• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi 1100 Custom build

buzzer

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi Guys, thought I would start a thread on my 1100 custom build... I have not started it in earnest just yet, I am currently finishing off a Ducati build, soon as that's finished I will get it on the bike hoist and make a start.

For now, I have just made a couple of parts, some Bell mouths, and a couple of silencers... as I progress I will keep this thread updated. I am not sure on the finished look as yet, but its probably going to be a cafe racer style, but with higher bars as I cant do clip-ons these days!

here is how it arrived...

guzzi-2.jpg

guzzi-1.jpg

here is how it looks now, I have acquired a V7 tank for it

guzzi-3-copy.jpg

51749727820_9e2b354488_o-copy.jpg

here are the bell mouths I have made, using the metal spinning method

carbs-copy.jpg

here are the silencers in the fabrication stage

silencer-7-copy.jpg

here they are finished

finished-silencer-copy.jpg

Wow, pretty rooten tooten nice work!

However, it pains me to see an engine running with no air filter, but I'm sure that's just a personal quirk of mine.

So, why Keihins over Dellortos?

Jason

Last edited:
Wow, pretty rooten tooten nice work!

However, it pains me to see an engine running with no air filter, but I'm sure that's just a personal quirk of mine.

So, why Keihins over Dellortos?

Jason
Thanks! I have used Keihin carbs for a while now, and I really like them! I have done three EFI to carb conversions on Ducati's now... the first one I did I used Mikuni carbs, and while it went OK, it was only when I did the next one with the FCR's that I realised just how great they are! The Keihins are also cheap, and new, and come with a good selection of jets... they are a great carb!

I agree on the filters... I do have a fall back in that I have made some shorter bell mouths in the past that take a foam filter... I may decided to go with this... But at the end of the day its not like I will be doing 1000's of miles... we will see!

velocity-stack-fcr-2-copy.jpg

engine.jpg

51624862821_619944e51b_o-copy.jpg

Last edited:
I have made a few of these silencers for various builds over the years, I like them because they are nicely proportioned... Light, re-packable, and I can fit a baffle at MOT time... plus they are cheap on Ebay at around £20 each!

Thanks! I have used Keihin carbs for a while now, and I really like them! I have done three EFI to carb conversions on Ducati's now... the first one I did I used Mikuni carbs, and while it went OK, it was only when I did the next one with the FCR's that I realised just how great they are! The Keihins are also cheap, and new, and come with a good selection of jets... they are a great carb!

I agree on the filters... I do have a fall back in that I have made some shorter bell mouths in the past that take a foam filter... I may decided to go with this... But at the end of the day its not like I will be doing 1000's of miles... we will see!

velocity-stack-fcr-2-copy.jpg

engine.jpg

51624862821_619944e51b_o-copy.jpg
That is a beautiful DS. Im guessing it's a 1000 or 1100 that you converted into carb'd? Also have you had any issues with having the crankcase breather filter so close to the outlet?

That is a beautiful DS. Im guessing it's a 1000 or 1100 that you converted into carb'd? Also have you had any issues with having the crankcase breather filter so close to the outlet?
Yes! well spotted... I had misting out of the breather and moved it to the top of a 6" tube which stopped the problem...

Its a 1000 DS, they are great engines! I have done 4 builds now using a 1000 Multistrada as a base. These have plastic tanks and many are affected by the ethanol in the fuel these days. its killing may of them off, and they can be picked up very cheap

Yes! well spotted... I had misting out of the breather and moved it to the top of a 6" tube which stopped the problem...

Its a 1000 DS, they are great engines! I have done 4 builds now using a 1000 Multistrada as a base. These have plastic tanks and many are affected by the ethanol in the fuel these days. its killing may of them off, and they can be picked up very cheap
I had the same issue with oil spitting out of the breather on my Monster 900. It made things "interesting".

Up on the hoist for the first time… I have temporarily used a build stand that I have used for Ducati’s, but I will have to make a specific one as this one will impede making the exhaust fit on the bike. First job has been to make some inlet manifolds to fit the carbs… I wanted them angled upwards and inwards, and that took some working out to get the compound angle right! it ended up as 68.5 degrees. As the carb diameter is larger than the head inlet, I needed to use a tapered tube… To do this I turned up a tapered mandrel, and after annealing the alloy tube, I pressed it in with the vice, which expanded the tube by the required few mm. I then turned a grove to accept the lip inside the carb mounting blocks.

the next bit was actually quite difficult… I needed to make the hole on the flange a nice fit on the tube, but at an angle. I deliberately cut the 10mm plate quite large so I could get it mounted on the milling machine at the exact angle. I then bored the hole with an indexable boring head. If that milling machine looks old, it is! I did some work on it a few months ago and found a date… 1929!

Next job was to TIG weld the flanges on, drill the holes, and finally cut to shape.

here is a short video of the manifolds being made...

51872449199_d662666f29_o.jpg

51874027176_e31851d70b_o.jpg

51876878666_b979a843e8_o.jpg

51877520120_b736838caf_o.jpg

Holy Toledo, that's some SERIOUS hobby work!

Your TIG welding looks fantastic, just like everything else you've shown in these posts.

Can't wait to see more work from you.

Jason

a little side track as I had a new facing cutter for my milling machine and wanted to try it! I took the top yoke off and removed the section where the ignition switch fits… and milled it flat. I then contoured the edge to blend it in. Those power files are a great piece of kit, something i bought thinking I may not use it much, but I use it all the time! Then into the blaster to clean it up, it can wait a while for polishing….

top-yoke-moto-guzzi.jpg

One thing I hated about the bike was the side stand… Just how agricultural is that bracket! I know its a great functional design, but its SO ugly! so out come the angle grinder and it is no more! In the loft (or as my wife calls it the spares department!!) i had a side stand off a 1994 Honda CBR 600… it bolted straight on! Just need to adjust the angle a little when the ride height has been set. a job for much later on...

side-stand.jpg

yesterdays job was to mock up the exhaust... I had ordered some 2" mandrel bends and straight pipe as I wanted that chunky look, and for the pipe to fit straight into the silencer with no reducer. From a performance aspect, the large headers are probably not I deal... but I wont miss a few BHP! I also wanted that angled swept back look (old School!!) The bends are 135, 45 and 30 degrees. It should all polish nicely as its stainless steel. This bike will have more forward mounted foot rests, hence I could kick up the silencers earlier...

I find making exhaust systems quite therapeutic, although sometimes I could do with a third hand. My wife used to help, but since I burned the back of her hand with the hot end of the filler rod, all help has been withdrawn :sad:

exhaust-4.jpg

exhaust-3.jpg

Wow! It’s very convenient that you have a nice workshop area to do work like this.

Did you TIG weld your exhausts pipe together?

Next on the list is the new foot controls… I sat on the bike and decided where I wanted the foot pegs to be. This bike wont have rear-sets, I want to to be comfortable to ride! I then measured how long from the peg the brake and gear lever needed to be and set about designing some controls. It would have been easier to have had them water jet cut, but that’s a 3 hour round trip for me, and usually quite a wait, so I decided to mill them out instead. What has made a BIG difference to me is the acquisition of a band saw… Its great for cutting stuff like this out! I was so lucky to acquire it… my mate was throwing it out!

I made a couple of spigots to mount them on the frame which I will weld on. I have used a couple of Oilite bushes on the holes rather than run the alloy directly on the steel. the first spigot I made I realised I had counter bored it a bit too far and it would have been too weak… a case of measure twice cut once! I then bent them in the vice to get the correct crank angle to clear the exhaust.

footrests-2.jpg

footrests-1.jpg

Back