• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi service stand questions

I guess I am Neanderthal in some of my thinking but if it were me I suspect the judicious use of concrete garage floor on one side and a BFH ( like a 5Lb sledge ) applied at or near the end of the tang on the other side would persuaded it to the proper size ? wrap BFH side in something that will protect the paint. Just saying.

I can based on my experience with the stand that it could have gotten out of shape by someone using it "Alone" without the proper technique. Just saying :roll:

Bill Hagan said:
Pascal said:
^^^^^^^^^^^This is the only stand worth mentioning IMO...

Uhm ... WHAT is "the only stand worth mentioning?"

Tho my question may explain why I am so #$%^&* frustrated just now. :whistle:

As for "incapacitated," however, as I don't live in Orlando (darn it), mine probably is incapacitated until late March ... at best. :(

Bill

If it looks like I came on as an asshole, I apologize. Was not my intention.
To me, that scissor stand is more practical...
It lifts higher and you can add/make different brackets depending on where you want to lift the bike from etc...
It's more like a working stand as the other ones are only good for light service.
Until someone comes up with a fixed center stand for that bike, some of us will be frustrated.

As far as our Geographical differences, I rather leave in GA when it comes to motorcycling.
From there, you have plenty of routes to chose from...
As long as there isn't ice/snow on the road or it doesn't rain, I'm riding.
I use my friend's house in Roswell as a satellite when I come up in twisty land.
I probably be in Dahlonega next month to maybe buy a Tuono for a friend.
We'll see...

draidt said:
I guess I am Neanderthal in some of my thinking but if it were me I suspect the judicious use of concrete garage floor on one side and a BFH ( like a 5Lb sledge ) applied at or near the end of the tang on the other side would persuaded it to the proper size ? wrap BFH side in something that will protect the paint. Just saying.

I can based on my experience with the stand that it could have gotten out of shape by someone using it "Alone" without the proper technique. Just saying :roll:

I read your response to Kathi earlier this a.m. She said, "Typical man; thinks spreading legs is the answer to everything." I agreed. ;)

Actually, she has been a bemused observer of this whole fiasco from the beginning, and is even sicker of the soap-opera drama of my posts on it than any of you!

So, am eager to see if this works. I'm thinking that the short gap needed can indeed be covered by "persuasion."

Haven't heard back from apexal, but the stand's trek from him to mojohand may explain how the gentle caresses of UPS or USPS mashed the prong-arms a little bit.

Thanks, again, Dan. The rest of you, go get some more popcorn and beer for the next show.

Pascal said:
Bill Hagan said:
Pascal said:
^^^^^^^^^^^This is the only stand worth mentioning IMO...

Uhm ... WHAT is "the only stand worth mentioning?"

Tho my question may explain why I am so #$%^&* frustrated just now. :whistle:

As for "incapacitated," however, as I don't live in Orlando (darn it), mine probably is incapacitated until late March ... at best. :(

Bill

If it looks like I came on as an asshole, I apologize. Was not my intention.
To me, that scissor stand is more practical...
It lifts higher and you can add/make different brackets depending on where you want to lift the bike from etc...
It's more like a working stand as the other ones are only good for light service.
Until someone comes up with a fixed center stand for that bike, some of us will be frustrated.

As far as our Geographical differences, I rather leave in GA when it comes to motorcycling.
From there, you have plenty of routes to chose from...
As long as there isn't ice/snow on the road or it doesn't rain, I'm riding.
I use my friend's house in Roswell as a satellite when I come up in twisty land.
I probably be in Dahlonega next month to maybe buy a Tuono for a friend.
We'll see...

Not at all re how you came across; I was just confused about which stand you meant by "^^^^^^^^^^^"

And, there are risks with the scissors jack not (as) present with the OEM maintenance stand. Unless also strapped down, it is not a safe solution, at least if left unattended and merely perched on it in a common garage. It is, however, quite fine to use for most light work on the Griso, especially when coupled with a rolling stool or crawler for my no-longer-booming boomer body!

As for Georgia, regrettably, I can only rely on my memories, as I am on the tundra now. Going back over MLK weekend, tho, and hope to get a ride in on the EV up in the hills. And, RH's prices on Tuonos are amazing.

Bill

[/quote]

I note that apexal posted here today, but don't know if he follows anything other than his classified, which seems to have closed now with sale of the muffler.

Cannot imagine how he "used it for 8 months," at least on the Griso. Baffling. Will PM him.

Bill[/quote]

Look at the spools. You can probably see that they were used, maybe even for 8 months. I used the stand on my 2010 Moto Guzzi Griso. The spools fit fine and the bike went on and off the stand effortlessly just like in the video. I don't have a photo of the bike on the stand but I'm including a photo of the right side spool.

Did the stand get bent in shipping? Maybe you can measure the two vertical pieces and see if they are parallel or if they're bent. Does the box show signs of much shipping damage? Mojohand told me that the box was damaged and that one of the spool bolts must have fallen out during shipping. Maybe the stand got bent at that time.

