• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CHECK THIS BOLT!!

Why supersede a part that fits the bike with one that needs modifying to fit!!!
One can only shake one's head that this all made good sense to someone somewhere. I hope this iteration works out for you and it seems like MG are biting on the possibilities that realignment of the exhaust assembly might bring. Good luck!

I'm at about 1,000 miles on bolt #3, the dealer fix....so far so good, but still 200-300 miles short of the prior snapping events. 4,500 miles on the unit now and this is the only issue that needed a warranty job..... I can live with that, and the V100 is just a joy to ride. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

T2

Hi all. My v100s have this issue too. I noticed that bolt broke at 900km. Dealer ordered bracket and bolt from MG.
IMG 1069

Since I was not happy with long waiting time, dealer removed the broken bolt in bracket. and depth of the bracket hole was increased by turner.
First day I bought the motorcycle, bolt was about 2cm out and was tight. now bolt is fully in bracket
My v100s is currently 1200 km and there is no problem. Despite all these problems, I still have excitement of the first day while riding

Here is the official MG service bulletin regarding the cat bolt; it was lost when the thread was deleted and then restored by GTM. The bulletin provides the information of interest.

Umit - I would definitely back that bolt out so it meets the specification of 5-10mm gap allowing the cat box to slide on it. Then suggest you source a longer bolt to achieve the proper gap and one that can seat properly to the torque spec on the modified bracket (so it should not back out during use). The original MG bolt is a 12.9 tensile M8x60mm 1.25 pitch (see picture of a generic replacement) - they are available (in the US) in 65 and 70mm, which you may now need depending on the extra depth drilled into your bracket.

Cat Bolt

T2.

Attachments

• V100Bulletin.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 31
4,584 miles and the warranty repair (new bolt and bracket) has failed again, identical to the previous reports.

PXL 20240126 173344999

.....and it looks like exhaust is leaking from the muffler connection onto the underside of the cat. No cracks were observed.

PXL 20240126 174114997

Back in the hands of the dealer/MG, it will be interesting to learn if MG propose a revised approach. Will ride in this condition. Per my prior comments I'm of the view the cat bolt is as important to the V100 as an appendix is to humans, we both function fine without it.

Cheers T2

As there is only a very small number of V100's with this issue I can't see MG paying much attention to it. I hope I'm wrong though.

As there is only a very small number of V100's with this issue I can't see MG paying much attention to it. I hope I'm wrong though.
I agree with you on that and it is a bit of a 'peanut' issue, though nonetheless irritating on a new bike.

I'll keep at it while under warranty, just interested to learn how MG respond.

I'm enjoying the bike a lot which compensates for this niggle.

T2

Cat hanger bolt on my 2024 Stelvio. On the showroom floor sitting next to my Stelvio was a V100. From what I could tell the Stelvio bolt is larger and it secures a sleeve. The cat hanger is then free to slide a short distance fore and aft on the sleeve. The advantage of this design is that it changes the forces on the bolt from a bending force to more of a shearing force. Sitting cold, you can see the cat is closer to the front/engine side of the sleeve. I haven't ridden the bike but for five blocks in the neighborhood but I will be curious to see if once hot, the system expands enough to move to the rear of the sleeve. If it doesn't, you have to wonder why they went to so much effort to handle negligible thermal expansion.

IMG 3043

Cat hanger bolt on my 2024 Stelvio. On the showroom floor sitting next to my Stelvio was a V100. From what I could tell the Stelvio bolt is larger and it secures a sleeve. The cat hanger is then free to slide a short distance fore and aft on the sleeve. The advantage of this design is that it changes the forces on the bolt from a bending force to more of a shearing force. Sitting cold, you can see the cat is closer to the front/engine side of the sleeve. I haven't ridden the bike but for five blocks in the neighborhood but I will be curious to see if once hot, the system expands enough to move to the rear of the sleeve. If it doesn't, you have to wonder why they went to so much effort to handle negligible thermal expansion.

