• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Carked CARC

Mike.C

High Miler
Business is quiet, and so today (Friday) I decided to run some errands. First up went to the Ceramic coaters just over the North side of Brisbane to show them the headers as they said on the phone it doesn't look right from the pics when I sent the a link to the story here - indeed it is not right and they are happy to re-do them as it turned out. Next stop was John Stamnas who makes the Goodridge braided brake lines, he is up at Cooroy - about 160km north.

Weather was perfect this morning but came over cloudy just before I left the office at about 1100 - could have been a sign of dark clouds gathering, however I blissfully took to the road, as boring as the Bruce highway north of Brisbane is, I enjoyed the ride, although forgot how hard it is to hang on without a fairing, which I have taken off in preparation for the new one which I am working on this weekend.

Until I got to Cooroy and stopped to fill up with fuel, and noticed the back wheel was covered in oil, Oh shit!!!

Went to Stamnas and after some inspection and measuring he is very kindly going to make a new set of brake lines with slightly different specs, and has changed the specs for the Breva lines in his records - not that the originals were unsafe or poor fit, they just weren't as good as they could be - great service. So now if you order a set they will be perfect.

So then had to make a decision - after thinking about the alternatives (wait about 3-4 hours for the Minister to arrive with the trailer, leave the bike at Cooroy to be picked up later, or ride home and hope for the best) I decided to ride home, the tyre was probably already toast and a quick wobble of the wheel revealed that the bearing was probably not about to collapse completely.

Right hand corners were definitely a slow affair.. Got home OK and this is the aftermath, sorry about the pics it is about 1830 here and dark on the back deck where we keep the bikes - the CARC is definitely carked. :(

Aw nuts! At least you made it safely home.

Where is the oil coming from? Bearing seal?

I wish you luck with that Mike. Any play in the bearing/wheel rim? It"could" just be the seal having given way, if you are really lucky.
I have the opposite, play in the bearing, but oil tight so far.
Mine is still under warranty, but have been waiting since November for Guzzi to get their collective fingers out and sort it. They keep finding excuses not to do it. Probably hoping the warranty will run out so they don't hve to do it. Two independent MOT (vehicle safety check in the UK) inspectors have said it's faulty, so it's not just me.

PS. The BMW seal is a lot cheaper than the Guzzi one in the UK. I think it's 1 mm different in thickness.

I had a quick play with the wheel when I got home, and although it sounds gravely when spun I could not feel any free play, but I'll have a good look tomorrow.

The oil is definitely coming from between the brake rotor and the CARC housing, running down onto the clip that holds the brake hose and dripping onto the tyre, so the seal is high on the list.

Warranty ran out in February.

I was wondering on the way home if there is a creamic bearing available that will fit, then it would never happen again.

So it's going to be the carc output seal. It seems to happen to most of us and it an easy fix. Drain the oil, remve wheel and dust cover. Ease out the seal. I drilled it with a small 5mm bit to allow leverage to ease it out. Push the new seal in and top up the oil. Start savin dor the seal £45 expensive.

Mike

Sorry to hear of your trouble. If that happened to me I'd have had the bike collected rather than ride it. That's what wives are for!

Looking at the photos, could it be that the black thrower cover over the oilseal is missing? There should be a dished steel cap between the wheel and oilseal. The cap is a press fit onto the wheel hub and is there to protect the oilseal from water and debris. The early Brevas did not have the cover but it was added when the CARC recall was carried out.

If you have no bearing play you might be lucky and need only the oilseal. You should be able to assess the bearing tracks and balls for galling and the integrity of the cage with the oilseal out. The state of any oil still drainable will be intersting too.

CARC is an ominous name for that big lump of equipment!

Surely a thorough washing with hot water and strong detergent should remove the oil from your new tyre? After all, it's not as if the tyre has been exposed to oil for long.

Good luck
Graham

If it sounds "gravely" when you spin the wheel, there's some metal bits not agreeing in the carc, it may be a bit more rogered than just a seal

So the state of play at the moment is - yes it is definitely CARKED.

I cleaned up the bike on Staurday morning and before I had fininshed there was more oil on the rim.

Actually I had a good wobble of the wheel, and the bearing has got noticeable freeplay, and is probably the cause of the seal failure, but I recon the tyre might be OK - cleaned it up, and although the oil is ingrained a bit, it's worth doing a wait and see. The brake pads are definitely U/S and will need replacing - made for an interesting ride home on Friday afternoon in peak hour traffic prior to the long weekend with only a front brake.

Murphy - the bike has done 15400km

Graham you are also right, there is no dust protector fitted which got me thinking.

I was under the impression for some reason that the original recall had starting and ending VIN numbers. I do remember asking the servicing dealer which at the time which was Pro Euro in Moss street (but have now closed up shop and been swallowed up into Pro Kawasakai!), and who are also where I bought the bike, if they could check to see if it was in the recall range.

My recollection is that they said it was prior to the starting VIN, and I thought nothing more of it, until now.

Yesterday I dragged out the original recall notice which I got from the old old old forum and happened to have kept, and it actually says: "The frames concerend are those PRIOR (my emphasis) to: ZGULS..6M111954 for Griso 1100 - ZGULP...6M113250 for Breva 1100" and " the rear transmission boxes concerend are those PRIOR to 003171.

Had a squzz at my VIN and it is ZGULP00025M112739 and clearly should therefore be subject to the recall..

So today we will make some enquiries, and Pete R has kindly offered to help, so one way or the other we should soon be sorted!

Mike, I'll call JSG today and give them your VIN and explain the situation. The factory *should* of sent sufficient replacement units for all bikes so if yours hasn't been done, (Did you buy the bike new?) then it should be a straightforward claim.

Pete

Just emailed you this but in case you miss it.....

Mike, I just spoke to Essio Forcella at JSG. He's going to start putting the wheels in motion. He suggested that you take it to Tommy or Gold Coast Suzuki to get it done. I gave him your email so with a bit of luck he'll ping you.

Pete

Mike,
Great news it may be covered. Hats off to Pete Roper. I too just missed the recall by a few hundred bikes so I have always been concerned there may have been a couple of rear units sitting on the shelf to use up.

Surely a thorough washing with hot water and strong detergent should remove the oil from your new tyre? After all, it's not as if the tyre has been exposed to oil for long.
Good luck
Graham[/quote]

As far as the tire goes I agree with Graham; I had a rear seal in the Lemans let loose and I ended up limping a long distance home, cleaned the tire well and after a couple of heat cycles I got the rest of the miles out of it.

I like a CARC descripton from the old Forum: Constant Annoying Rattles And Clunks

Good luck
Lee

Back