• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi service stand questions

GuzziHero

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Right, so I need a new set of tyres on the G11. Thing is, lifting the front is easy but I don't know if tyre fitting places will have the equipment to properly lift the Griso.

So first question is... how do they lift the back of the bike to fit a new rear tyre?

In the event that they cannot lift it, I am thinking of getting one of these:

moto24.de/product_info.php?info=p800_Griso-850-1100-8V-Montagestaender-Set.html

Now I see how the centre lift works. But once it's on the centre lift... how do you get that little front prop underneath? Part of me says that on the centre lift, the bike is on perfect balance so I could just lift the front, rest the bike on the centre part and the rear wheel, put the prop under and lower the bike onto the prop.

Anyone who can tell what on earth I'm talking about and has an answer, let me know :)

I lift my Griso with straps hung from the rafters. It is not the best way but it works.
The stand you posted would be better, but I already have the straps.
With the stand, the front end will not be "perfectly balanced, but it should be light enough to let you stick the upright brace in there to hold the front end up.
I always take my own wheels off and bring them to the shop for changing the tires (if I am not doing it myself), it is easy to do on the Griso once you have it up in the air.

In a pinch/on the cheap, a floor jack under the shock linkage in the back, and for the front, a board between the jack and the front/bottom of the oil pan. You can leave it on the side stand for extra support. Be sure to secure the bike in a fashion it won't move/fall over. Otherwise, the stand you linked above will work perfectly... you have to lift the front of the bike to get the small "foot" under the pan, yes.

I faced the same issue with my 1200 Sport, sometimes the centre stand can be useful.

Intially, I would run the front wheel on one of those roll-over stands to hold the bike upright, and then jack the rear up on the rear suspension linkage. To make it more secure, a piece of water pipe was passed through the hole in the frame and supported on both sides on axle stands.

But this was too cumbersome. So I decided to sacrifice my pillion footrests (they are now under the seat to be used in an emergency) and modified a standard swinging arm stand manufactured by Bike Lift. Using exhaust tubing, I had to make the stand wider, higher and longer. Bobbins were added just under where the pillion footrests once lived.

SportonPaddockStands-2.jpg

Works just fine, and is quick too.

I use a combination of heavy duty ratchet straps over the beams in my garage roof, a hydraulic bike lift and/or trolley jack depending on which wheel I want to work on.

My Guzzi dealer has a wide scissor action jack that fits under the side plates. It has custom made blocks to suit the Griso. It's the best solution I've seen but came as part of a professional (= expensive) hydraulic bike bench and I don't think its available seperately.

I've also toyed with the idea of sliding a bar thru' those holes in the side plates and adapting a conventional paddock stand (or a car engine hoist) to fit on the bar......but I've never done more than think about it!

My local tyre place took the seat off & used my straps round the frame and lifted the back of the bike using their 4 post car lift !!!!!

Or an alternative to Guzzi's own maintenance stand there's this from Germany:
http://www.becker-technik.de/Griso-Lift ... lisch.html

As suggested by Will, I am considering getting one of these:-

Guzzi Griso service stand

GU973243500010-243-1-800.jpg

Or, Becker Technik Griso lifter
Griso-LifterE02.JPG

Cost aside, which one would you guys pick?

Both look well designed and stable. I'm in favor of more leverage and lifting the bike with my back straighter. I'd pick the Guzzi service stand.

97324350.jpg

I prefer the Guzzi service stand mounting method. Judging from the photo, the Guzzi stand is pivoting on a set of bobbins which came together with the kit. Looks like it requires 2 people to mount the stand too.

On the other hand, Becker-Technik stand can be mounted by one person(very important to me) as shown in the video. It is not clear in their website on the mounting method, I am not sure how well their mounting method hold up against multiple use.

Griso153.jpg

Griso1421.jpg

What happened to centre stands ???? much missed.
Managed to get one for my previous Centauro.
Gordon

Gordon said:
What happened to centre stands ???? much missed.

When I first saw a Griso close up I wondered if the threaded holes either side of the back of the sump were intended for a stand?

Anyone any idea what they are for? They have a machined surface around them & are left unpainted on both my 1100 & 8v as if something is meant to be fitted there. What?

I have often pondered that question and then I noticed on my Breva 1100 the threaded holes on the right hand side of the sump exactly match up to the side stand bolts on the left hand side. Is the side stand always on the left hand side or does it depend what country they are exported to?
cheers Kevin

If I remember correctly, it is one of the Stelvio center stand bracket mounting point.

grisomoutinghole.jpg

I just ordered a Becker Technik Griso Lifter from Simon Becker a minute ago. The price became attractive due to the weak Euro and the waive of 19% MwSt (German VAT).

The problem is when you want to remove both wheels at the same time. Putting a bar through the hole in the centre of the frame makes a nice support. Jack underneath the back shock and a jack underneath the sump.

Attachments

• PA230001.JPG
    PA230001.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 1,087
Info here;https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic.html?f=163&t=2869&p=19824&hilit=service stand#p19824

I use a jack under the sump to lift the front.

guzzler said:
Info here;https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic.html?f=163&t=2869&p=19824&hilit=service stand#p19824

I use a jack under the sump to lift the front.

Brilliant video demonstrations of the Guzzi service stand.

Back