• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi service stand questions

I received this an hour ago, it is well built, solid and hefty, typical Teutonic approach and probably that explained the torn and punctured carton box it came in. Hopefully DHL didn’t put it together with some fragile items in the cargo.

I haven’t got my GSE yet, will post some pics again when I got the bike on this Thursday (hopefully).

PDSCN6515.jpg

PDSCN6517.jpg

PDSCN6519.jpg

PDSCN6520.jpg

PDSCN6521.jpg

PDSCN6522.jpg

PDSCN6523.jpg

PDSCN6526.jpg

PDSCN6531.jpg

This is how it looks on the Griso :cool:

PDSCN6537.jpg

PDSCN6538.jpg

PDSCN6540.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread...anyone know if you can buy parts of the Guzzi shop stand separately? I bought one privately, but it's missing one of the bobbin bolts and also the sump stand.

Mojohand,

I doubt you can buy the sump prop separately. The bobbin bolt can be purchased at most Ace Hardware stores. The sump prop bar is about the same height as a standard cement block ($1.29) from Home Depot. They typically have cut pieces of wood in their lumber yard too. Maybe they'd have a 4x4 end cut in the recycle bin. I'll measure my Guzzi sump pipe when I get home tomorrow and post the actual height of it. I really like the Guzzi 'Race Stand' and find it very easy to deploy by myself from one side of the bike. Then again, I also liked the one I had for my Centauro.

All the best,

Mark

Chicago Mark said:
The sump prop bar is about the same height as a standard cement block ($1.29) from Home Depot. They typically have cut pieces of wood in their lumber yard too.
I have the 'elaborate' setup with a short bottle jack and a piece of whatever-is-lying-around between the jack post and the sump. Works well.

Chicago Mark said:
Mojohand,

I really like the Guzzi 'Race Stand' and find it very easy to deploy by myself from one side of the bike. Then again, I also liked the one I had for my Centauro.

All the best,

Mark

Did the bobbins and bolts for them come with your stand, or did you get them separately?

Re: Guzzi service stand questions -lift lifter center stand

Balancing and/or strapping this beautiful 500 lb. bike on the sump and shock linkage seems wrong to me! Just because I could cobble together stands and jacks to lift my Griso, doesn't mean I feel comfortable doing it that way. It seems "penny wise and pound foolish" to me. How much do these bikes cost vs. a specialized lift?

For years I lifted my 650 vstrom without a center stand using all sorts of crap...including a cheesy set of packable stands I bought. By the time I had the bike lifted and secured, I was ready for my second beer! Then I splurged for a set of swing arm stands and it's been a snap ever since. But swingarm stands don't work with a Griso, do they?

The Becker Technik is unavailable in the USA. So I called my local (50 miles away) MG dealer and ordered the MG Griso stand (Maintenance stand - GU973243500010)...just over $200 shipped to my house. But I'm having trouble seeing how it will take two people to use this stand as posted earlier. Looks like a one-man lift to me.

acc_image_755.jpg

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/en_US/acces ... aspx?id=67 (see Others at bottom)

jdelv said:
Balancing and/or strapping this beautiful 500 lb. bike on the sump and shock linkage seems wrong to me! Just because I could cobble together stands and jacks to lift my Griso, doesn't mean I feel comfortable doing it that way. It seems "penny wise and pound foolish" to me. How much do these bikes cost vs. a specialized lift?

Howdy, jdelv.

I am away from my beloved garage in Atlanta, but brought the scissors jack from my HandyLift ...

2123_1.jpg

... to Milan with me. I have used that (in conjunction with the lift on my EV and Norge), and don't see that as a problem. What concerns you about it? I see that done at many fine Guzzi and other m/c dealers, too.

Be that as it may, this thread and the related one, https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/7859.html, are all fascinating for me to read. Mostly because I am thinking about hiring a Sicilian goon to take out anyone associated with the design and marketing of the stand.

I have now made numerous treks (with my ever-patient, -dutiful, -indulgent wife ... who thinks I am certifiable for loving Guzzis as I do) to various hardware and fastener places, and have ordered online these bolts that "are easy to find at ACE" or wherever else. Not. :S

But, that isn't the most annoying part, no pun intended.

I have what purports to be a Griso stand -- with allegedly the same part number, i.e., GU973243500010 -- and was sold by G12 owner here to another G12 owner here then to me (long story). The second owner never used it, and I bought it thinking I only needed that one missing bolt. The instructions are in every language except Swahili and Pig Latin, and are clearly for a Griso.

But, even tho I sourced a sub for the bolt ... THE STAND DOESN'T FIT THE GRISO! :woohoo: :evil: :angry: :(

Yes, I followed the instructions. Yes, the bolts and bobbins are properly in place. But the stand is too narrow "between the prongs" to fit into the bobbins. Even mucked up the paint down there, tho flat black will fix it easily enough.

The "interior" distance between the prongs is 15 1/2" [Don't have energy to do mm conversion, but my tape is pretty accurate. With bobbins in place, the prongs simply will not fit in both!

