Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

dashboard interference

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Roblatt, Mar 1, 2014.

1. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

I got the donor LCD out but the circuit board is proving recalcitrant - it appears to be held in the middle some how

Any guidance on that?

Tris

PS thanks for the guidance - its much appreciated as it the end (if the planets align) I'll have saved a bunch of petrol money. I think I owe you a drink if you ever get over here

2. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

My bad Tris.

I should've attached another photo,below, which shows screws that need to be removed from the front to release the circuit board. It's been such a long time it slipped my mind. The little ones around the face of the main clock From memory the larger ones hold the main casing on and you should've removed them already.

Robert

IMG_0536 (800x598).jpg

3. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

Not your bad at all Robert

I got those 4 and all the others round the perimeter out but the board wont come out with the clips pulled back

The best I can see at the moment is the 2 tags circled below

Capture.JPG

They appear to go into the white casing and have no electrical function despite being soldered to the board :worried::worried:

It may not be this and I'm missing something simple, but I'm buggered if I can see it yet :cry:

4. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

Tris,

I don't remember those 2 tags, just the outer clips. The picture is a little fuzzy at that point so I can't seen them clearly. On pictures I have of the circuit board, they're also fuzzy when I enlarge - it's interesting the information you wished you'd recorded at the time just so you can refer back.

I you can wait, I'll pull my dash this weekend and report back.

Robert

tris likes this.
  5. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

WOW - that's above and beyond the call of duty Robert as we both know that would involve pulling the needles off with the consequent risk to the stepper motors.

Thanks for the offer though.

I can work around it as the only real reason to remove the board is so that I could conformally coat the back side.

Given that I can't see any water damage, and I've already opened up the blocked vent I'll probably leave sleeping dogs alone

Thanks for the offer though

6. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ok I have a faulty Breva dash that was given to me by James Betres from this site. I had to unsolder those 2 tags to get it fully apart and remove that circuit board. They actually go through and secure the LCD display in place, use a solder sucker or solder wick. They do not form part of the circuit and the tags are stand alone. The electronics was already damaged so it was out of interest that I took it apart.
    Kevin

7. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

Also be very careful with disconnecting/connecting the ribbon cable at the bottom left. To remove it push the black retaining strip forward (1mm) using a toothpick or similar at each end of the brown connector.

8. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

Cheers Kevin
    1) I think that reinforces my thoughts to leave the board in situ ...... unless I find I've FURBARed the stepper motors that is ;)
    2) I was aware of that ...... somehow!

9. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

Kevin,

I definantely did not need to solder suck those 2 tabs, that much I know as I don't have a solder sucker. I remember mine just came apart easily.

Tris,

No probs, if you do need me to strip it down, I can strip and rebuild in about 20 minutes - sad isn't it?

Robert

10. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

Its all part of the idiosyncrasies that surround Guzzi ownership;)

Thanks though, and hopefully this time next week I'll be reporting that i now have a functioning LCD - watch this space

11. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

IT'S ALIVE :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I now have a dash with a functioning LCD :party::party:

So many many thanks to you Robert :clap::clap::clap:

I can also cast some light on the solder tag conundrum

I've established that the LCD is back lit via a panel set into the rectangular LCD recess, and I suspect that this is supplied with juice via the 2 tags Kevin commented on

Which means that you can take the LCD glass (a sucker means you don't need 2 pairs of hands) out without removing the circuit board and leave the back light in place

roadventure likes this.
  12. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

Good work Tris. Now re-assemble and ride!!

13. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

Bit of a delay in responding due to "stuff" happening!!
    !!
    Still, all good after a couple of decent rides so I shall call it CURED