I'm not sure what I can offer here. I sold the stand in good faith. I advertised the stand accurately and shipped the stand in the original box that came all the way from Italy.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 881
Lordy, you don't owe me squat except what I asked in the e/m & PM and which you answered here, i.e., that you got the @#$%^&* thing to fit your Griso. Apologies if I left another impression with you or anyone else.

I haven't reread the earlier posts -- even I wince at the thought :lol: -- but thought I had said earlier today that I realized that this was likely a product of shipping damage. It has been so foxtrotting frustrating looking for the fastener that when I finally found that, only to discover that the stand didn't fit that I was planning to melt in it a ceremonial fire pit! :evil:

Hoping to get down there in the garage tomorrow or at least the weekend to persuade the stand to spread its legs, as suggested by danr. Pretty comfortable that is all that is needed, given what appears to be a "mere" 3/4 inch variance. I was dull as a butter knife not to have thought of that before.

Thanks for the response. As I also said in my PM and e/m, sorry you sold your Griso, but hope the Norge still pleases you.

Bill

Bill, I'm sorry that this isn't working for you. Maybe I misunderstood your comments.

History: After I shipped the stand to Mojohand he wrote to me with two problems. I forgot to include the sump stand which I mailed off immediately and that the shipping box was damaged and one of the spool bolts was missing. Apparently I didn't zip the plastic zip bag inside the box.

When you got the stand from Mojohand was it still in the factory box? Maybe the box tells a story. Does Mojohand have any idea what happened?

I'm sure that the frames on all Grisos are identical and I know that the spools can only go on one way. I can't help but believe that the uprights on the stand got bent inwards. I'd be tempted to try to spread them out a tad until it fits properly. It really is a good stand and it goes on and off quite easily. My only gripe is that it doesn't lift the rear tire enough and that the sump stand doesn't really work.

I sold my Griso because I was having problems with it and I missed most of the riding season last year. I became frustrated with it and traded it for a BMW R1200GS which I absolutely love. I still have the Norge but I have to admit that I feel sad seeing the Grisos on here.

apexal said:
Bill, I'm sorry that this isn't working for you. Maybe I misunderstood your comments.

History: After I shipped the stand to Mojohand he wrote to me with two problems. I forgot to include the sump stand which I mailed off immediately and that the shipping box was damaged and one of the spool bolts was missing. Apparently I didn't zip the plastic zip bag inside the box.

When you got the stand from Mojohand was it still in the factory box? Maybe the box tells a story. Does Mojohand have any idea what happened?

I'm sure that the frames on all Grisos are identical and I know that the spools can only go on one way. I can't help but believe that the uprights on the stand got bent inwards. I'd be tempted to try to spread them out a tad until it fits properly. It really is a good stand and it goes on and off quite easily. My only gripe is that it doesn't lift the rear tire enough and that the sump stand doesn't really work.

I sold my Griso because I was having problems with it and I missed most of the riding season last year. I became frustrated with it and traded it for a BMW R1200GS which I absolutely love. I still have the Norge but I have to admit that I feel sad seeing the Grisos on here.

Thanks, again.

And, I'd rather have stand problems than Griso problems! Sorry about that, tho a GS sounds like an adequate consolation prize.

As for the stand, I remain mystified. I also do not expect anyone who is not physically present to accept what I am saying because I know it flies in the fact of your own experience with an identical machine, as mine, as was yours, is a 2010 Griso 8V. Lord knows what the popcorn munchers think about my claims.

I really thought after Pete and Danr suggested the "just bend it" fix that such would indeed be the answer.

But, not to be. First, in answer to your question, I don't have original box for the stand, but only for the sump post. My ever-indulgent wife, Kathi, picked up the stand and parts from Joe's home in Richmond on her way back to Atlanta from Alexandria. But, the box is, I guess, irrelevant, as the stand is not bent!

I attach two (rotten) photos, taken with a laser light laying along the uprights, that show that they are not bent, and certainly are not out of true in any meaningful way. Moreover, the nature of those uprights and the cross members do not permit "persuasion" of a mm, much less the 3/4" or so needed, unless with heat and "right tool" pressure.

So, I went to a local welder today to see it was doable (and doable with rea$on) to put in a 1" plug on the two cross members. Pool's Welding in Milan (a USMC shrine, I should add) said $35 - $40. I'll take it back tomorrow and have that done. I want to measure again tonight so I don't make the plug too wide! Also won't mention I'm Army. ;-)

Once fixed -- as I pray will be the case by tomorrow -- it'll be just what I need for most purposes here. I can lift it higher with my scissors jack if I need to remove rear wheel or the like.

Again, thanks for the input. And, as said, no clue how this could be. I have the bobbins mounted exactly as danr and your pix depict. This'll just be one of those Guzzi mysteries that make them ... erm .. such endearing and enduring machines.

