Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Everything a Stelvio owner needs to know in one post

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by ecka00, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ecka00

ecka00 Tuned and Synch'ed

Anyone have a preference on spark plugs? So far I've found:

NGK PMR8B ($14 per)
    NGK CR8EKB ($10 per)
    NGK BPR6ES ($7 per)

2. ferdi

ferdi Tuned and Synch'ed

mine has still CR8EKB mounted, next one will be CR8EIX (iridium one)

3. mick2

mick2 Just got it firing!

I am the new owner of a 2009 Stelvio with 7400kms on it. Love the bike. I am old school and new computer fuel injection system are beyond my back yard mechanical skills. I have been told the fuel system can be a problem. Well mine has a sputtering under 3000rpm. In traffic it can be frustrating when turning slowly at a light.
    It also sputters in third or fourth gear holding down 50kms a hour or 30kms in a school zone. The dealer said this has been a problem with this model and they are working on a fix..Some sort of resistor in the fuel/computer signal.

Is this well known or is this just my Guzzi?

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It could be just your bike, when was the last service done? Ask if the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) has been checked/reset, and what map the ECU has on it. If all of those are good, 3k RPM is a troublesome spot, and I have a few solutions to fix it. There is a few band-aid resistor fixes, one is posted on this Forum. If you want it to run perfectly and don't mind spending a little money to get it there, contact me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com, or if you can see it, use the small envelope/link below my picture to the right. ->

5. guzzigeezer

guzzigeezer Just got it firing!

I'm a noob to Guzzi's although a geezer before arrival even. I just acquired a new Stelvio this past Wednesday. I'm preparing to do my first valve check/adjust when the service is due. The mechanic at the dealership told me they (Guzzi) changed the valve clearance gap from 4/6 to 6/8, intake/exhaust on the new Stelvio. Is this correct?

This is a great forum with lots of information. I'm looking forward to getting the few kinks worked out on the first service and having a smooth running machine for many miles to come. I'm doing valve check and oil changing but letting the local dealer do the throttle balancing and syncing which I don't have a clue how to do.

TASH566 likes this.
  6. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

You are correct about the valve clearance being changed to 6/8 (0.15/0.20 mm). The sticker on the bike still shows the old spec also. This was a last minute change by Guzzi and was confirmed on other posts and forums. My dealer says he acutally says the spec is actually slightly bigger but I am sticking with the 0.15 and 0.2.

As for the throttle balancing and syncing it is actually easier than you think. Pick up a vacuum balancer (I have a Carb mate and love it) and the software (centurion S, from Todd here at Guzzi Tech). Up front cost is about $350 or so for both but you will get that back quickly after saving a couple of trips to the dealer. You will keep the equipment and use it for the life of the bike. Not to mention that you will have piece of mind that the dealer did it properly. Had my dealer do mine under warrenty and was still slightly out of balance at 0.5 cm hg at idle and high speed snyc. Just waiting for my software to show up and she will be re-sync'd. Will really help you dial your bike in for optimal satisfaction.

7. bigtex

bigtex Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Going with the theme of everything a Stelvio owner might want to know:

Stock exhaust, 4000 rpm = 90dB

(Did a dual sport rally this weekend and a sound check was required, standard SAE J1287 JUL98)

8. DanPez

DanPez Cruisin' Guzzisti

The original Hella foglights on the Stelvio stopped working.
    Checked the relay coil voltage and across the coil pins were switching correctly.

Ended up being the Tyco Relay part# PA66-GF25.
    To confirm the diagnostic I interchanged it with the headlight relay .... well I wasn't going to Portugal to get a replacement. :)

For us North American dudes Foglight or Headlight relay
    Tyco replacement:
    VFMA-15F41-S01-ND
    RELAY AUTOMOTIVE SPDT 12V
    Googled the part# ..... Electronic Component distributor ..... I received it in 2 days

9. Ray1150

Ray1150 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

UK owners;-
    Just taken my 59 plate Stelvio for its first MoT test (govt. test done after 3 years thereafter every year testing various parts of the bike) and it failed.

The headlamp reflector is not legal in the UK and throws too much light too high to the right.

Haywards supplied me with the fix that fits behind the right hand lamp. (see pic)

Attached Files:

10. gdp

gdp Cruisin' Guzzisti

...Are headlamp bulbs model-specific?...or, interchangeable and easily findable?

11. guzzigeezer

guzzigeezer Just got it firing!

The CR8EIX is $6.09 at Advance Auto Parts stores. In SC.

12. guzzyupnorth

guzzyupnorth Tuned and Synch'ed

Great idea - good to have on hand - just a added note re: oil grades -- pending on the time of year and cilmate the bike is in regarding cold starts - 10w-60 is like syrup this time of year in northern BC so I use a full syn 5w-50. Besides 10w-60 is special order in any brand. Mid summer or trips into hot country switch up to 10w-50. The recommended 10w-60 required by Guzzi in a 8V and PDI'd at the dealership blew out a o-ring for the sparkplug well on the valve cover with less than 180 miles on the bike. The oil level was over full by 300mils ( a coke bottle full). The only oils close to spec suggested are Royal Purple and Amsoil in these parts. Its either Castrol or Mobil - Redline is no longer available. The nearest Guzzi delaer is a 12 hr ride. So filter consist of Fram 6022 or Fram Ultra Toyota Prius - Napa - Donaldson or mail order a box of IFO. The nice thing about the Fram 6022 is the cartridge is up inside the casting, where as the IFO protrudes and not much air space between it and the skid plate. Back roads on gravel tend to have gravel lodge in there and if a bottoming on the skid pan ocuurs - well goodbye oil. Although the IFO has a tough heavier filter canister but we have some sharp BC rocks. I added a lower frt fender extension and oild cooler guard as backups out of shop handy materials ( a bar-b-cue grill for cooking veggies and a 4" 22* ABS pipe elbow). No Patent !! :woohoo:

13. G-Zulu

G-Zulu Tuned and Synch'ed

Pics of this handy work ?

14. wait2b

wait2b Just got it firing! GT Contributor

please advise how to identify whether your Stelvio has a
    A5 or A8 motor as the exhaust valve spec is different?

15. ecka00

16. ecka00

Exhaust Gasket Replacement: Kawasaki part 11060-1130

17. Ed Baker

Ed Baker Just got it firing!

I just set mine at .1, .15 as my manual says on my 2013 NTX and it ran so much better it was amazing. Bike had 3400 miles on it with no previous adjustments I am sure. All were loose to be sure, especially exhausts.

18. Pb4uride

Pb4uride Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Did anyone help you with this question? I too would like to know how to id which engine I have in my 2015 Stelvio NTX

19. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

Engine model number on the left side of the bike just below cylinder. It is on a silver plate.

20. Ray.

Ray. Just got it firing!

Issues with centre stand? Mine snapped two weeks ago!

Are there any manuals available?