• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

That is an unusual rig. If it doesn't work well for you try a No-Mar machine. Not cheap, but well designed. I use a manual Coates machine I picked up used. I do use the No-Mar bead breaker attachment for the Coates so I don't scratch rims, and for some wheels with a very shallow dish I use the No-Mar bar instead of the Coates bar.

View attachment 35287
John
The No Mar was on my list along with the Rabaconda$$ but stumbled across this set up and the u-tube videos were impressive and most of all it seemed a lot more portable than the NoMar so I can just throw it in the truck when I do trailer the bike somewhere being my bikes seem to attract every nail on the highway. I let you all know how it works this weekend

It absolutely dumbfounds me around here.

Getting people to understand the value of world class fueling setup or state of the art suspension components, is like pulling teeth. Without fail the extreme tightwad syndrome comes out and they won’t part with a penny for anything. Also the negative attitude regarding the price of these transformative items, comes out in full force and glory.

Why spend money on something that will transform every single ride into a rocking experience when you can buy bling! 🥳

However, wave a ridiculously overpriced tire machine (No-Mar) in front of people, and everybody is ready to throw down vast sums of money that they don’t need and will statistically use 1-3 times. The cost per tire is outrageous.

I show them how to do it for $5 and the reply is…crickets chirping. 🤦‍♂️

Tire machines for the home mechanic is all about showing off honestly. I can teach anybody the zip tie method and you can do it just as fast and even significantly easier (you won’t even exert a sweat) than any home machine.

But then again, zip ties don’t make impressive garage jewelry that you show to friends.

I just don’t understand this logic at all. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It absolutely dumbfounds me around here.

Getting people to understand the value of world class fueling setup or state of the art suspension components, is like pulling teeth. Without fail the extreme tightwad syndrome comes out and they won’t part with a penny for anything. Also the negative attitude regarding the price of these transformative items, comes out in full force and glory.

Why spend money on something that will transform every single ride into a rocking experience when you can buy bling! 🥳

However, wave a ridiculously overpriced tire machine in front of people, and everybody is ready to throw down vast sums of money that they don’t need and will statistically use 1-3 times. The cost per tire is outrageous.

I show them how to do it for $5 and the reply is…crickets chirping. 🤦‍♂️

Tire machines for the home mechanic is all about showing off honestly. I can teach anybody the zip tie method and you can do it just as fast and even significantly easier (you won’t even exert a sweat) than any home machine.

But then again, zip ties don’t make impressive garage jewelry that you show to friends.

I just don’t understand this logic at all. 🤷‍♂️
Usually once one comes up with a tire machine, he ends up changing them for other people. Picking up a used machine can be cost effective. I picked up a used Coates manual for $200.00. It has more than paid for itself.

No, I’m going to say my peace here.

Tire machines are very nice. I own spectacular ones.

However, this site is always filled with guys seeking the cheapest and most direct way to fix their own motorcycles. They come here begging for help to everything any anything so as to avoid paying a professional dealership.

But, offer true cost saving information and valuable roadside skills, and repeatedly comes the “(Silly rabbit) tire machines are great, blah blah blah”.

I tell you this, you cannot carry a tire machine in your saddlebag and effect roadside repairs, but I sure can pack a dozen zip ties in my saddlebags.

Knowledge is power but only for those willing to receive it with an open heart and mind.

Last edited:
OK Scott please tell me how having tie wraps in my saddlebag is going to save my arse on the side of the road with a flat

Your retort sounds bitter and nasty but as I often say, I find it extremely difficult to understand intent in written language with no visual or auditory cues. It is my autism.

However I will give you the benefit of doubt and tell you how to save your ass on the side of the road.

If you have a center stand, piece of cake. If not, pack a small scissor jack and a flat piece of metal or wood.

Lift bike. Remove wheel. Remove tire (zip-ties). Patch tire (kit in saddlebag). Remount tire (zip-ties). Inflation cartridges (CO 2). Back on my way. Rebalance wheel at first opportunity.

Having been born and raised in San Diego, and having travelled extensively throughout Mexico and Baja California, one can easily die in the remote desert, on the paved road, waiting for a tow vehicle.

Zip-ties, scissor jack and CO 2 cartridges have saved my life more than once.

However, the side of the road in the middle of BFE, is not the place to learn the technique.

Satisfied?

Like I said… “Knowledge is power but only for those willing to receive it with an open heart and mind.”

Last edited:
Your autism is working overtime Scott
Your application might work for you but it won't work on my 1400 if my rear tire blows out, lets not forget about all the other tools one would need to just get to the point of removing the rear tire on a Cali Touring. Nobody on this post was pushing or bashing anyone for NOT owning tire machine, Yet you're here seemingly flabbergasted that someone would even consider getting one.....WHY????

