Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. The site owner Todd had surgery on Monday, and will be very slow to respond to all inquiries, including online Store questions.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  3. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Modifying stock V7 ii exhaust?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Urbansherpa, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Urbansherpa

Urbansherpa Just got it firing!

I have a 2016 V7 ii Racer. I presently do not wish to fork out a Grand (Cdn$) for a new exhaust. Perhaps I will in the future.
    Is there ANY reasonable way to alter/mod the stock, factory exhaust for higher volume? Not looking for a hp gain....just decibels.
    Cheers

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

When you do that, you may need fueling mods to compensate for the flow difference. Correcting fueling isn't cheap either.

GTM® likes this.
  3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Define reasonable. Meaning cheap and easy? If so, no. If you have fabrication and welding skills, sure. The mufflers have cat-cons, and the baffling is basically a metal plug that forces the exhaust in ways you can't imagine it can actually flow. Remove the cat, drill through the baffle with a really long drill bit that fits in the outer opening. That's all I can offer, nothing else.

4. Mr Pootle

Mr Pootle Cruisin' Guzzisti

I can understand trying to modify the exhaust to get more performance or better mileage, but simply to make it louder? Why would you want to?

Robert Gibson likes this.
  5. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

So it don't sound like a moped.

GTM® likes this.
  6. Urbansherpa

Ummm.....same reason MOST people do so. I've had several bikes and any exhaust mod I've ever done has made a nearly indiscernible performance gain. Maybe 10% increase in hp? Maybe. I wouldn't notice it unless racing. I'm older, and no longer race.
    I think that a lot of times the louder volume of a modified exhaust makes the bike SOUND more powerful, but unless you dyno it, you may never know. I like the throaty sound of a more open exhaust. I'd think that most gearheads would, too.
    Do you think Harley riders do it for more hp?

7. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Most exhaust mods without other corresponding changes actually can make the machine run not as well as stock. Any modification you make in one area, requires corresponding modifications to keep or gain performance.

Robert Gibson and roadscum like this.
  8. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Best of luck there :wondering:. Even a system carefully designed from the exhaust port out, and with fueling mods to compensate would struggle to give you 10% - assuming no other performance mods.
    However, I agree that a sweet sound can more than make up for that minor disappointment.

9. Trout

Trout GT Reference

I am not a fan of super loud, obnoxious loud exhaust.
    BUT
    There is nothing like hearing & feeling the vibe of an Italian V-Twin with "less restrictive" exhaust twisting at 5000 & above.
    Love my Griso with Todds under carriage system.

hody166 likes this.
  10. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

So true John, folks seeking performance improvements need to take into account the entire motor. More noise alone is not a performance improvement. It may sound faster or the seat of the pants dunno may lead you to believe it's a faster bike but that's simply not the case.

Paul

11. Urbansherpa

Yes. My thought, exactly. Louder 'sounds' like more power....but isn't (much). The throaty rumble of a twin is a beautiful sound that I can't get enough of.

*All the best to anyone riding in DGR this Sunday.

hody166 likes this.
  12. PA Sand

PA Sand Tuned and Synch'ed

Actually I would like just a few dB more. In city traffic it's a safety thing to be noticed. The stock Arrow exhaust of the V7II Stornello is more noticeable than the usual stock exhaust of V7II's, but still would like it a bit louder. Not vulgar loud, just a bit. Performance is fine as it is.

On the Stornello the back end plug can be screwed out, it comes out velded with the db-killer. I am thinking of drilling some more holes in it - and put it back in. And for MOT just reverse by putting some metal plate temporarily around the new holes. I'm sure there are better ways but all much more expensive.

Charlie749 likes this.
  13. Trout

Trout GT Reference

In relation to your other post about popping:
    If you do this it is going to get worse & without "fixing" the issue (fuel mapping / computer reflash)

You are going to start going down the rabbit hole of spending little bits of money here & there getting more frustrated until you either spend the money to fix the bike OR sell the bike for way less than you have invested.

I have bought many fine machines for very reasonable prices from people who bad mouthed Guzzi doing exactly what you are doing.

PS: Loud exhaust is not a "safety.... to be noticed thing", anyone depending on that to stay out of trouble is a statistic waiting to be logged.

Learn to ride with eyes wide open.

NorthernProducer likes this.
  14. Dinsdale Piranha

Listen to this ^^ man. He's right on all counts!

15. jpv7

jpv7 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Not sure where you got your bike from, but I got mine from George at Corsa in Toronto. He gave me a sweet deal on Canadian made Hindles. Keep in mind no removable baffles, so you can't make them quieter...they are pretty much open.

Now before you run out and get them, mine went on at the dealership, new bike never run with the stock mufflers with stock fuelling. Now it became quickly apparent that the fuelling needed to be done (bike ran like crap with back firing during cold starting).

Got a map from Todd and the bike runs great now. Hindle quality is decent enough and he's local if they need to be repaired. But if i had to do it again i would spent another 300-400 cdn and get Todd's reverse cone megs as i like the look a bit better. i'm sure they'd be solid too.

If i was you, i would touch anything until you have the $ to do it right.

Trout likes this.
  16. Urbansherpa

Thanks JPV. I saw George last week for my 1000km service. He's quite a character. Great guy. I could have spent all day talking to him! I actually bought my V7 ii Racer in Montreal. (A LOT cheaper...$8299 / $6600USD)
    I think I'll end up buying off Todd, here. So, there is no place near the GTA that can do a remap? How much does a remap cost? Cheers

17. jpv7

jpv7 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yes, George is a character - good guy and he will help you however he can. Nothing I know of near GTA.

18. Nashou66

Nashou66 Just got it firing!

Around here in Buffalo NY I always here bikers say " Loud pipes save lives"

Nashou

19. Dinsdale Piranha

I've heard that said for decades. Frankly I reckon it's just weak justification for liking loud exhausts. I love a nice exhaust note, but I don't feel the need to justify my choice. There's also the fact that most cars now-a-days are well sound proofed and the occupants, as often as not, have seriously loud excuses for music playing.

I reckon you just make it sound how you like and be satisfied with your choice.
    (That'll be 2c thank you. Pay as you leave :p)

Trout likes this.
  20. Urbansherpa

OP here

Check out these videos from a dude who drilled out his exhausts. I've been in contact with him and he says it takes ten minutes per, and a few 2" hole saws to gut the mufflers. Says it's not as loud as a straight pipe, but definitely much louder than stock. This is basically what I'm looking for. I like the look of the factory exhaust, and this is hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I'd like to know if the forum members here think it is a feasible solution, and any detrimental effects that this operation may have.

Thanks

ValuePack likes this.