• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Swingarm bearings.

I’m pretty close to pulling it off. My castle nut was hand tight. I’m assuming you put a metric socket head here and bring the shaft towards me on shifter side. only way it can go. what size is that 15mm socket head?
I’ll have to get one from work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
If the castle nut was that loose, carefully inspect the bearings for damage. Without adequate pre-load they may have pounded causing damage to the race and bearing. Do you have the correct socket for the castle nut load adjuster? I don't remember what size the Allen is, I just use the one from my tool box that fits.

If the castle nut was that loose, carefully inspect the bearings for damage. Without adequate pre-load they may have pounded causing damage to the race and bearing. Do you have the correct socket for the castle nut load adjuster? I don't remember what size the Allen is, I just use the one from my tool box that fits.
yes i have the castle nut socket. so once you have allen head that size you just turn shaft and pull out. the shaft does turn a a bit then stops

anybody know the size of the socket head to fit the swingarm bearings shaft. I'm going to have to buy one. not the castle nut socket. shaft socket/allen

Attachments

• IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
this thread has lots of great info. now, it's makes sense

John/Scott, if the castlenut was hand tight, why do the paint alignment marks line up? obviously, this is the first time these bearings have been checked. a anomaly?

Attachments

• IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
John/Scott, if the castlenut was hand tight, why do the paint alignment marks line up? obviously, this is the first time these bearings have been checked. a anomaly?
Assembled after Chianti break. Seriously, if the bearings weren't fully seated when torqued (it is only 10 Nm) it is possible the tension slacked off as the bearing seated over time from use.

I agree with John. Given the time and mileage, it's just loosened up and nobody ever bothered to check it.

As is the case that I see all the time, many motorcycles never ever get routine maintenance nor see the top of a motorcycle lift other than the first time they we PDI'd before delivery.

So many people either don't understand that preventative maintenance and routine service and checking, prevents issues like this from going undiscovered.

I'll bet many of the members here, haven't taken their bike to a mechanic ever, or maybe once. In that case, I always like to ask people when the last end to end inspection was performed by them. Every winter, and summer too, I throw every single motorcycle of mine up on a lift, and I start at the front and work my way back, checking everything visually and by using my hands and fingers to touch, twist, poke and prod.

Just last week, I discovered a major frame bolt on my Piaggio scooter, up under the front axle, which had backed out halfway. Granted there were 2 bolts side by side, but 1 was completely loose. Not anymore. It was discovered, and rectified but if I didn't take the time to do these annual or twice a year inspections, then this might have ended up very badly. I avoid that at all costs.

Always remember, these are machines, and there are two schools of thought to machines. The first and the one I recommend it that machines like to be inspected, cleaned, lubricated, and checked over. It is always cheaper and more efficient to discover and intercept small problems before they manifest into real issues.

The second school of (non)thought is "maintenance by crisis" where people just hammer the hell out of their equipment until the time that it fails and only then, do they actually invest and time or money in repairs and service. I think that this philosophy is just utter lunacy.

If the 2 pinch bolts were tight and marks line up, it was set up that way in Italy. Yours might even have grease in it.

If the 2 pinch bolts were tight and marks line up, it was set up that way in Italy. Yours might even have grease in it.
Every one I've worked on had very little grease in them. One had so little grease the bearings and races rusted. Apparently a cost cutting measure.;)

will I got a 14 mm allen head socket and removed shaft. amazingly it had a tad of grease not much but enough. the race looks and feels good too. anything in particular I need to lock for?

Attachments

• 20221104_132308_HDR.jpg
    20221104_132308_HDR.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221104_132516_HDR.jpg
    20221104_132516_HDR.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221104_132527_HDR.jpg
    20221104_132527_HDR.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221104_132609.jpg
    20221104_132609.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 16
Clean & repack, do up the shock linkage. Everyone I have seen are dry dirt, don't loose any needle bearings, use a pan. Just make sure the inner seals are doing their job on swingarm pivot shaft.

Clean & repack, do up the shock linkage. Everyone I have seen are dry dirt, don't loose any needle bearings, use a pan. Just make sure the inner seals are doing their job on swingarm pivot shaft.
will do Steve. does any body know the torque for the swingarm shaft?

Back