Last edited:
Again that is not at all true. You can spend money any direction you want. I don’t care one way or the other. No skin off my nose.

I simply offered a very simple, very cheap, can be done literally anywhere, $5 solution. It seems to be universally poo pooed.

My 1400 Eldorado is the same bike. It can be done with minimal effort.

I think my default position to questions asked anymore is going to be to say “Take it to your dealer “ because like Todd, we get tired of investing hours upon hours to give detailed and professional help, only to be mocked and / or ignored.

Last edited:
Don't compare yourself to Todd...You bring this on yourself whereas Todd gets it thrown at him.
Lets review here, Your mind is blown because someone here splurged and bought a tire machine..correct? Now you on the other hand have been showing off you new found fortune(s) which includes the house of your dreams on the property your dreams along with the workshop you wanted. You also went and bought several MORE motorcycles all to which everyone here congratulated you on living the dream. Now right here..right now, your ranting because someone went and SPLURGED on a tire machine for THEMSELF and YOU can't fathom why they did that....WOW Scott..simply wow.

Todd and I have a very close and personal friendship. We talk amongst ourselves and share many common ideas and observations. I am extremely protective of him and I value our friendship highly.

I am happy for anybody who gets anything they like for themselves. I celebrate people’s joy and success. I love to read people’s excitement at what they purchase. I always offer congratulations and I try to greet and welcome all new members.

In this particular case, I wrote to you:

“ Interesting.

For the life of me, I cannot see how this device is clamping the wheel in place to utilize the duck head. Strange indeed.

I would be very wary of gouging the rim up.

These chinese tire tools are all just terrible. I do not recommend them at all but to each their own.”

The #1 weak link in these tools is the clamping. The wheel spins and the clamps end up gouging the rim. That’s why I asked about it.

You also commented how this new tool was going to be better than spoons and I specifically gave this other option to you so that you would never have to use spoons again. It wasn’t a pejorative directed at you.

My confusion and absurdity comment was directed at the very overpriced No-Mar setup which can cost in excess of $1,500 plus “options” and exorbitant shipping charges. But again, to each their own. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. I say this all the time.

My principle point was to offer another way to anybody reading that hey, you don’t need a tire machine to dismount or mount a tire. You don’t need a garage or mechanic.

You can do it yourself for $5 paltry dollars.

That was my point. It was another CHEAP solution to give what most people here usually ask for. I obviously screwed that delivery up in your case. I apologize.

Most tire machines are purchased and rarely used. This is truth. They are cool and can be really neat to own. To me, they are like Snap-On tool boxes. But in truth, most of either, are garage bling. They aren’t really needed, just cool to own. If that is your thing, then kudos! Enjoy.

For the member reading that can’t see owning one but would like to do there own tire changes, there is a way to do it for $5.

So I shared but nobody seemed to care. I found it extremely curious. So be it.

I commented on how Todd and I have shared with each other, the phenomenon of how people will balk and complain at the cost for real genuine products that will increase the daily performance and rideability of their motorcycles, but they will spend money on something that has only limited function without a hesitation at all. It’s unusually curious to us. It isn’t a matter of right or wrong but one of “hmm, why is that?”. That was my point.

Most people are here because they are seeking a way to avoid paying a professional shop for anything unless they are absolutely forced to. This is a fact.

A few of us give solutions to people all day every day for free and it can be maddening often times.

For 13 years I have helped people here over and over.

I have had hosted people in my home and shop for years. I have driven 1000+miles at my entire expense to rescue people off the side of the road. I have worked on members motorcycles for cheap and even free. I have traveled great distances to work on members motorcycles for nothing. I am joyful and happy to do all of this.

Unlike Todd, I have had hundreds of phone calls I’ve had with members to help for free. Hours and hours of my time given gladly and in pursuit of Guzzisti camaraderie.

My “new found wealth”?

My partner of 30 years and I retired! We were not poor before now. We live in Ohio which is cheap.

We owned property in California. We sold our primary residence for nearly 500% profit. We’ve worked our whole lives and I have collected motorcycles since I was 18. I sold 22 of them when I left California, and another 4 I brought here to Ohio with me. I’ve acquired some more since then yes, but all of them are USED of which I have said repeatedly that I bought for peanuts.

The property we bought and live on now is a fraction of the value of my home we lived in for 20 years in Findlay, and owned outright.

I’m very sorry that my stories of our life and my motorcycles has become such a burr in your saddle. I never meant to “show off” anything but a love of motorcycles, life and Guzzisti.

