• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Carked CARC

Congrats indeed ... and so much for what I thought of C.I.'s reputation!

Thankfully, common sense has prevailed. The initial response sounds like a clerical error that was not followed up with a WTF. You ended up having to do that.

Now all I have to do is tie the buggers down to a date to do it.

Wouldn't mind if they gave me the parts, can't be that much of a job to do.

But what's the odds that something else goes on the first long run I get to do, which should have happened earlier, when still within the warranty (expires this weekend).

René, divide Corsa into two parts, sales and workshop. They are run by different people, and Paul and Brian, who run the sales/spares side are fantastic.

Brian, isn't it them who handle warranty claims (as opposed to ditto repairs)?

There does semm to be the attitude amongst some UK dealers, of why they should do warranty or recall work on bikes not sold by them. They claim that as the warranty or recall work costs them money (Guzzi only pay a set rate and time for this work) it should be done by the dealer who made the profit on the sale in the first place.
Of course they conveniently forget that they sell bikes to people who are in another area, and recently to people in Europe and beyond, which will never come back to them for any of this work.
Don't know how common this is in other parts of the world. Perhaps it depends on what hourly rate that dealer normally charges their customers.

I know of at least one dealer in the Paris area who does the same (Moto Légendes).

Thing is, I doubt they can refuse legally. What if your dealer retired, went broke, ceased being a dealer of the brand in question, or simply is who knows how far away because you moved? *You* as the owner are entitled to warranty or recall work being done without having to pay for it, and Guzzi *will* pay whoever does the work. Part of the cost of doing business...

In the US, dealers are paid their normal labor rate.
The number of hours paid is sometimes a sore point.
(6.2 hours for the California clutch).
Customer pay work would be done at the same rate, but more hours.
That is the sore point. Not a huge deal, but it can affect attitude.

Having bragged about never having legit claims turned down, I got refused 5 this week.
There is an appeal process, but it is a headache and I haven't had time to jump through the hoops, yet.

USA dealers also get a 20% mark up on the cost of the part.
On big money items, that is often as much as the difference between MSRP and dealer cost.

We've done warranty work on bikes from at least 7 states outside of Texas. No problem.
Kinda puts a burr under my saddle when someone buys a bike from out of state, then brings it to me
for warranty work.

I was told a few months ago that in the UK, dealers get a standard £28 per hour for warranty and recall work, with the number of hours stipulated too of course. This can be just half what the dealer would normally charge per hour.
Th eother thing is that the dealer has to pay for the part on ordering, and does not get reimbursed until the faulty part is returned, or for some time at least. Paul at Corsa told me he was owed £13000 for warranty work done.

So to some extent I can understand the attitude, but of course it's the owner who suffers.
It's not as if I just took the bike there for the warranty work, I also had it serviced there last September, and have bought loads of spares there over the years.

There was one dealer in the UK who was discounting the sale price of new Guzzis, but had almost zero workshop facilities, so could never do warranty work. Many dealers got pissed off with that situation understandably.
They are no longer Guzzi dealers.

Well I got a call at 8.00pm this evening. Poor Baldrick was still at work. :evil:
The large bearing is on order, all the other parts are in stock. He is going to change both large and small bearing, plus of course the oil seal. He also has the boot clips in stock. So they must be available separately n the UK Pete.

Well, i'ts all finished. Back wheel solid as a rock.
He showed me the old bearing, well and truely carced. No pitting but there must have been well over .5mm lateral play between the inner and outer. Bearing had TLN written on it as far as I could see. If he doesn't have ro send it back to Guzzi, I might ask for it as a souvenir!

Brian
Great news and I'm very pleased for you.

As I recall, it was Pete Roper who commented that the oil path to the big bearing left a bit to be desired and that has got me thinking. While I often think - strangely, according to critics - the current thought is that after a bike has been standing for several days that bearing may have to wait a while before oil reaches it. What might help? At the moment I can't ride for a few weeks because of having treatment for several small skin cancers on my head, so I've parked the bike on the centrestand to unload the big bearing and I intend to spin the wheel several times by hand occasionally to disperse oil around the CARC and into the bearing. There's no oil-pump in there - or the gearbox for that matter, unlike the pressure-fed gearboxes in modern unit-construction engines.

Technically I'm probably over-filling the CARC when oil-changing, because I spin the rear wheel a few turns before checking that the oil level is up to the bottom of the filling opening threads. If the plug is removed after the bike has been standing for a while, the oil level is too high until I spin the wheel again for a few turns. No leaks so far using that technique.

That was just me obsessively over-complicating things. It was a crappy bearing problem plain and simple.

I know Greg ordered a host of bearings and seals in at MI and hasn't sold one! They have though sold a shitload of CARC bikes.

pete

Mike.C wrote:
THis is good news - Let's ride!
I did today.:)
But for some reason (paranoia?) I decided to check the oil level in the cARC first. Took out the level plug, and saw nothing. Put som oil in, still nothing. Put more, and more - a bit over 200 ml in the end to get the level up to the bottom of the level plug thread. Now since the stated volume required is 380 ml, there can only have been a tiny amount in to start with.:angry:

I thought I'd read on here that it is NOT a level plug and you have to just put the required cc in?? Even so it sounds like it was a bit low!. Not sure what happens if you put in more than required. Worth draining and filling with correct ammount?

oh... and send the bill to the garage!

Back