• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V50 mk2 Running on 1 cylinder Please help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you are flooding out the right side. Check that needles, atomizers, jets, and float levels are the same in both carbs. Also possible you have an air passage blocked on the right side. Once both are the same and all passages are clear try a new plug and see what happens.
Cool, also thought it was flooding but wont my plug be wet if it was flooding? Can you or someone possibly give me some guidance to reseting the carbs example turning in all mixture screws and turning them out a certain amount etc..? What is the baseline to start with these carbs? And float heights please? Also where should i start with needle positions?

Yes the V50II does have electronic ignition. It is well covered in the manual in the downloads section. Timing can be adjusted if it is off.

Have you checked the choke plunger is returning properly, there should be some free play when the choke lever is returned.

In a pinch , float levels( on carbs with floats perpendicular to the throttle bodies , like yours) if you remove
the carb and rotate the carb until the float presses on the float needle just until it stops moving , what you want
to see , is the tang that connects the two floats is basically parallel to the gasket body of the carb . If you can remove
both at the same time , you may notice a difference between the good running side vs the bad side . If not precise ,
at least it should give you a good source of reference . Good luck and thanks for getting back with the compression
settings :) . Peter

Well, just so you know, level is 23.5-24.5mm on both VHBT & PHBH whichever you have. AND mix screw is 1 1/2 turns out or thereabouts. Good Luck.

So basically this is the 3rd set of brand new plugs and i have swapped them multiple times same prob, spark seems to be very strong when i test it by earthing to the bike.. it sparks better then my 02 Yamaha R1 :D ... And my CDI system is not new i believe the electronic ignition is standard on the MKII Guzzi? Everything on this bike is stock and OEM except the exhaust, Hooter and the New aftermarket coils i bought. I have no idea if the pickup has any adjustments i actually dont think so because a while ago i actually thought the bike had points ignition this was before i started to scratch around to try and get it running.
Sounds like the electronic pickups have not been adjusted. If you say it's stock I suggest checking the timing and adjusting the pickup for that cylinder, which is likely to be off. You will need a special tool to get the rotor off if the pickup needs to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Sounds like the electronic pickups have not been adjusted. If you say it's stock I suggest checking the timing and adjusting the pickup for that cylinder, which is likely to be off. You will need a special tool to get the stator of if the pickup needs to be adjusted.
I think you mean to get the rotor off. You need to put that hard pin under the screw to get it off the tapered end of the crankshaft. A standard bolt cut off is too soft and may bend leaving you with a mess. The stator is just standard Allen screws.

I think you mean to get the rotor off. You need to put that hard pin under the screw to get it off the tapered end of the crankshaft. A standard bolt cut off is too soft and may bend leaving you with a mess. The stator is just standard Allen screws.
Corrected, thanks John!

I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be rude or mean or harsh but seriously.

You have been told repeatedly about this is in the service manual which is available in the DOWNLOADS section.

A 10 second Google also finds this manual in many different locations around the world.

manualslib.com/download/952135/Moto-Guzzi-V-35.html

Page 50 is the carburetor section

Download it. Read it and learn please. Then, when you get stuck, ask intelligent and thoughtful questions instead of this shotgun method.

You have been told repeatedly about this is in the service manual which is available in the DOWNLOADS section.

A 10 second Google also finds this manual in many different locations around the world.

Download it. Read it and learn please. Then, when you get stuck, ask intelligent and thoughtful questions instead of this shotgun method.
Rude to who? Who are you talking to?

Hey man why so sour? I i do have the manual printed next to me, if you read my post correctly i said the bike has been completely restored to the T according to the manual and now i have this issue so how is going back to it going to fix my problem? Thats why i came here to ask for advice.

Please…

My name is not “man”. It’s Scott.

I am a professional mechanic and an expert at carburetors and I’ve been trying to help you but you just ignore what I have told you.

I’m not sour, I’m getting irritated at your obstinate laziness. However, I will try again to get through to you.

You’re not “asking for advice”. You’re asking for information you have right in front of your own eyes!

Literally every specification for setup is written right there. You are obviously refusing to read.

Yet you ask for the information again and again!

“Can someone give me the float levels and idle/mix screws adjustments please”

“Can you or someone possibly give me some guidance to reseting the carbs example turning in all mixture screws and turning them out a certain amount etc..? What is the baseline to start with these carbs? And float heights please?”

It’s RIGHT THERE! :banghead:

Idle screw opening = 1 1/2 turns

Taper Needle = E 2 (2nd notch)

Float Height = 23.5mm

You are being dense as lead here and it’s exasperating.

You have been told repeatedly that in an otherwise competent engine, there are only 2 components needed to operate, fuel and spark. You’ve verified competence in the engine with your compression test, so…here we go again…

If you have spark, then you have no fuel.

Your bone dry plug CONFIRMS this. Did you get down and smell the exhaust like I wrote? Nope. However it would also confirm fuel starvation as well.

Bottom Line: You didn’t properly disassemble and clean the carburetor parts and/or internal passageways.

Spraying a can of carburetor cleaner on it, is not going to get the carburetors clean.

Take the carbs out. They need to be soaked in a solvent bath, preferably electrostatic cleaning. Most likely an internal passageway is plugged.

Take every brass jet and put it in a dish of white vinegar with a little salt added. Soak them for a half hour and toothbrush them completely clean. Use a fine wire to ensure the jets are clean.

As you disassemble, use a magnifying glass and confirm your component orifice sizes stamped on them to the specifications in your manual.