If you ever met me you would know this to be true. My clothes are Walmart, I own no jewelry other than my wedding ring and my college ring. I’ve worn the same brand and model of shoe for 20+ years and my bikes are all almost virtually stock. There is almost nothing on any of them.

I’ve shared everything I own with others, including open invitations for any member here to come visit and stay free and ride anything I have. I’ve also offered assistance mechanically to anybody in need who comes.

I do not covet others things and most certainly not my own things. I have all my life shareed everything I have been blessed with by God, with others. Always.

I’ve never gone to a group motorcycle function that I didn’t arrive with armfuls of gifts, wine and food that I personally prepared to share with everyone.

My postings were never meant to be show off or look at me. I am nothing like that at all.

I am a regular guy who uses a toilet just like everybody else. I have more than some, (blessings from God for which I am thankful), and considerably less than others, of which I hold no avarice or malice towards those with more than myself. Good for them. My posts were never ever meant to provoke such a reaction. I regret they affected you so. I am sorry.

Truly, based upon your previous writings, I thought you specifically even asked for more details to which I felt absolutely comfortable to share. I regret they upset you instead.

As I said before, I am happy for you and your tool. Truly. Congratulations! I hope that you enjoy it but be mindful to exercise caution with the clamping mechanism as that is the common weak link, and a spun gouged wheel is a supremely upsetting thing to just about anybody.

I knew your statement was meant tersely. I correctly interpreted it. Still I offered the Readers Digest version of just how $5 in zip-ties does have tremendous value and functionality and “can save your arse”. You just have to be willing to receive the knowledge. It’s ok if you don’t. You are upset and I understand.

I still offer:

My sincere apology for upsetting you and making you feel attacked. This was never my intention.

My sincere congratulations on the acquisition of your new tool. As a mechanic, I have felt that joy many times. Enjoy it! Kudos.

My sincere apologies that my trying to offer an alternative to tire machines, struck such a personal chord in you. That was never the intention or spirit of the message.

Plese forgive my intrusion into your personal joy. That was wrong of me.

You have every right to spend your money in any fashion you wish and to celebrate your life as you see fit. I support that belief 100%

Enjoy.

Peace

Last edited:
A tale of tyres. On my Eldo I have had, the original Dunlops, 2 pairs of Metzler 888's, 1 set Avon Cobra, 3 sets of Avon Cobra Chrome, now running Michelin Commander 3s, Original Dunlops 11,000kms, Metzlers around 14,000kms, Avons around 11,000kms, all were replaced as pairs, front and rear wearing at similar rates except the Michelins. Michelin Commanders front was replaced at 12,000km, (first time I have ever replaced a front tyre before the rear) could have got a bit more out of it but I was leaving on a long trip, they are now both getting close to replacement which will be around 13,000km for the front and the rear 25,000km. They keep their profiles very well and handling and feel, dry and wet, are excellent. The Metzlers always felt a bit edgy in the wet, the Avon's were excellent wet or dry, maybe have the edge when pushing very hard but the Michelin's have never given me a scary moment, I will be replacing them with another set :)
I am narrowing my tire purchase down to a couple of options. I live on a gravel driveway and gravel road. Albeit not far, but in the country and periodically there are wash outs from gravel on the hard top roads. So, I am careful for a period of time before I get to a main road. Since you had a few sets of the Cobra Chrome, how did they do on gravel roads? It appears that you might have been on a few of these types of roads and may have some first hand experience with that tire. I am careful and have not fallen but the Cobra Chromes are "sticky" and does this present any problems with picking up gravel and throwing the rocks up into the bike or getting embedded into the tire and making it unstable in anyway. My other tires have not had any issues, but they have not been in the Avon Cobra Chrome league either. Thx...

Todd and I have a very close and personal friendship. We talk amongst ourselves and share many common ideas and observations. I am extremely protective of him and I value our friendship highly.

I am happy for anybody who gets anything they like for themselves. I celebrate people’s joy and success. I love to read people’s excitement at what they purchase. I always offer congratulations and I try to greet and welcome all new members.

In this particular case, I wrote to you:

“ Interesting.

For the life of me, I cannot see how this device is clamping the wheel in place to utilize the duck head. Strange indeed.

I would be very wary of gouging the rim up.

These chinese tire tools are all just terrible. I do not recommend them at all but to each their own.”

The #1 weak link in these tools is the clamping. The wheel spins and the clamps end up gouging the rim. That’s why I asked about it.

You also commented how this new tool was going to be better than spoons and I specifically gave this other option to you so that you would never have to use spoons again. It wasn’t a pejorative directed at you.

My confusion and absurdity comment was directed at the very overpriced No-Mar setup which can cost in excess of $1,500 plus “options” and exorbitant shipping charges. But again, to each their own. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. I say this all the time.

