• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

U.S. Relay to the Rally 2009

Great job and pictures guys!
Any ideas on the itinerary or is this basically a pot-luck deal? Is there a google map like last year somewhere?
Again, I'm available for pick-up or hand-off from Northern VA, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Southern NY.

Lemme know.

Nick

moto-guzzi at comcast dot net

I second Nick's words above! Well done!

Nick, no Google map this year for sign ups, but did you like the progress map with the pins and photos last year? I can probably put that in place pretty easily.

Also, I can't take full credit for the Relay as Alex M. Founded the idea. I just performed the execution, though now it's solely in my lap. ;)

Nick/All, best to just chat here about who can move it the quickest. It should be well into the Central U.S. by mid-April.

I just updated the http://NationalGuzziRelay.com website just now, and also added was the Google Progress Map (link HERE too). Sign in info is the same as the Picasa upload to update the map... and please do, as it makes a *TON* of work for me if you don't. ;)

The baton is in Helen Georgia tonight. Russ rode up in the downpour to the dealer in Fairburn.
We plan to head to the top of Brasstown Bald in the morning. (highest point in GA)
Then we head east toward South Carolina to hopefully meet up with Screamday.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
The baton is in Helen Georgia tonight. Russ rode up in the downpour to the dealer in Fairburn.
Great, thanks Wayne. Can you update the map, or do you want me to? Any photos so far?
Russ, I'll send some nice weather your way to dry you out... thanks a ton!

Ok, I'm leaving in about 15 minutes to meet the Georgia caravan sometime this early afternoon. I still need a direction to go from SC. My opportunities are pretty limited to Tuesday or Wednesday next week at the earliest and maybe Friday at the latest. If I don't hear from anybody before Wednesday than I will probably take the baton to one of the NC Guzzi dealers and drop it off for pick-up.

Maybe someone in the eastern TN area can take the baton.

Let me know.

Just got in from some wet and cold riding, even a bit of snow.

Once I get things organized I will post more details.

The package has arrived in West Columbia, SC. Where to next??

IMG_0013.jpg

Wayne Orwig wrote:
Just got in from some wet and cold riding, even a bit of snow.
Brrrr... is that frost or snow?

Reminds me of my '93 trip down the BRP in early June... in snow!

Look forward to your words/pics. Let me know if you need help uploading the photos or updating the map.

screamday wrote:
So, where would you like to go? I have messages into most of the MGNOC State Reps as of last night. Only heard from two (Oklahoma and Nor Cal) so far. Perhaps contact the N.C. reps direct: Barbara Nowell / Mark Tenney - barmar at mindspring.com or whichever state you'd like to head towards... or perhaps someone here will speak up. Where's Hagan been?

Photos and map pin (hopefully) at http://www.nationalguzzirelay.com/

On the 28th I headed south to Fairburn. Russ rode up from Macon in the heavy rain. We waited around there for a while to see if any one else would show up. It was the dealer's (Scooter Superstore) first open house. There were a number of Piaggio and Guzzi reps there and they took a number of photos. Steve Kames was there but had to work the open house and couldn't ride.
Russ wanted to carry it to Mount Mitchell, highest point east of the Mississippi (and maybe 5 hours there and 4 or so back). I talked him into Brasstown bald, highest point in Georgia. We stopped off in Atlanta at Bill's Garagemahal for a short while(his bikes were clean and dry), then stopped off and picked up Vicky, and headed north. We stopped for the night in Helen, a faux Bavarian village. Good place for beer and bratwurst.
The rain stopped during the night, but the temperature dropped from 60F to 40F. We headed to Brasstown Bald and the Stelvio was flashing a little snowfake on the dash when we got to the parking lot. We hiked to the top and it was spitting a bit of snow and everything was frozen.
Then we turned southeast and headed to Lake Hartwell where we met 'Screamday' for the hand off to South Carolina. We saw the sun twice and the temps reached about 49F. Vicky wasn't happy. :S

HO3_GA_WORH.jpg

http://nationalguzzirelay.com/

Follow the link above to view pictures of the baton relay to date. It's been fun despite the rain, cold, and high winds at times. I hope the baton makes it through most of the states, and I urge everyone to participate. I'm still sulking about not getting to take it up to Mt. Mitchell - maybe next year:unsure:

Todd, I just wanted to add a note that the reps from Piaggio/Moto Guzzi were very impressed with the commitment and dedication of Wayne & Russ in running the baton in the rough weather they experienced.

