Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Monoshock removal

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

Having a heck of a time getting my shock out of 1200S. I've had this out a few times, it's always a headache but this time seems the worst.

It's the top bolt that gets me, it's not a straight shot to the bolt through the frame so I have to use a wobble or universal on the end of an extension. It is a 13mm socket for the bolt, correct?

I think I'm going to shop for a 1/4" drive universal tomorrow, maybe the smaller stuff will give me some more space.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. bswan

bswan Just got it firing!

I can't get it loose either, as you said, not a direct line, using a wobble adapter just causes the socket to slip off. Any hints?

3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Bruce, per my direct email, a long wobble and shallow 13mm socket is what I always use, and never had a problem to date (knock wood). Do not use a 1/4" drive, that will snap off or bend.

4. Fiat500

Fiat500 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Try not using a universal or wobble adapter just an extension and a 6 point NOT 12 point socket.

Then have your brace or ratchet at 4 o,clock, hold some weight in on socket and pull up so the extension stays hard against the frame.

Works for me.

5. makarushka

makarushka Cruisin' Guzzisti

+1 on a straight extension. Just did this a few weeks ago installing a Mupo shock from Todd on my 1200... It very much was a straight shot to the bolt on my bike... Getting the shock out and the new one in is another matter but also quite easy if you have a separate jack under the CARC to raise or lower the swingarm during the process as needed, and have the lower linkage out of the way entirely.

6. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

My problem ended up being a bent top shock mount bolt. Last year I hit a massive pothole, bent the wheel and was basically a bit pain.
    I believe that this bottomed out the suspension hard enough that the top mounting bolt stretched and bent. It was quite the sight to see.
    I ended up removing all the plastic on the back half of the bike to include the inner fender/battery tray. This allowed me to get a socket directly on the bolt head without the use of any extensions and I was able to turn the bolt out. I ordered a new bolt, put it all back together and I'm back on the road.

7. bswan

bswan Just got it firing!

Wobble extension along with a 6 pt socket did the trick. Finished the install, went for a ride, happiness! All in, GT-Rx ECU re-flash, PC/AT fueling upgrade, and the Matris front/rear suspension upgrade, has transformed my Norge, love it. Thanks Todd.

GTM® likes this.
  8. triumphtwin

triumphtwin Tuned and Synch'ed

I know this is an old thread... But I plan on doing it this weekend. What do I need to do to also grease the swing arm bearings on my Breva 1100? And what type of grease is recommended? Also do you spray clean the bearings 1st with a solvent like brakleen, then regrease?

Thx
    Mark

9. GTM®

Most of that's covered in this post, but it's a low friction needle bearing set up, so a good water-proof grease. Most of the time you can just grease them without cleaning them, as it is a bit of a nightmare to put them back in. Slide the sleeve out halfway and grease, then repeat on the other side.

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Mark, Also covered in the Stelvio section https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/stelvio-swingarm-service.12240/ You do need a special socket to set the pre-load on the swing arm bearings. Those also are notoriously dry from the factory. The procedure is just about the same for all CARC bikes. On the Stelvio though you don't need to remove the "pork chops" that are on the Breva and Norge

11. triumphtwin

Ok thx for the tip.

12. triumphtwin

Thanks for additional info!

13. mylovelyhorse

mylovelyhorse Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Excellent advice, thank you - exactly what I needed to change the shock on my 2007 Norge this afternoon.

14. Gary Taylor

Gary Taylor Just got it firing!

About to change the bottom triangle link on my 1200 Breva. It's a lowering link. So I don't have to touch the top of the shocker. Was just going to take the weight off the back wheel . ie raise center of bike , no center stand . Swap link . Job done, I hope

15. Chris Wilson

Chris Wilson Tuned and Synch'ed

Just swapped out the rear shock on a Bellagio so I can speak with some authority.
    Don't bother doing anything with the spring pre-load adjuster as the unit comes out upwards simply by removing the left passenger footpeg and flexing the plastic guard outwards so that it gives clearance.
    Trying to remove the standard Sachs unit by twisting and dropping simply doesn't work as it catches on Tonti modified frame.
    Here in Sydney Australia I went for an Ikon custom made unit that measured 310mm eye to eye but internally has 10mm longer stroke than standard.
    So standard Bellagio ride height is maintained but it has more travel that's basically used up by sag.

Chris Wilson.

16. GTM®

Hi Chris, thanks for posting, but not really suited for this Breva/Norge/Sport thread. If you wanted to post pictures like I did at the top of this thread, I'd be happy to create an all new thread for it in the appropriate section. Bummer they never brought the Bellagio to North America, but then I'd have likely never built my custom frames... Which are incredible all the way around really.
    Cheers/enjoy.

17. Chris Wilson

Chris Wilson Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks Todd, but please consider that this thread is a 'go to' tutorial for CARC bikes regardless of model and I have used it as such.
    There is nothing available on the net that I know of that tells me how to remove the rear shock on the most obscure CARC model, the Bellagio, except for this.
    The reply to me is simply a plus one for CARC bikes as it was a net search on that subject that brought me here in the first place.
    Your call mate.