The gap between prongs is such that there could not be any lip or shoulder at all for the prongs to work, as, at best, there is 1/4 inch on each side for the prongs to slip up onto any mount.

I want this to work, and would be quite happy to learn that I have somehow done something stupid that is obvious to everyone but me. I look forward to someone pointing my error(s) out to me.

In the meantime, I am going to pour a couple of (horizontal) fingers of Wild Turkey and sulk.

Lordy, I do love that Griso, tho. :laugh:

Bill

^^^^^^^^^^^This is the only stand worth mentioning IMO...
I'm in the process of buying one of those and making a H support for it, that would lift the bike through the frame holes located above the pegs...
What I really want though, is to make my own center stand (from a Breva maybe) but it involves some thinking and exhaust re-routing for one, and the bike will need to be incapacitated.
I can't have that! I'm on this thing ALL the time as I already racked 18K miles in less than 2 years, lol.
So I need another Griso to use as a Guinea Pig. :lol:

Pascal said:
^^^^^^^^^^^This is the only stand worth mentioning IMO...

Uhm ... WHAT is "the only stand worth mentioning?"

Tho my question may explain why I am so #$%^&* frustrated just now. :whistle:

As for "incapacitated," however, as I don't live in Orlando (darn it), mine probably is incapacitated until late March ... at best. :(

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
But, even tho I sourced a sub for the bolt ... THE STAND DOESN'T FIT THE GRISO! :woohoo: :evil: :angry: :(

I'll be a bit irked if the stand doesn't work as it looks like it should in the photo of it. I will upload pics as soon as it comes...

-jdelv

jdelv said:
This is what I'm expecting when I get mine, nice & simple to use, effective...

(someone posted this video elsewhere on the forum)

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t248 ... L22596.mp4

-jdelv

Yup.

Me, too.

Have had PitBull for Ballabio and used often. Liked it. The mechanical advantage and ergos of this Griso stand appear to be better -- tho the PB seemed stouter.

My problem is at about that 3-sec mark in the vid. The prongs are too narrow to engae the bobbins.

I will go back down into garage tonight, stare hard (again) at the directions that came with it -- see attachment -- and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Bill

P.S. I can only imagine what the many who give a fig about this issue must think at all of the electrons swirling around here on it. :laugh:

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi Griso Service Stand Installation Instructions.pdf
    919.6 KB · Views: 115
pete roper said:
Bill? Are you sure you have the bobbins in the right place? I really cannot see them building a 'Too Narrow' stand?? It's not exactly a high-tech piece of kit.

Pete

I knew it would come to this. :S

Yes, Pete ... comma but.

Will check again, but the pix are pretty good for showing which holes to use for longer bolts and bobbins. I THINK I understand the instructions and placed items correctly. Yes, re "not high-tech," but the stand appears to be too narrow for frame there, without regard to bobbins. I will, however, take some "adult supervision" down tonight to go over all with me.

I really do hope my head is up my [deleted].

And, thanks, Pete, for restraining yourself and not calling me what I may very well deserve! :whistle:

Bill

Don't be daft. It's a fairly easy mistake to make if you haven't actually seen them installed before. Mind you we are talking about the bloke who managed to put the sump gasket on upside down on his EV :twisted:

pete

I bought the M/G stand & put a "creeper" wheel on the lift arm at the lowest part of the arm. WOW ! I can push the bike around the shop or spin it around w/no fear of it falling. The only way to go.

Bill'

The stand That I recieved from MG cycles measures 16" across as shown and this is the bobbin locations

Hope this helps

SAM_0354.jpg

SAM_0346.jpg

SAM_0347.jpg

SAM_0349.jpg

SAM_0348.jpg

draidt said:
Bill'

The stand That I recieved from MG cycles measures 16" across as shown and this is the bobbin locations

Hope this helps

SAM_0354.jpg

Helps lots, Dan.

My bobbins are in the same places.

But, check out my stand's measurements:

FWIW, I bought this from mojohand, who did not use the stand at all. He bought it from apexal based on this ad in g/t classified:

apexal said:
Selling the following items that I removed from my 2010 Griso 8V (just sold the Griso):

Genuine MG Workshop Stand with spindles, part # GU973243500010, used for 8 months, very good condition. Will ship in original box and packing.
For a full description go here: http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/en_US/acces ... aspx?id=67
$125 plus actual shipping costs to your zip code (New ones selling for about $215)

Entire thread here: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/162/7565.html

I note that apexal posted here today, but don't know if he follows anything other than his classified, which seems to have closed now with sale of the muffler.

Cannot imagine how he "used it for 8 months," at least on the Griso. Baffling. Will PM him.

Bill

Attachments

• 2012-01-03_20-06-18_565.jpg
    2012-01-03_20-06-18_565.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 562
  • 2012-01-03_20-06-26_357.jpg
    2012-01-03_20-06-26_357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 562
Back