• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva/Norge/Sport - Bar Risers de Oz

Re:Breva/Norge Bar Risers de Oz

londonrob wrote:
How much would you be asking for your version????

Dunno yet, as you can imagine there is a lot of machine time in it, but of course I am not in it to make profit, just cost recovery and a bit of play money for my time and effort.

The anodising cost me about $60 AUD but that was for a one off minimum charge, so I am sure a batch would be heaps cheaper. We can in fact make em any one of a number of colours and the logo can be coloured any colour as well - today I am going to put the gold colouring into the engraving - using a resin that is then baked on in the oven for permancy :woohoo:

I thought that silver with red logo might look nice, and considered red risers with black logo, but in the end I went for black with gold logo to go with the black plastic bit around the ignition.

Materials cost - no idea, this set was made with a bit of stuff I had lying around.

coz i guessed correctly can I buy the first set?

Sure - you feeling lucky?

How much mulla you got - go on make my day...... :silly:

GrahamNZ wrote:
Mike

All very impressive work. Now how about a little something to make the 'bars on a Breva lower?

Graham

How about 1200 sport handlebar clamps and some renthal bars?

Mike.C wrote:
Sure - you feeling lucky?

How much mulla you got - go on make my day...... :silly:

;) If I can find some cheap AUD, I'll send as much as I can get my hands on. ;)

Probably :eek:hmy:

A quick search of the ATMOSS database (Aussie trade mark register) reveals that the logo was registered with IP Australia on 24th December 1996, and the registration is current until 24 December 2016 when it will come up for renewal.

The applicable law states: Trade Mark registration provides the owner with legal rights to exclusive use, and/or control of the use of the trade mark throughout Australia for the goods or services for which it is registered. A trade mark has value as an asset so long as it used by the owner for the goods or services registered.

So I guess the answer is yes. However the design as it stands is strictly for personal use on my own bike, and if the owner of the trade mark registrant company (listed as Moto Guzzi S.p.A.) want me to take it off my bike, then frankly although I love the bike, they can come and take their bloody Breva with the crap fuel mapping that makes it pink in Summer, switch gear that stops working in the rain, instruments that leak and then fog up at the most inconvenient moments, a speedo that has never been properly calibrated and continually reads about 10% high, stupid horn button which is where the indicator switch should have been and makes for regular tooting when negotiating corners, crappy seat that needed lotsa dollars for a redesign to prevent continual gonad shape adjustment by squashing them into the tank, front suspension that feels like it was made by Cadillac in 1954, a centre stand that scrapes when you even look around a corner, front brake rotor mounts that are installed at the factory by an imbecile with gorilla arms who makes them so tight that they cause brake pulsing and quite possibly rotor warp, a clutch master cylinder that leaks, rear vision mirrors that vibrate, an engine management computer that is so voltage sensitive that if the battery is more than a week old and drops voltage by a poofteenth it locks the starter out of the circuit thereby stranding the owner on the morning of an important ride when the weather is perfect, and lastly badges with the Guzzi logo on them glued to the tank that are so poorly made that they are corroding from the inside out and look like they are from a bike made last century rather than a bike that is only 3 years old. (Don't get me wrong, I do love my B - really!!! :p )

However, having said that if some legal eagle (pun definitely intended) wants to make a big fuss about it I will gladly cancel the whole project, in which case photos on the web are all that anyone else will ever see of it.

Bottom line is this is not a "profit" making enterprise - to date if I add it up I have spent something like $1500 - $2000 in broken cutters, anodising, machine repairs and other costs to get this far. But of course the law says that profit doesn't have to be involved - so publicaly - game set and match.

Privately however, if a mate wants me to do some engraving on a bit of scrap aluminium for him/her as a favour, then I would be only too happy to oblige. B)

The gold colouring took a few goes to get right with lots of mess and cleaning it off and having another go. Then into the oven for curing. Looks nice, and thinking about it I recon white would look quite good as well, and in fact red risers with black logo would look pretty spiffy as well.. Hmmm maybe I could have a selection of colours to go with the mood of the day - red for go fast, gold for show N shine, black for inconspicous travel...... no no no that would be silly wouldn't it :unsure:

Fit is OK, a bit of adjustment and I will be happy - I did however find out that the castings of the bars are not the same left to right. Our left right shapes are mirror images but the bars are slightly different.

What actually happened is we made them a perfect fit to the triple clamp shape, not realising that the casting and machining of the bars would be different - oh well it is a Guzzi after all...

And the bottom plate is really good!

Note that the final version of teh bottom plate will have the step machined into it, allowing it to be installed without the additional riser blocks. This is prototype Version IIIb which for me is fine because I will always want the higher setting.

I realised when I put them on and sat on the bike for admiring time that the holes for access to the fork adjusters are very fugly - so I might make a couple of nice caps to cover them up, all it needs is a round thingummy to fit. It can be a press fit with an O-Ring to hold it in, simple.

Cable length - at this rise (about 20mm) they are fine, any higher and a new brake hose would be required - sitting on the bike I think I would like another spacer higher and so will have to investigate the hose options.

Next job is to sus out what is the most economic/practical thickness of stock to make each piece from, tweak the tool paths to change the shape slightly and then we should be right to go.

Looks good ... on a Breva! We Norge owners don't have that bit with the 3 buttons on it next to the key. Our plastic plate keeps that covered, and if you remove that, you get a sort of "techno look" visible in the other Norge riser thread, that I for one don't particularly care for. Any chance to cover up that gap?

I'm really impressed Mike.
My pile of washers and i bow down in your presence!
If you want a uk agent i'll gladly be your pimp!! :lol:

RJVB wrote:
Any chance to cover up that gap?
Yep should be no worries, all I need is an accurate outline of the shape that would fit and we can do something about it. Best way is to draw it in some drawing software like Corel etc. print it out, and cut around the lines and use suck it and see fitting till you get it right, email me the file and we'll get to work - easy!

Time well spent Mike.:woohoo: CHEERS I like the MG Eagle there as much as the risers as I don't mind the stock bar height (after the Lemans!) Always missed the Eagle. Even the B750 has it in that location.
Excellent
Lee

Hello Mike,
I'm new on this forum, and I live in Paris (close) France.
My bike is a Grey Norge GTL since 2007. It's my 5th Guzzi. 850T, 850T3 with a 1000kit, 1000SP, 1100 calif ev touring.I used to have also a Yam 1100XS with a sidecar, a Aprilia Caponord, and a st1300 Honda.
I'm very impressed by your bar riser, for the quality and design, and I'd be interested by a grey anodised model (like the Norge original handle bar)I could paint myself in red for example the logo and the eagle.
Have you an idea of your price?
Best regards

Vizir

Back