Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Manifold nuts/studs

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by John L, Mar 25, 2018.

1. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Has anyone found an alternative to the standard manifold nuts? I can see these being a problem down the track.

Attached Files:

2. caliman

caliman Tuned and Synch'ed

Sure have. I bought some dome titanium nuts off eBay and they look heaps better. No rust and cover up the threads.

3. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

Can post the link?

4. roadventure

Haven't had a problem with them. I just make sure they get some "never-sieze" applied when putting them back on.

5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I can offer a full stainless kit including studs for $25/pair in 316 stainless. If interested, post below and I will put them on the online Store here.

John L likes this.
  6. Rickhinnz

Rickhinnz Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I’m interested. Could you put together a kit including exhaust gaskets? So 4 studs, nuts and 2 gaskets.

How easy is it to swap the studs?

John L likes this.
  7. John L

Hi Todd, yes I would be interested, and as Rickhinnz says how easy is it to remove the studs?

8. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Heh, always a curve ball thrown... I can do gaskets, just takes more time and adds to my expense to get the kit out, but sure.
    All 1400's should be still new enough to simply double nut the existing studs to extract. There hasn't been many over the years, including 30+ old machines, that didn't bring them easily out or with a little help from penetrating (Kr)oil.
    Let me get the numbers together and I'll post/put them online.

Rickhinnz and John L like this.
  9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

A word of warning. I installed stainless steel nuts a couple of years ago on my Cali 1400 Custom. Within days 3 out of the 4 nuts galled to the studs. When I went to undo the nuts the studs separated from the head instead.

I put one of the studs in the vice and tried to undo the nut. There was no way that was going to happen. I had to replace all the studs and use chromed brass dome nuts instead.

What I didn't understand is that galling is meant to occur with stainless steel on stainless steel, or that's what I thought. This was stainless steel on steel; it shouldn't have galled, but there's greater forces out there that I don't understand.

John L likes this.
  10. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Chinese stainless is often junk.

John L likes this.
  11. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Who said they were Chinese? They certainly weren't cheap from my local bolt shop.

John L likes this.
  12. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Kiwi Dave that was not aimed at you personally.

Price does not guarantee place of origin.
    Talk to some metal fabricators.

I have "Stainless" bolts that are rusting, from China.

13. roadventure

"Stainless Steel" is just a term describing steels that have a minimum amount of chromium (about 10.5%). The more chromium, the lower the likelihood that it will oxidize. The geographic origin has no meaning.

14. Trout

Trout GT Reference

And if China is selling inferior products using less chromium then the geographic origin does have meaning.
    Do we test all metals coming from China to make sure they are up to standards?

JGBoise likes this.
  15. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Rather than hitting out at China, why don't you just use good ol' USA stainless nuts on your exhaust studs and then report back that they're still OK and can be easily removed.

16. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

I always buy A4 (or AISA316) graded washers, bolts, nuts etc. They are used in a lot of marine applications so tend to be more resilient to corrosion.

17. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Dude, I'm not hitting out on China to be mean or nasty.
    Facts is facts & hardware that comes from over there is many times sub standard.
    Note that I say Many Times not It's all Junk.

It's not just hardware either check out food labels like frozen fish that is packaged with Carbon Monoxide.
    That's the stuff that cat converters are supposed to eliminate from vehicle exhausts.

18. John L

From manifold nuts to frozen fish. Perhaps Todd while you're getting the numbers together you could give us a price on frozen fish as well, how's that for a curve ball?

GTM® likes this.
  19. Rickhinnz

Rickhinnz Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Herrings?

20. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi ya Todd, is that a pair of exhaust headers (ie both cylinders done) or is that a pair of studs (ie one cylinder done)? If it's both cylinders count me in.