Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Road version of Moto Guzzi V85 in development

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Nov 21, 2018.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

For those who are curious... from Auto Times News

Moto Guzzi did not lose with the new Moto Tourenduro Moto Guzzi V85. The Italians created a sturdy, slightly utilitarian motorcycle that sparked heated discussion and attention from motorcyclists around the world. First of all, the development of a new engine, which will now serve as the basis for other models.

In an interview with the Italian magazine Motociclismo, the head of the development of two-wheeled products Antonio Cappellini confirmed that the manufacturer will continue to develop the model range around the new engine. Antonio also said that the road version is already in development.

No wonder, quite predictable developments. The new Moto Guzzi engine easily passes the Euro4 standard and will be able to pass the Euro5 tests. The power unit produces 80 hp. Not the highest rate, but the Italian manufacturer does not participate in the battle of performance, relying on other things.

It is difficult to say what the next model will be, so just wait for the latest rumors and news.

In Europe, the new Moto Guzzi V85 TT will cost 11,500 euros. Available in February 2019.

2. Faisal

Faisal Cruisin' Guzzisti

V7 with that engine? I don't want to sell my V7...

Poppe likes this.
  3. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

A big brother to the Racer would be great. Although I'm pretty happy with what I have... :D

4. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Interesting, I remember seeing a small note on the Moto Guzzi Clan website in about July or August that they were introducing a road bike based on the V85 engine at ECIMA this year, but very shorty after the note was removed and they did not introduce it.

I hope that means they are far alone in the development cycle, but just weren't quite ready yet. We'll see.

Poppe and Faisal like this.
  5. Vee Too

Vee Too Just got it firing!

I have seen this "photoshop lash-up" which does look rather good, even though its mirror imaged and backwards.

[​IMG]

6. GT-Rx®

I’ve seen that one too. I don’t care for it. I sure hope they just stick it in the V7 platform with updated wider 17” wheels. It’s what they should’ve done with the V9 IMO.

Stradagene likes this.
  7. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Since they are hell-bent on reviving the brand in the wrong direction, and the bikes having as much soul as an SV650, I am surprised they didn't use 16" wheels. But on the upside: by the looks of it this one comes with the revolutionary right to left transverse cross over shaft drive unit as opposed to possibly using the Carc drive that I always suspected of actually housing a chain. An engineering feat on par with the 500cc V8. Impressive :)
    Can't wait to see the dyno numbers.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  8. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I agree. That looks terrible.

I'm very curious what they come up with. As mentioned in the rideapart (https://www.rideapart.com/articles/276810/moto-guzzi-v85-new-model/) article on the topic, my hope would be that they come out with a small lightweight MG naked along the lines of the Ducati Monster - something with 16" wheels. If MG is looking to broaden their market share they should think about this. Everybody (inexplicably) LOVES the Monster. [I mean, it's OK...], but this is a segment that MG could expand into, rather than trying to appeal to the same crowd that already has an MG bike. There just isn't the depth in that segment to support another sports-tourer, à la, BMW R series... if they are looking to expand their appeal.

Even I would buy a V85, 80 h.p., MG version* of a Ducati Monster!

*(assuming they didn't piggly it out but kept it lightweight, hight power to weight, short wheel base and crisp handling)

9. GT-Rx®

Assume you mean 17" wheels... and everyone shouldn't get too excited about this magic 80 hp number. The last gen hemi 1100-2V motor made 61 rwhp stock; https://archive.guzzitech.com/EVPower-MaxDyno.html -- and the 1200-2V made 71 rwhp; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-modded-1200-sport-2v-dyno-run.5830/
    If we see anywhere near ~65 at the tire, I'll be quite impressed.
    Chris, you have the best out there with your 820 Quattrovalvole with ~60 rwhp. ;)

Stradagene likes this.
  10. Stradagene

Perhaps you mean that the GT-Rx 820-4V kit is pure magic?!?? Because it is!! ;) :) :nod:
    BUT in addition to having the GT 820-QV engine, my bike has pretty much the full GT treatment, which really brings it all together...
    (I should really buy a GoPro to capture some footage of what this bike is capable and why it is so enjoyable!!)

I think my comments were more along the lines of 'MG might consider putting the V85 engine in a shorter wheelbase lightweight minimalistic naked bike if they want to expand their market share'. Even my V7R 820-QV, as a V7, is a longer wheel base platform.

MG might open up an entirely new audience by building a bike with the V85 engine that had Monster-like architecture powered with the much more charming and charismatic MG engine.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  11. GT-Rx®

Yes indeed! Too bad hardly anyone took advantage of my offerings. Long over now.
    The engine/trans layout controls the wheelbase, and they tried that tall/short on the V11 Spine series... which is mediocre at best. Long and low is where it’s at. Wait until you ride a GTM build. ;)

12. Godfrey

I like the looks of the Photoshop Prototype and hope that they come out with something like that, as long as it doesn't get too heavy. One on the things I most like about the V7III Racer is its small, light, low feel.

Wheelbase ... heh! To me, Racer feels short and quick. My old Ducati 750GTs and the Guzzi LeMans V were much longer wheelbase, stable as freight trains. But I'm an old fahrt nowadays, all that zooty super-short, high, modern stuff is more than I want to deal with anymore. And it just isn't very pretty like Racer is. :D

13. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm looking forward to what comes out of this, seems t me it shouldn't be a difficult task. My V7 Special does all I ask of it so I see no need to make a change and there are other bikes in the garage that satisfy every itch.

Paul

Stradagene likes this.
  14. Stradagene

Ah! And this is exactly the point that I was making. If Moto Guzzi wants to expand their market range they could make a bike that satisfies one of those 'itches' and, instead of having a non-MG bike in your garage to 'satisfy that itch', it might instead be filled by another Moto Guzzi - something along the lines of the hypothetical MG that I was describing.

If MG builds another V7 platform/V7 style bike with the V85 engine, some current owners might exchange their current bike for a new one, but this doesn't recruit new buyers. On the other hand MG might attract a segment of buyers that are more interested in a Monster style bike with an offering along the lines of what I am pitching, and if this is the niche that one of your other (non-MG) bikes currently fills, if you were to buy a new MG to fill that niche, then they have expanded their market share with such an offering.

For instance, I don't want/need another V7 in the stable (probably a sentiment shared by many owners), but I would be totally thrilled to add an MG made Monster style bike.

roadscum likes this.
  15. GT-Rx®

16. Yodastien

Yodastien Tuned and Synch'ed

I would be happy if they would place something performance wise in between their sister company's Tuono and Shiver the Tuono is a great power house but its a bit much where as the shiver is a bit heavy for the power output. Even if they only shave weight from the of road bits and large tank it could be a nice bike for a sporting weekend.

17. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

The best thing Guzzi could do to strengthen the brand and broaden there market is to improve customer support and expand the dealer net work. Many of my friends, riding buddies, and acquaintances like the Guzzi's I've had but won't make the leap because of the weak support/lack of dealers. With my mix, BMW, Indian, Vespa, Guzzi I'm hedging my bet and not reliant on a single marque. That's just how I roll.

Paul

lucydad and Poppe like this.
  18. Godfrey

roadscum likes this.
  19. Joerg Stoeckner

Joerg Stoeckner Tuned and Synch'ed

Le Mans Mark 1 !!!
    That's just the look I'd want.

Hippo-Drones, OregonAl and Poppe like this.
  20. Michael Boeglin

Michael Boeglin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I would love to see a road-going V85, but I would even MORE love to see a next-gen Griso even if it were to be water-cooled.

Hippo-Drones likes this.