My principle point was to offer another way to anybody reading that hey, you don’t need a tire machine to dismount or mount a tire. You don’t need a garage or mechanic.

You can do it yourself for $5 paltry dollars.

That was my point. It was another CHEAP solution to give what most people here usually ask for. I obviously screwed that delivery up in your case. I apologize.

Most tire machines are purchased and rarely used. This is truth. They are cool and can be really neat to own. To me, they are like Snap-On tool boxes. But in truth, most of either, are garage bling. They aren’t really needed, just cool to own. If that is your thing, then kudos! Enjoy.

For the member reading that can’t see owning one but would like to do there own tire changes, there is a way to do it for $5.

So I shared but nobody seemed to care. I found it extremely curious. So be it.

I commented on how Todd and I have shared with each other, the phenomenon of how people will balk and complain at the cost for real genuine products that will increase the daily performance and rideability of their motorcycles, but they will spend money on something that has only limited function without a hesitation at all. It’s unusually curious to us. It isn’t a matter of right or wrong but one of “hmm, why is that?”. That was my point.

Most people are here because they are seeking a way to avoid paying a professional shop for anything unless they are absolutely forced to. This is a fact.

A few of us give solutions to people all day every day for free and it can be maddening often times.

For 13 years I have helped people here over and over.

I have had hosted people in my home and shop for years. I have driven 1000+miles at my entire expense to rescue people off the side of the road. I have worked on members motorcycles for cheap and even free. I have traveled great distances to work on members motorcycles for nothing. I am joyful and happy to do all of this.

Unlike Todd, I have had hundreds of phone calls I’ve had with members to help for free. Hours and hours of my time given gladly and in pursuit of Guzzisti camaraderie.

My “new found wealth”?

My partner of 30 years and I retired! We were not poor before now. We live in Ohio which is cheap.

We owned property in California. We sold our primary residence for nearly 500% profit. We’ve worked our whole lives and I have collected motorcycles since I was 18. I sold 22 of them when I left California, and another 4 I brought here to Ohio with me. I’ve acquired some more since then yes, but all of them are USED of which I have said repeatedly that I bought for peanuts.

The property we bought and live on now is a fraction of the value of my home we lived in for 20 years in Findlay, and owned outright.

I’m very sorry that my stories of our life and my motorcycles has become such a burr in your saddle. I never meant to “show off” anything but a love of motorcycles, life and Guzzisti.

If you ever met me you would know this to be true. My clothes are Walmart, I own no jewelry other than my wedding ring and my college ring. I’ve worn the same brand and model of shoe for 20+ years and my bikes are all almost virtually stock. There is almost nothing on any of them.

I’ve shared everything I own with others, including open invitations for any member here to come visit and stay free and ride anything I have. I’ve also offered assistance mechanically to anybody in need who comes.

I do not covet others things and most certainly not my own things. I have all my life shareed everything I have been blessed with by God, with others. Always.

I’ve never gone to a group motorcycle function that I didn’t arrive with armfuls of gifts, wine and food that I personally prepared to share with everyone.

My postings were never meant to be show off or look at me. I am nothing like that at all.

I am a regular guy who uses a toilet just like everybody else. I have more than some, (blessings from God for which I am thankful), and considerably less than others, of which I hold no avarice or malice towards those with more than myself. Good for them. My posts were never ever meant to provoke such a reaction. I regret they affected you so. I am sorry.

Truly, based upon your previous writings, I thought you specifically even asked for more details to which I felt absolutely comfortable to share. I regret they upset you instead.

As I said before, I am happy for you and your tool. Truly. Congratulations! I hope that you enjoy it but be mindful to exercise caution with the clamping mechanism as that is the common weak link, and a spun gouged wheel is a supremely upsetting thing to just about anybody.

I knew your statement was meant tersely. I correctly interpreted it. Still I offered the Readers Digest version of just how $5 in zip-ties does have tremendous value and functionality and “can save your arse”. You just have to be willing to receive the knowledge. It’s ok if you don’t. You are upset and I understand.

I still offer:

My sincere apology for upsetting you and making you feel attacked. This was never my intention.

My sincere congratulations on the acquisition of your new tool. As a mechanic, I have felt that joy many times. Enjoy it! Kudos.

My sincere apologies that my trying to offer an alternative to tire machines, struck such a personal chord in you. That was never the intention or spirit of the message.

Plese forgive my intrusion into your personal joy. That was wrong of me.

You have every right to spend your money in any fashion you wish and to celebrate your life as you see fit. I support that belief 100%

Enjoy.

Peace.
No issues
Maybe one day we'll have a couple of cigars and laugh about.

Last edited:
Back