• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I hear it all the time BMW,s are better!!!!!

1st V7 classic

Tuned and Synch'ed
Is that really true?? Are Beamer boxers better made bikes??? Even the dealer service tech tells me that Guzzi,s of today are troublesome. I have had my share,oil leaks,broken shifter arm,head gasket leak,idle problems. But when she runs its music and a docile smooth ride . Who are this Beamer people and are they right???? Should I buy the R1200R roadster??

1st V7 classic said:
Is that really true?? Are Beamer boxers better made bikes??? Even the dealer service tech tells me that Guzzi,s of today are troublesome. I have had my share,oil leaks,broken shifter arm,head gasket leak,idle problems. But when she runs its music and a docile smooth ride . Who are this Beamer people and are they right???? Should I buy the R1200R roadster??

the answer is NO :mrgreen:

I work on both. Each brand has their own problems. It seems that when BMW has an engineering problem, they use the most complicated solution. Works great while it is working, but when it fails, are real PITA to repair. Prime example being the current issue with rear drives. The large bearing fails due to not being properly shimmed at the factory. The process for shimming this bearing is awful so I can understand it not being properly shimmed. I know a fellow on his fourth rear drive. Since I have my choice to ride, you will see me on a Guzzi, not a BMW.

The answer is the R1200R is a rocket ship and is probably the best buy in the BMW line up, the seat sucks though.

In all honestly for what ever reason most of the bikes last for many,many miles without the dreaded rear end failure. I guess it is a crap shoot if the bike you get will or will not.

Hi,

I think (...) Bmw's are more reliable, through the years. :blush: , sorry...
Old Bmw's need as much attention as a Guzzi.
But that doesn't mean, Guzzi isn't reliable!
About the looks, Is there anyting looking better as a heavenly Griso?? NO :twisted: !!
If I take a drive, I see many, many Bmw's. Many boxer engines. On every street, on every corner.
How many Guzzis do I see? Most of the time one... the one I'm sitting on. :mrgreen:
During my latest, FOUR (!) weeks holiday, through France, Italy, Corsica, Italy and Swiss I saw nearly hundreds of the Bmw's.
On Corsica 8 Guzzis (one Dutch Griso. No, not me...), in Italy about 10 Guzzis.
That's real exclusivity. B)
Other people look at you and your bike! :*
And talking about the driving of the Guzzi (Griso).
It has it's own character, nearly charisma.
It's not the easyist bike to drive, you will notice the Guzzi is there. But it's great fun.
If you want to have it seamless, very nice, smoothly and hearing anything and so on... Buy the Bmw...
Do you want to show your back bone, go for the Guzzi

I loved my Harley for more than 20 years, now my Griso took over.
Ad B

I like the way Guzzi,s sit better for me. Mine is a 2009 V7 and its in the second time for a head oil leak where the jug meets the block. They wanted to retorque the head agian,but I say put a new head gasket on. The tech does favor BMW and says once you work the bugs out of a Guzzi they will run forever. But at the same time he says BMW are better made. Maybe he don,t like to work on Guzzi,s. I have now7,500 miles. I like the V7.

The BMW service department is just as busy as the Guzzi service department. I have heard a few stories about poor customer service from owners of both as well. But nothing like the way the Japanese makers treat their customers in the off chance one of their appliances fails.
Both bikes have their issues. If you want an appliance that just runs when you turn the key buy a Honda.
But Guzzi's tend to last a long time and as they age the bugs get worked out and they become very reliable.
Any bike can have issues (even Honda's) but not every bike has character. Guzzi's are not for everybody, neither are BMW's. But for those that get it they are right.

