the owner/operator" is simply uninformed and wrong. There is no conspiracy to make machinery difficult to service so that owners must make use of qualified, trained professionals to perform the work.

I am sorry that you may have found it challenging to perform service work on some of your machines, however to make a blanket statement that no consideration is given to service and maintenance is incorrect. I know better.