The reps took the opportunity to take a few PR photos w/ the baton which could be published somewhere, maybe in a corporate newsletter they publish.

RacerX wrote:
screamday wrote:
So, where would you like to go? I have messages into most of the MGNOC State Reps as of last night. Only heard from two (Oklahoma and Nor Cal) so far. Perhaps contact the N.C. reps direct: Barbara Nowell / Mark Tenney - barmar at mindspring.com or whichever state you'd like to head towards... or perhaps someone here will speak up. Where's Hagan been?

For now the best direction would be either North or North East. I have a small window of opportunity to move it this week. After that...well there is no after that as I will be out of town for a while. I will try to contact jerryd who is on the east coast of NC. He expressed an interest earlier to carry it up the east coast. If someone in Eastern Tennessee is interested I could meet them somewhere between there and Columbia, SC. Plenty of mountain roads in that area. :)

Only a couple of days before a decision will have to be made.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
RacerX wrote:
screamday wrote:
Where's Hagan been?

There was a chance of rain. :lol:

Actually, Bill may be headed to Virginia on the Norge next weekend. Maybe he could move it along.

Unless there is rain of course. :laugh:

Guilty, Your Honor, on the rain, but I also had and have too many tasks at home, including going away for two weeks this weekend.

BTW, I have quite a few pix of Russ and Wayne stopping by the GarageMahalo on Saturday; yikes, they were wet. I'll post when I can.

Of greater (possible) importance is helping the sacred relic up north. So, I post a summary of my intended route now.

The short version is that Kathi and I are going to ride to Virginia (yes, visiting grandbabies again), starting out Saturday, 4 April.

The plan is to get an early start (and that part usually fails), and meander up through the mountains (Clayton, Sylva, Hot Springs, etc.) to a probable overnight in or near Abingdon, Va.

Weather is looking good now, but could be gorgeous or a repeat of this weekend (yikes), as spring riding is a crap shoot.

Hoping to take our time the next day or so, mostly on SR 42, which more or less parallels I-81 several miles to the west. If you've been on it, you remember it. Gorgeous.

Expect to get to Great Falls or Alexandria via Front Royal on Sunday evening.

I'm actually leaving the Norge in Virginia and flying back on 8 April, then flying back to ride it home the following week. Long story. :)

Anyway, if that routing helps anyone in a hand-off, post here or contact me directly.

Bill
wrhagan at earthlink.net
404.808.8486 (M)

Well Bill, if no one else responds before then I could meet you in the mountains somewhere in NC and let you move the package North.

screamday wrote:
Well Bill, if no one else responds before then I could meet you in the mountains somewhere in NC and let you move the package North.

Works for me.

Will see who else wants to play or desires to get it further east than I'll be until I get to metro-D.C.

If just us, we can coordinate as date nears. Haven't looked (closely) at map and don't want to wear you out meeting up, but Cashiers? Other?

Bill

Nick wrote:
Great job and pictures guys!
Any ideas on the itinerary or is this basically a pot-luck deal? Is there a google map like last year somewhere?
Again, I'm available for pick-up or hand-off from Northern VA, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Southern NY.

Lemme know.

Nick

moto-guzzi at comcast dot net

Bill Hagan wrote:
screamday wrote:

Works for me.

Will see who else wants to play or desires to get it further east than I'll be until I get to metro-D.C.

If just us, we can coordinate as date nears. Haven't looked (closely) at map and don't want to wear you out meeting up, but Cashiers? Other?

Bill

Don't want to intrude but this looks like a possibility ? No ?

Back