• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heli-Bars for Moto Guzzi Norge...

On my Norge, with the Heli-bars installed, the cables and brake lines have more than enough slack in them.

Hi,

The cables have no slack and front hose had to be loosened from the retainer on the bottom yoke to even get the handlebar in the riser, then it is tight all the way down, so I will need to get at least 2 to 3 inches longer hoses to give some slack, I am not sure if tthe cables will work yet, I may have to have the fuel tank off and try to get more slack, or maybe get longer cables> This is really frustrating as I can see the new position will be better, if I can get everything working OK.

Regards

Bobelpfan

From my experience the Breva and the Norge are NOT the same as far as cable lengths go. I used the simple bar riser from Mike Bui and while the Norge was 'fine', the cables on my Breva were far too tight. Took them off and sold the risers.

Good to see the positive reviews on this set up but IMO they are a bit funky looking and far too expensive.

boy, am I ever glad you posted your results with the Heli-Bars regarding their fit to your Breva. After reading all the info to the positive, I was going to order them tomorrow. I am sorry though, that you had to be the one to find out about the cable and hose lengths. I wonder if Heli-Bars is aware of this problem. Their ad claims it is perfectly fine for both the Breva and Norge. With any kind of luck, they might offer a cable and hose kit to solve the problem. This setup would be ideal for my particular frame and arthritic shoulder and finger joints. I'm going to e-mail Heli and ask if they are aware of this problem. GOOD LUCK! to you. max

:cheer: Well I had my Hellibars on my Norgy since Sturgis. Do I like them Yes I thought about getting them when I saw them at strugis. It was a toss up seat or risers. had the risers in hand got the Air butt so the seat can wait till snow time.I would like to se them flatter/straighter( straghten up my wirst), I am 6'2". I like them better than the stock bars even with risers PERIOD. I think the factory is V.C. and they make there bike that way. V.C. verticlly chalenged. :woohoo: MIKE.

Another thought about the cables-- I could probably order an entire cable and hose replacement for a Norge. Then we would have no problems with lengths. BUT ! I'll bet they would set one back a small fortune. Oh well, just an idea. Max

I find that what helps knee ache from setting in after riding for a while, is to ride along standing the way off-roaders do, to stretch the legs, . Having high 'bars helps, but I find those on my Breva excellent for standing. It's also a great feeling to cruise along at 120kph standing with nothing in front of you. Like low flying. Cornering is no problem either, as you hold the bike between your knees and just lean into the corner. Not recommended for slow corners though. I'm happy to ride standing from as low as 60kph and up to about 130kph, in reasonably calm conditions of course. Sometimes my pillion stands too, holding onto my shoulders and with a topbox giving rear security. Picture this - two bikes side by side at highway speed both with their riders and pillions standing.........! Hard not to laugh and so lose concentration.

Hi,

good news/bad news, I have refitted the Helibars, It is more comfortable, looks good, and very well finished, but the brake hoses are going to need changing, they are tight when bike is on the sidestand (No mainstand on my bike,)but just about usable when suspension compressed by not inconsiderable ballast !

Helibars have replied swiftly to my concerns, and say they have not tried the conversion with a 2009 1200 Breva, but unless Guzzi have changed the cables/hoses the set up should be the same as the Norge, and probably the Breva 1100.

I have priced up two new longer Brake Hoses, using a longer banjo bolt and running one to each caliper directly to the master cylinder, rather than the standard split hose, this comes out at

Important difference in this context: the Norge has ABS, meaning the brake hoses are routed quite differently.

It's not a good idea to ride a bike with the front brake hose coming under tension at any stage of fork movement. The front wheel can come off the ground just by riding over road undulations. Not by much maybe, but full extension can still occur. Brevas don't pull wheelies often of course!

Hi,

I will post a picture of the Hepco & Becker boxes in the next day or so, I have arranged to get custom made brake hoses fitted next weeek, the clutch one is not affected, I will not be attempting wheelies or charging over a hump back bridge in the meanwhile !

The Helibars are a vast improvement to the stock bars,as I tend to use a bike a lot, up to 18,000 miles a year, I feel it is worth the investment, and when I replace the breva it will more than likely be another Guzzi,either a Norge or another Breva,so the Helibars can be swapped onto the new bike.

The only other change will be a Power Commander and exhaust change when Dynojet get around to it, if they don't get around to it, then I will just fit a Quill pipe to get the weight down, and give the bike the proper sound it deserves.

regards Bobelpfan

Hi

I have changed my avatar to show the bike fitted with the Hepco and Becker luggage, and the Helibars, clicking on it will show the picture.

Regards Bobelpfan

That is really clean looking. I would not mind having that same setup myself if I did not have the Norge. You should have bought the Norge that Jason at Speaker's Cycle had that arrived with no bags and broken fairing so he converted it to a Breva with ABS and heated grips. Then you would have the whole package!

Hi

My local dealer had some custom braided brake hoses made up today, he is based at Silverstone Race Circuit, so the guy who measured up had made them and I had them fitted and ready to go in just over an hour, The set up is now two longer hoses, side by side from the master cylinder. The right hand one is 30mm longer, the left is 40mm longer,plenty of free play now, and a weight off my mind.

All up it cost

Hello to all,
I just got my new Helibars for my B1100 and they would be great other than the clutch cables being to short. I can get enough play to get them to the height on the left side but not enough to even get close to installing them in the hole. Did not try the right side with the brake lines because looks way to short. I read the threads before I bought them and had hoped they would work OK. Like everyone says the cost is alot but thought I would try them. If I remove the tank can I get enough extra length for the clutch cables? Even if that works will I have enough extra brake cable for the right side? I talked to Heli before I ordered them and they said oh no problem the cables should fit. I guess SHOULD is the catch word. Any all help would be appreciated since I am planning to send them back within the 30 days if Heli offers no help.
Thanks to everyone

Hey Willis,

On the B1100 maximum rise is limited by the brake hydraulic hose - 20mm will only just go, but the hose will be at absolute max extension (stll OK though) if you lift the front wheel off the ground. Clutch hose and cables will go to 25mm no probs.

Without having seen the Hellibars up close and personal, I suspect the problem is that they are not a straight rise and have a rearward component to the adjusted position of the bars as well, and that combined with rise will give grief in the cable stretch department.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Asked my dealer (which I graduated from high school with) to take a look at. He was very nice and sent his mechanic to my house on Saturday. He took the headlight out and got plenty of play for the left side by moving wires and cables around some and it worked OK. Then we tried the right side with the front brake cables being the biggest problem. The difference between the Norge and B1100 is the way the wires and cables are routed. The Norge has the cover on top of the triple tree and B1100 does not so the routing on B1100 is in front of the triple tree. He (Scotty) is going to take my dash off then cut a nice hole for the cables and wires to come up closer to the tree and hopefully all will work. If not they will go back for sure. If it works will take pictures to show everyone. Hopefully it will help othrs beacause if not I would tell Heli not to seel for the B1100.
Best to all

Hi,

a short update, Helibars are much more comfortable, and a problem with tennis elbow and sore hands has now gone away.
Downside was needing longer front brake hoses fitted, I went with two hoses rather than a split one for the two calipers, also the Guzzi tank bag is too close now, restricting lock, and switching the hazard flasher switch on with the bag !(mine is on the right hand switchgear)

On balance well worth it, as I was being put off riding it by the pain caused by the stock risers, I now have 6,400 miles up in total since the 28th of April this year, service and new rear tyre due next month. I am undecided whether to stay with Metzelers, or try Dunlop Roadsmarts, I'll see nearer the time.

Regards Bobelpfan

Back