GuzziMoto said:
The BMW service department is just as busy as the Guzzi service department. I have heard a few stories about poor customer service from owners of both as well. But nothing like the way the Japanese makers treat their customers in the off chance one of their appliances fails.
Both bikes have their issues. If you want an appliance that just runs when you turn the key buy a Honda.
But Guzzi's tend to last a long time and as they age the bugs get worked out and they become very reliable.
Any bike can have issues (even Honda's) but not every bike has character. Guzzi's are not for everybody, neither are BMW's. But for those that get it they are right.

maybe this is the case in the states, in Austria and Germany, Netherlands, also Italy itself, 30% of all bikes are BMW, you see BMW at each corner. on the mountain roads you see 50% BMW R1xxxGS .
MG are quite rare. But, this does not mean BMW is better or MG is not so good.
I drive MG exactly because of this reason - nobody else has one and a MG is a real exotic bike where I live.

If we define "better" by the "quality" criteria used to prove BMW is "better" than Guzzi then ...
everybody should go buy a Honda :blink:

I think that even 4 cylinder Hondas have more character than the strong but soulless "electric" modern boxers or BMW two cylinder inlines (I found the F800GS an excellent product and one of the most colorless bikes I ever rode-bored me to death).
So it depends what you call "better" or what "better" fits your needs.

(Now, on the other hand and given the occasion that I live in financially f*^%& up Greece,
when I remember of various german press articles on the greek mess I can only think that a lobotomized reader would believe such low level yellow analyses so it makes sense for the same reader to buy a BMW boxer... :roll:
Thank god germans also buy a lot of Guzzis as I see a lot used for sale on the mobile.de site so there must also be a lot of normal guys there...)

GuzziMoto said:
But nothing like the way the Japanese makers treat their customers in the off chance one of their appliances fails.
There is a reason for that: If a Japanese guy admits of shameful wrong doing on the bike he honorably sold you he should commit seppuku to save his honor so its better to insist the user messed it up.... :pinch:

Norge gt or Bmw 1200rt ,they both look almost alike. But there is a $3000 dollar spread between the two. Given your wheaties and oatmeal which one would you buy???? I am looking to move up from the V7 for highway two up travel. I may keep the V7 for around town and sport twisties. How do the Norges do on the long haul?? I have not drank the BMW Kool-aid yet.

BMW is absolutely better! That why I have 4 guzzis! Drink the Kooool AAID... BEEE EMM DUBA-UU. :shock: Are you hypnotized yet?

I rode my friend's 1200RT, the steering was precise and nimble, but there was a lack of resistance, don't know how to describe it better. Almost felt like ice skating and the power band was flat or a straight line. There was power but no grunt-torque. I think those bike have a timing gear, not sure, but there was a whining. I was glad to get off and back on my shitty good for nothing guzzi. I don't like either bike, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Norge. But the RT has more cool gizmos. BMW is sort of like HD, they suck the money out of you.

I have to hand it to BMW they have a great marketing and vision team, and a drive to produce. They go after different market segments. 10 years ago, who would have guessed that they would have gone after the rice burner market? I often wish guzzi would put some other engine configurations outther. Some of their past engine configurations were outrageous. The trans V was pretty much an orphan design. Go figure, not it's all they got. I'd buy a Falcone, if they made one again, but not an up right single like the Bmr etc. I'm sure the bike would be a flop. Who wants a low power single cylinder ballerina that would be great in town?

No theyre not. My girlfriend had 2 a scarver and an r1150r rockster. They have a thirst for oil and the aftermarket service is not as good as it schould be. I have visited many online forums of the bie em dubblejou and they hav just as much problems as any other brand.

BMW's are like a___ holes, everybody's got one.

I also tow then quite regularly.

Last week i went to visit a friend of mine who is in partnership in the New BMW dealership in Asheville NC. Parked my 2009 White V7C at the entrance to the showroom. Went in and realized there was not a bike on the floor that I could afford and only one I could flat foot. All the clothing was also out of reach, but I had a chance to try on that $600.00 C3 modular helmet (It will be a lottery win purchase :lol: ) Well visited for a while and left. While suiting up to leave a BMW rider pulled up next to me and we exchanged how nice each others bike was. Then he turns to me and asks "How much does the Guzzi weigh loaded with petro and whatever." I said I believe under 450 Lbs. He said that the two beemers he own's If they fell over he would have to get help or a wrecker to pick them up. (He was older than me and I am 72 :shock: ) I gave him a sales pitch for the Guzzi, and he thanked me and said he would look into one when he got to Hendersonville.

