• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CHECK THIS BOLT!!

My bike is still at the same dealership so I'm hoping these problems will be addressed before I take delivery!

This issue is neither common nor calamitous and is unlikely to be meaningfully addressed by MG, there is little the dealer can do with the kind of response the MG service rep provided. The replacement parts will come in, they will sit there until I have them do the 7,500-mile service, the dealer will do the best they can. It will likely break again, there is no reason to believe it won't. MG can chew through as many warranty repairs as they like...when the warranty is over the game changes.

In any manufactured part distribution curve, there are tails at the end; I and the others who have had this issue are unfortunately at the tail of the tail and the bolt breaks...that's life, someone is going to get dealt those cards. Don't fret on it, it is very, very unlikely your unit will have this defect. It is a fun bike to ride - that is where my focus is, but I'm not letting MG off the hook by ignoring it while the warranty is in effect.

T2

Last edited:
This issue is neither common nor calamitous and is unlikely to be meaningfully addressed by MG, there is little the dealer can do with the kind of response the MG service rep provided. The replacement parts will come in, they will sit there until I have them do the 7,500-mile service, the dealer will do the best they can. It will likely break again, there is no reason to believe it won't. MG can chew through as many warranty repairs as they like...when the warranty is over the game changes.

In any manufacturing part distribution curve, there are tails at the end; I and the others who have had this issue are unfortunately at the tail of the tail and the bolt breaks...that's life, someone is going to get dealt those cards. Don't fret on it, it is very, very unlikely your unit will have this defect. It is a fun bike to ride - that is where my focus is, but I'm not letting MG off the hook by ignoring it while the warranty is in effect.

T2
Well MG and the dealership are aware of the problem and I'll have two years to allow MG to address it if my bike so happens to have the problem. Hopefully, you're right and I won't have a problem.
Thank you!

These little teething things are exactly why I bought the additional 2 years of warranty from Moto Guzzi.

For the next 4 years, I won’t worry about anything.
I actually have 7 years of warranty, but I'd much rather be riding instead of having my motorcycle sitting in the shop because, that would be very worrisome.

I had an Audace at the time. There were some issues with the 1400s. Actually the one I bought dropped a valve at 543 miles before I got it.
kk

Exactly. Some things just can't be avoided and can be undetectable using normal means until failure occurs. An air bubble in a casting for example. Is a manufacturer going to xray every part? Hardly, we aren't dealing with a space shuttle.
kk

The third cat bolt was installed under warranty today, 5,850 miles on the Nav. The tech painted the bolt and indexed it to the hanger - picture taken for MG USA. I will be repeating the pics on a frequent basis until it fails again (in all likelihood)- to counter 'your customer must be messing with it', and 'no one else has had the problem' response from the MG tech rep.

I had the OEM tires replaced (I lost confidence in the Fr Pirelli Angel GT 2- a lot of tread remained but it was cupped badly and was falling into the turns and was horrible when there was a mere hint of sand on the road into a turn, the rear was fine - it also would have made the second service) - and with the rear wheel out it gave the tech more access/room to fiddle with the cat box. I asked for a picture of the misalignment before they removed the failed bracket (waiting to see that).

PXL 20240308 194951012MP PXL 20240308 194932270MP

The replacement bracket to receive the bolt still needs grinding to fit behind the swing arm shaft, as seen in the pic.

FWIW I mounted Dunlop Road Smart 3's, hopefully they will perform better and reflect the positive reviews on other sport tourers.

Onward.
T2

Last edited:
Had my second warranty claim for the bolt and bracket completed today. Spoke to the technician and he said that he had completely removed the entire exhaust system then checked for alignment issues but could not find any. He did make sure the alignment was good before fitting the silencer/muffler. So now back to a wait and see scenario.

The silencer bolt is not quite parallel to its mounting bracket. As the silencer has to come off to remove the rear wheel I will see if I can reposition it without straining the cat hanger fitting to align it better. Maybe the bracket attached to the rear footrest is the problem?

I have a 2022 V85TT, and I will be double checking every bolt I can get to, especially this bolt if the attachment is the same, or similar.

I will also be checking the bolts that attach the shift lever and the brake lever, since apparently they also come loose. One unlucky soul had to ride home in 6th gear. Talk about having a cooked clutch!!

I had the OEM tires replaced (I lost confidence in the Fr Pirelli Angel GT 2- a lot of tread remained but it was cupped badly and was falling into the turns and was horrible when there was a mere hint of sand on the road into a turn, the rear was fine ...

FWIW I mounted Dunlop Road Smart 3's, hopefully they will perform better and reflect the positive reviews on other sport tourers.

Onward.
T2
Had the exact same issue with 2 front Pirelli Angel GT2s.
Personal opinion is that these tyres combined with a high torque engine and getting on the power early when steering carves out the tread just off centre.

Although not easy, I have been measuring the movement between the exhaust cat mounting and the mounting bolt hot and cold. it's about 10 to15 thousands of an inch. That surely could have been absorbed by the flexible bush?

Although not easy, I have been measuring the movement between the exhaust cat mounting and the mounting bolt hot and cold. it's about 10 to15 thousands of an inch. That surely could have been absorbed by the flexible bush?
Very interesting and thank you. I trust you didn't sustain too many burns/blisters in the process, it is tricky to access and measure! MG may have reached the same conclusion and redesigned the mount on the Stelvio accordingly.

Honestly, the bolts snap due to metal fatigue from the insane weight of the catalytic converter.

IMO it has nothing to do with thermo-expansion or any other such smoke screen.

You simply cannot support that amount of constantly vibrating metal with such a small bolt.

If they had doubled the bolt diameter, this would be a moot issue.

Can't understand why only a very few owners have this issue. The bolt almost always breaks at the beginning of the thread, although the bolt is an 8 mm bolt the core diameter at the thread is only 6.773 mm. A 10 mm bolt would have a core diameter at the threads of just over 8 mm.

Back