View attachment 34064

Thank you very much for posting this. I truly appreciate it. 👍🙏😀

Racer242, - thanks for the Stelvio intel and picture. MG have redesigned elements of the cat hanger system. Only the hanger bracket is the same part as the Mandello, as JPC56 noted, however, the sleeve inside the cat hanger is now 4 parts, two rubber spacers and two T bushes that are inserted and meet in the middle of the cat hanger (the flanges on the T-bushes are visible at either end of the hanger on the Stelvio picture), on the Mandello it is a single part, no flanges. In addition, the M8 bolt has been shortened to 50mm from 60mm. The bolt can be torqued down against the bracket now the insert is flanged and the hanger slides on the T-bushes, not on the bolt shaft itself as in the Mandello - or that is how it seems to me.

Also, the exhaust manifold assembly part number is different between the two models.

Speculation - maybe MG modified the assembly to be stronger for the 'off-road' hits the cat might take. The question for us 'bolt snappers' is whether the 4-part insert assembly will fit the Mandello - it would be a better alternative to test vs install new parts-wait-snap-repeat.

T2

Bending for

Racer242, - thanks for the Stelvio intel and picture. MG have redesigned elements of the cat hanger system. Only the hanger bracket is the same part as the Mandello, as JPC56 noted, however, the sleeve inside the cat hanger is now 4 parts, two rubber spacers and two T bushes that are inserted and meet in the middle of the cat hanger (the flanges on the T-bushes are visible at either end of the hanger on the Stelvio picture), on the Mandello it is a single part, no flanges. In addition, the M8 bolt has been shortened to 50mm from 60mm. The bolt can be torqued down against the bracket now the insert is flanged and the hanger slides on the T-bushes, not on the bolt shaft itself as in the Mandello - or that is how it seems to me.

Also, the exhaust manifold assembly part number is different between the two models.

Speculation - maybe MG modified the assembly to be stronger for the 'off-road' hits the cat might take. The question for us 'bolt snappers' is whether the 4-part insert assembly will fit the Mandello - it would be a better alternative to test vs install new parts-wait-snap-repeat.

T2
There was a V100 parked near my Stelvio on the showroom floor. From what I could tell, the flange that rises up from the top of the cat has a larger diameter hole on the Stelvio. It's a good insight that maybe MG went with a more robust design for the Stelvio, the real tell will be to see if the 2024 V100 is spec'd with the same exhaust as 2023 models or switches to the Stelvio part. All other aspects of the exhaust systems appeared the same.

So here is MG USA's response to my dealer...

'I've heard back from M/G and they state no other rider is experiencing this issue. We've been instructed to repeat the previous repair and make triply sure you are not touching the bolt after it leaves the shop due to the very specific torque value in the tech bulletin.'

....and my dealer knows that the warranty repair was left alone, I had no reason to monkey with it - and they are only 20 miles away.

So here we go ..... 'install new parts-wait-snap-repeat' warranty cycle. Evidently for MG USA JPC56 doesn't exist, Ranishdogs is mere Scottish mist and they couldn't find Turkey on the map (sorry, nimentos). :cry:

A constantly running toilet that you keep flushing and hope for a different outcome unless....

..the new insert design on the Stelvio would fit the Mandello, which I have asked them to check.

T2

4,584 miles and the warranty repair (new bolt and bracket) has failed again, identical to the previous reports.

View attachment 34047

.....and it looks like exhaust is leaking from the muffler connection onto the underside of the cat. No cracks were observed.

View attachment 34048

Back in the hands of the dealer/MG, it will be interesting to learn if MG propose a revised approach. Will ride in this condition. Per my prior comments I'm of the view the cat bolt is as important to the V100 as an appendix is to humans, we both function fine without it.

Cheers T2
Would Loctite help?
Would welding fix the exhaust leak?

I didn't think so. The bolt is rotating because it has sheared.

Not a fan of the idea to weld, I will live with a leak and let MG figure out a solution to the problem.

Meanwhile I ride on in awe of the complacency of service reps.

T2

View attachment 34047

View attachment 34048

Cheers T2
My bike is still at the same dealership so I'm hoping these problems will be addressed before I take delivery!

Back