While we were talking, two other gentlemen we busy listening to our conversation, and when we finished speaking came over and began asking questions about the V7C, as the one's wife rides a HD Fatboy because she is short and can flat foot it but she has problems handling the weight (and he did not have a winning lottery ticket to buy anything in the BMW showroom, plus his wife would need a step ladder to mount any of the bikes :eek: ). To make a long story short when He gets back to NJ he is taking her to the nearest Guzzi dealer and see about a V7C :D

What a wonderful afternoon to be able to do a sale's pitchfor Guzzi's in the parking lot of the BMW dealer :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Bill :evil:

Oldmanjob your right the v7 is nimble,agile, and like a ballerina on her toes and a voice like a opera singer angels! That being said I like my V7 and in 8000miles have never seen another MG on the road! Where can they be hiding??? Harleys every where,honda,s,BMW,s but no Motto-Guzzi,s to be seen. Strange looks on peoples faces when they read the rear seat or gas tank,What the heck is a Motto-Guzzi????????? I have put 3m colored tape on my helmits to mimic Italy,s Flag.

@ 1st V7 classic.....

Maybe the people don't know it because it is a Moto Guzzi.... (not Motto Guzzi;)

Anyway... nice bike, i have seen three of them yesterday in Holland.

Greetz Rob

BMW has Marketing - this is true. I see them everywhere too - like HD. But they lack character and serious grunt. In 1700 miles to Montana and back I saw 1 Moto Guzzi - a 2002 V11. People ask me do they still make Moto Guzzi - I just stare at them in wonder, like "what are you looking at now!"

Look into the 2011 Stelvio - I'd buy one :lol:

tomsp said:
BMW has Marketing - this is true. I see them everywhere too - like HD. But they lack character and serious grunt. In 1700 miles to Montana and back I saw 1 Moto Guzzi - a 2002 V11. People ask me do they still make Moto Guzzi - I just stare at them in wonder, like "what are you looking at now!"

Look into the 2011 Stelvio - I'd buy one :lol:

have you ever ridden one ?
a 1200GS has more grunt than the new Stelvio, be sure

This reminds me of the Canon v Nikon war. Both are fantastic machines but their supporters and detractors are fiercely tribal. Don't worry what others say or think of your choice, follow your own conviction.

And before you point the finger at one or the other remember that the icon of reliability, Toyota, has had to recall millions of vehicles for basic defects to safety systems i.e. brakes and that service shops around the world are filled with warranty claims.

I'll give you a little story. At one time the Honda Legend and Rover Sterling were built by the same people, at the same time on the same production line yet Sterling warranty claims outweighed Legend's by eight to one. If you've already decided what you're going to find, you'll find it.

Relax, and just ride the f****ng thing!

I considered a BMW and did ride an R1200R from a dealer.
Actually I thought it was a great bike, if a little bland.
At one point though, I was taking a right hand bend quite vigorously, when I felt the back end losing grip.
Thinking I might have a puncture, I pulled over to inspect and found the the final drive bevel box had sprung a massive oil leak, which had ended up all over the back tyre.
I was very lucky it didn't cause a crash.
Since then I have found out that BMW final drives and gearboxes are prone to faults but to be honest that wasn't the reason I chose my Guzzi over the Beemer.
The fact is that the Beemer was a vastly superior bike in virtually every way, but there was one big problem with it.
It left no lasting impression, whereas the Guzzi had me grinning from ear to ear, which made it the better choice and better bike in my humble opinion
:D

Back