Bill

Attachments

• 2012-01-05_12-14-57_102.jpg
    2012-01-05_12-14-57_102.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 823
  • 2012-01-05_12-15-17_467.jpg
    2012-01-05_12-15-17_467.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 823
The only damage to the box was at the taped seams, so, no bending occurred.

This whole thing is just too too bad.

contractor20 said:
Apexals bobbins aint in the same plce as Draidts .......worth a look there :whistle:
JUst noticed that too--his bobbins are on the higher holes, while the instructions seem to indicate (and the spacers and bolts exist) on the lower holes. Interesting...The lower the bobbin, of course, the higher the bike would raise.

mojohand said:
contractor20 said:
Apexals bobbins aint in the same plce as Draidts .......worth a look there :whistle:
JUst noticed that too--his bobbins are on the higher holes, while the instructions seem to indicate (and the spacers and bolts exist) on the lower holes. Interesting...The lower the bobbin, of course, the higher the bike would raise.

Interesting.

I did that first time at bat. Easy to do, too, as the first "exploded" illustration in the instructions appears to have been extracted from the left side when, upon closer look, it's from the right. :dry:

I will also say that the frame is a (wee) bit narrower there, thus you can lift the Griso on its stand on the bobbins, albeit with some loss of paint (as you will see in apexal's pic) to the lower frame in that area.

FWIW, I dropped off my stand this morning at a local welding shop. "Doyle" made me say "Semper Fi" three times and apologize for having been a dogfaced soldier, but agreed to do the work. I was worried when he first asked me what it was for, and more when he asked what kind of motorcycle. This is serious Harley country. But, no, Doyle was a Kawasaki man from the '70's. Said he still had the first Z bike and that it still runs. Also has a late Vulcan. Said he knew "Guhzzies," too, "specially them police bikes." Good guy.

More relevantly, he said that his plan was simply to chop off one upright (3/8 inch thick) and weld it -- with a bit of vertical and horizontal build-up -- to the outside of the amputated upright.

We shall see. Pix and report to follow, of course. Can't let this thread die. :laugh:

Bill

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi Griso Service Stand Installation Instructions.pdf
    919.6 KB · Views: 152
Victory at last!

Doyle, the welder, changed his mind and decided to do the "split & shim" fix instead.

Turned out great. And, $20! :laugh:

Could have been a little bit wider to be perfect, but it is just fine.

It's been an unexpected adventure. :whistle:

Here are some pix.

Attachments

• 2012-01-06_12-31-22_815.jpg
    2012-01-06_12-31-22_815.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 871
  • 2012-01-06_15-18-15_469.jpg
    2012-01-06_15-18-15_469.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 866
  • 2012-01-06_12-31-55_777.jpg
    2012-01-06_12-31-55_777.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 867
  • 2012-01-06_12-31-43_440.jpg
    2012-01-06_12-31-43_440.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 867
  • 2012-01-06_15-18-51_662.jpg
    2012-01-06_15-18-51_662.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 868
Congrats Bill !

Did you get it on the stand alone ? I have been to chicken to try it alone.

draidt said:
Congrats Bill !

Did you get it on the stand alone ? I have been to chicken to try it alone.

Yes, alone, but did fuse my sphincter a bit first time. :woohoo:

Still, not ready for a demo vid, but I did pretty much as in the one previously posted in this thread.

Here's what I (think I) did: Engaged the left side bobbin, then -- obviously with side-stand down -- leaned over saddle and lifted stand's prong to engage right-side bobbin (which requires stand's right wheel to leave floor); and (more or less) simultaneously brought Griso upright. Once prongs are in both bobbins, the stand "wants" to go upright, take the Griso with it, and the handle starts to head toward the ground. Then, with the grace of a ballerina :whistle: , I nimbly used my right foot to push the handle down to the floor, securing it and the Griso.

Actually, Dan, while "easier," I got more nervous taking it off the stand than putting it on it, as, while it sounds terribly complicated and is awkward, you really are always in control of the stand-up.

Bill

Bill,

I installed the larger Griso sreen today and took a few before and after pictures. She's a looker. Not that I'd want you to get jealous or anything. :whistle:

All the best,

Mark
Semper Fi

All, any one interested in a real-deal rear wheel stand for any newer CARC Guzzi?

As shown below. Cost is ~$175 + shipping. These will only be by paid order. Contact me direct e-mail if interested; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Attachments

• CARCStand1.jpg
    CARCStand1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 776
  • CARCStand2.jpg
    CARCStand2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 776
GT-Rx said:
All, any one interested in a real-deal rear wheel stand for any newer CARC Guzzi?

As shown below. Cost is ~$175 + shipping. These will only be by paid order. Contact me direct e-mail if interested; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Hey Todd

Any chance of a picture showing how the stand attaches to the rear wheel? Is there any possibility of it slipping out when the bike is up on the stand?

Definitely interested here - also would like to know see how it props... how is the rear wheel able to come off?

Back