Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Bypassing the startup Fob

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by dancoll, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Rosscoe674

Rosscoe674 Just got it firing!

Disabled mine the other day as per the procedure listed in this post. Works a treat but you have to be quick. get someone else to read the instructions. Took four attempts getting quicker each time. Now if I want the alarm on I can use the fob, otherwise just key in and start.

2. Guzzi Rich

Guzzi Rich Just got it firing!

Tony, being temporarily stranded, especially in rain, is an emotional challenge. Opening the key fob and discovering dampness was the problem rocks.

I successfully used the key fob by-pass steps suggested by Mike Edmonds, and others, in these forum pages. Only took me three attempts to get the sequence right. Happy, happy, happy.

3. Tony Stroud

Tony Stroud Just got it firing!

I am motivated to get an assistant and try again to disable the alarm, tried it about 10 times when I first got the bike, but no luck!!!

4. dancoll

dancoll Just got it firing!

I was able to successfully disable the FOB with Mike's instructions. It did take a few tries to get it disabled, gotta be quick :)

Thanks Mike!

5. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

I have been reading these posts and wonder about something. I have a California Custom which does not come with the alarm. However, I COULD purchase the alarm from MG and install it. The California Touring DOES come with the alarm. Just as I could ADD an alarm to my Custom, couldn't those of you with a TOURING model remove the alarm? It seems to me that this would certainly stop any issues with the alarm keeping the owner from operating his motorcycle.

6. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

I reprogrammed my alarm yesterday (took 6-7 times) on my touring to allow me to use the alarm when I choose rather than automatically arming itself after engine shutoff. I posted my screw up on another forum regarding a wet alarm fob and not being able to start the bike. I certainly don't want to repeat that.

I was always paranoid about not being able to start my roadking using its alarm system so I never used it. I just used my heavy chain and/or front disc lock if I felt a need.

7. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yes. I removed the alarm from my Touring, believing I was most likely to be the only person ever inconvenienced by it. Removal is as simple as unplugging it behind the left side cover.

Stephen

8. Tony Stroud

Tony Stroud Just got it firing!

With an assistant reading the commands, it took just 2 attempts and the auto arm function is now cancelled....thanks for the advice Guys.

9. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

IIRC, the alarm was included in one of the promotions for the 2014 model year. My California 1400 Custom, does NOT have the alarm, but a Touring I was looking at did. Heated grips were another promotion incentive (for both models) also...

10. JGBoise

JGBoise Just got it firing!

Hello, I just got a 2014 California 1400 Touring. It came with two keys and two fobs, and one key with red plastic on it. After I turn off the bike I see a gently flashing red light indicating its alarmed. However, when I push the key fob buttons (they light up, so battery is good) the bike does not chirp as if it's armed. Pushing the fob buttons does nothing, from what I can tell.

Does this mean my alarm has been bypassed already? Any feedback welcome. Thank you.

11. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I think the flashing red LED is just a flashing LED. After a week or two of no riding, it will stop flashing to save battery drain.

John L likes this.
  12. JGBoise

JGBoise Just got it firing!

You must be right. I took the remote fob off the key ring, then walked outside and the bike started just fine using only the key. So that means my fob doesn't activate the security alarm. I'll assume the alarm system has been deactivated somehow.

13. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

My touring had the alarm installed as "standard" I suppose as I bought a couple accessories and paid for them but not the alarm.

14. caswain

caswain Tuned and Synch'ed

All tourings come with alarm fitted as standard
    the red blinking light on the dash is the imoboliser
    if your alarm is wired to the bike a red blinking light will be seen on the clutch side, side panel
    you can deactivate the alarm by placeing the plastic loop bung (that came with your keys ect) in the wiring of the alarm
    The red plastic card is the code for the bike, dont loose it, keep it safe

Chet Van Aken likes this.
  15. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

I agree with the other guys about the alarm, following Mike's instructions is a great idea. Now I can activate the alarm when I'm at a hotel overnight and not be worried about the fob going dead from using it every time. One nice thing about having separate keys for the bags is that you can put your spare fob in them and keep the bag key in your wallet in case of a problem...

16. DTXGuzzi

DTXGuzzi Just got it firing!

I just purchased my first Guzzi this afternoon, a 2014 California Touring model. I pick the bike up on Saturday and would like to replace the batteries in the two alarm fobs. Does anyone happen to know what size batteries the fobs use? I won't have them in my hands until I pick the bike up this weekend. Thanks!

17. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

When I bought my Touring I was supplied with one key fob and no code card. I didn't really think too much about it at the time although I did deactivate the alarm. Only after contacting the UK distributor of these alarms for an additional fob was I informed that without the code card a replacement or additional fob could not be programmed. As stated above DO NOT LOSE IT. I contacted the dealer from whom I bought the bike but they were unable to locate either the card or fob and subsequently supplied a replacement alarm.

18. rudylexus

rudylexus Just got it firing!

2 of these for 1 fob. Grtz Rudy

Attached Files:

DTXGuzzi likes this.
  19. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

I did the same thing lol

20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Yep, I was gonna say the same thing, but wissing bet me to it. Definitely no alarm on the two Customs I purchased.