• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Carked CARC

Mike, you've had at least a week now. If you stopped machining bar risers you could have scribed a whole new carc out of a solid block by now ;-)

Hope it gets fixed up soon.

Mate bar risers haven't turned a wheel since (I think) 2 weeks ago, a small problem of the mill controller deciding not to play the game and being currently half way between here and Sydney after being checked out and found to be in perfect health, although last time I had my grubbly mits on it it was definitely not playing that game - maybe I have bad karma the number of times it has broken down :(

Anyway problem is a tralier - being a cheapskate I am trying to borrow one and won't see my "mate" who owns one until tomorrow morning when I will use some gentle persuasion to get him to part with it for a few days :p

Pity we don't have someone like Pete here in the UK.
I use a reputable Guzzi dealer, and their mechanic/part owner is the one who failed to register the service he did, so now Guzzi are saying the warranty is void.
And so it goes on.
I have emailed Guzzi again, and received a reply that my query has been passed on to the appropriate office, but nothing else. Not holding breath while waiting either.
Could you could send me a copy of the recall note? It might help my case a little as I thought there were some details of CARC serial numbers on there.
brianlec at o2.co.uk

Your worry, should they not play ball is the damage the swarf might have caused to the rest of the innards.

Breva Ambulance ready to rock and roll

Took a couple of heart in mouth moments, quite a bit of grunting and after stuffing a couple of rags in the exhaust ports we will be ready to go tomorrow morning. I am going to get them to check the codes etc and agree to fix it under recall or not as the case may be before I leave it with them, so we will either be leaving him at Newell's tomorrow or bringing him home for local TLC.

Mike.C wrote:
BTW, If you need a copy of the recall I have it ;) and yes by my reading of it my bike should have been done.

Mike, remember I commented that in one of your photos I couldn't spot the thrower disc over the CARC oilseal area. That thrower was fitted as part of the recall. If yours has no thrower my guess is that it has not had the CARC recall done. Finers crossed.

Well, after reading the service note, it appears that my CARC is also within the recall range, having number 001554 stamped on it, and no R either.
Here we go again.
Problem is, I get the impression that the dealer would prefer not to do it as they don't make any money out of it. What Guzzi pay for warranty work is about half what they charge their customers by the hour.

Brian, is your bike currently off the road waiting for this fix?

This is not warranty work, this is a recall. They can't refuse to do it. Of course, you might find them less grumpy if you combine it with a service, and possibly some other work you'd like to have done... (wheel coming off -> new rear tyre, that sort of thing).

For anyone used to doing their own oil changes and having common tools, exchanging a CARC themselves is easy. Lifting the thing is the hard part! Of course a bike with a cenrestand makes the whole task easier. Lubing the CARC input shaft splines with grease where they slide into the universal joint on the driveshaft is a good idea, as is applying a non-setting sealant to the face of the CARC where it abuts the swinging arm casing. That's to keep water out rather than oil in.

The bearing failure I experienced was with an exchanged CARC, and I recall someone else reporting similarly. Before adding oil to a new CARC is a good time to check for bearing play.

RJVB wrote:
This is not warranty work, this is a recall. They can't refuse to do it. Of course, you might find them less grumpy if you combine it with a service, and possibly some other work you'd like to have done... (wheel coming off -> new rear tyre, that sort of thing).

I can't see any plausible reason for not doing it or being grumpy about it Rene? It's incredibly easy and takes about 20 minutes, maybe less on a Breva because you don't have the speedo sensor on the rear wheel so that's two less bolts t undo.

Basically though its

Brake off

Wheel off

Torque arm unbolt.

Undo four bolts and remove CARC.

Replacement is just a reverse of the above.

Pete

Maybe I'm over-interpreting things, but my remark was based on what Brian wrote: "Problem is, I get the impression that the dealer would prefer not to do it as they don't make any money out of it. What Guzzi pay for warranty work is about half what they charge their customers by the hour."

Is there a reason why the non-ABS Breva and the Griso don't use the same speedo sensor setup?

GrahamNZ wrote:
... suffered a CARC breather tower failure...
Wow! How can it fail? Such a simple part, doing basically nothing.
It amazes me that Guzzi should produce such a hunk of junk when everyone else seems to be able to make reliable final drive units.
Really?
1193673376.jpg

Rearendleak.jpg

3ackok

The breather tower was seeping oil slightly so I took a spanner to it and things didn't feel right so I unscrewed it to find that the coarse thread used had almost sheared at the root. No radiusing had been used.

I've already apologised for not keeping abreast of BMW inadequacies! ;) Now that is a failure which could kill someone. Guzzi is best! Guzzi is best! :) :)

Why not the Japs too? Aren't you glad of seeing some proof they're human after all? :silly:

Seriously, no matter how well you design things, I don't believe you can have the asymmetric load on a single-sided swing arm and see less failures than with a symmetric design.

RJVB

The Kawasaki GTR1400 doesn't have a single sided arm. It's a clever parallelogram system. ;) The failure looks like an oil seal. Can happen to anyone. :( Now the BMW failure pictured looks like the works went BANG! :woohoo:

I wonder why the best race bikes use chains.........and telescopic forks! ;)

Geordie, no the bike is not off the road, but I am not doing any long trips until it has been sorted.
The oil seal is still tight, but could go any time, and I don't really want to risk that a long way from home.

On the who does it issue, the guy's words were (as far as I can remember) "we normally try to get them to go back to the dealer who sold them the bike."
But tough.

Pete, on the Norge, there is an ABS sensor to remove to, which must take at least another few microseconds.:laugh:

Back