The internal passageways of the carburetor body itself, are most likely blocked, which is why I said that the carburetor bodies need to be put into an electrostatic cleaning chamber and allowed to vibrate for an hour or so to loosen and dissolve the contamination inside.

Once again, this is the answer but I am not sure you will hear it again.

Hopefully you can hear and understand me now. This will solve your problem.

I know that removing the carbs and taking them back apart is not what you want to hear or do, but there is no other way to fix this fuel starvation.

Only you can actually do the work for yourself.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!

911B8338 DAB0 4DA1 B97C 59484754CAA2

Last edited:
In case it helps I just had same problem on a V65 Florida I've restored. Initially the Motoplat pick up & CDI had failed on LHS so NO SPARK (LHS worked if I switched pick up wiring & CDI across). New pick up (easy to fit, one place to position it & no adjustment possible) & new CDI (new one from china) & then spark on both sides.....LHS still wouldn't fire.

Looking at plugs is key as LHS plug was DRY as a bone - until you've got two WET & SPARKING plugs I wouldn't look elsewhere. Opened up the carb & cleaned a load of gum from the main jet, refitted & still DRY plug; removed again & cleaned more gum from main jet & idle jet, refitted and still DRY ----- the gum keeps getting lifted off the internal surfaces & blocking jets so should have cleaned ultrasonic/properly. Fitted a clean spare float bowl & jets....fired up fine -

Please…

I am a professional mechanic and an expert at carburetors and I’ve been trying to help you but you just ignore what I have told you.

I’m not sour, I’m getting irritated at your obstinate laziness. However, I will try again to get through to you.

You’re not “asking for advice”. You’re asking for information you have right in front of your own eyes!

Literally every specification for setup is written right there. You are obviously refusing to read.

“Can you or someone possibly give me some guidance to reseting the carbs example turning in all mixture screws and turning them out a certain amount etc..? What is the baseline to start with these carbs? And float heights please?”

Float Height = 23.5mm

You have been told repeatedly that in an otherwise competent engine, there are only 2 components needed to operate, fuel and spark. You’ve verified competence in the engine with your compression test, so…here we go again…

Your bone dry plug CONFIRMS this. Did you get down and smell the exhaust like I wrote? Nope. However it would also confirm fuel starvation as well.

Bottom Line: You didn’t properly disassemble and clean the carburetor parts and/or internal passageways.

Spraying a can of carburetor cleaner on it, is not going to get the carburetors clean.

Take the carbs out. They need to be soaked in a solvent bath, preferably electrostatic cleaning. Most likely an internal passageway is plugged.

Take every brass jet and put it in a dish of white vinegar with a little salt added. Soak them for a half hour and toothbrush them completely clean. Use a fine wire to ensure the jets are clean.

As you disassemble, use a magnifying glass and confirm your component orifice sizes stamped on them to the specifications in your manual.

The internal passageways of the carburetor body itself, are most likely blocked, which is why I said that the carburetor bodies need to be put into an electrostatic cleaning chamber and allowed to vibrate for an hour or so to loosen and dissolve the contamination inside.

I know that removing the carbs and taking them back apart is not what you want to hear or do, but there is no other way to fix this fuel starvation.

View attachment 26774
At least your response is not lost on other members of the forum. I may contact you for (paid) help regarding a Le mans IV carb leaking.

Please…

Float Height = 23.5mm

View attachment 26774
Ok "Scott", Please understand that i am not a Mechanic and i do have a full time job so i am not "lazy" i just cant spend 9 Hours a day figuring out whats wrong with my bike like you and also dont have the knowledge you have as a Mechanic. I think we started off on the wrong foot here. I will strip my carbs tonight and post some pics. The carbs has be chemically cleaned etc when the bike was restored.

And me referring to someone as "Man" is not rude or disrespectful it's actually a sign of respect in my country if you dont know someone you dont call them by name here..

But i do appreciate the replies Scott thanks i will keep you updated

Please…

Float Height = 23.5mm

Oh and i did smell the linked exhaust which smells exactly the same as expected?

In case it helps I just had same problem on a V65 Florida I've restored. Initially the Motoplat pick up & CDI had failed on LHS so NO SPARK (LHS worked if I switched pick up wiring & CDI across). New pick up (easy to fit, one place to position it & no adjustment possible) & new CDI (new one from china) & then spark on both sides.....LHS still wouldn't fire.

Looking at plugs is key as LHS plug was DRY as a bone - until you've got two WET & SPARKING plugs I wouldn't look elsewhere. Opened up the carb & cleaned a load of gum from the main jet, refitted & still DRY plug; removed again & cleaned more gum from main jet & idle jet, refitted and still DRY ----- the gum keeps getting lifted off the internal surfaces & blocking jets so should have cleaned ultrasonic/properly. Fitted a clean spare float bowl & jets....fired up fine -
For what it's worth, that's a different bike. Electronic pickups on (stock) V50ii need to be adjusted. Specs/tolerances in the manual...

Hey man why so sour? I i do have the manual printed next to me, if you read my post correctly i said the bike has been completely restored to the T according to the manual and now i have this issue so how is going back to it going to fix my problem? Thats why i came here to ask for advice.
I wouldn't take it personally, Dronk. Scott has a habit of voicing his frustration on new people. I've been here just a few years and I've seen it multiple times. It's not personal, it's more "categorical". Scott does this FOR A LIVING and gets frustrated when discussing repairs/maint with people who DON'T DO THIS FOR A LIVING. I guess you will have to decide if the advice is good enough to take the abuse.

So far in this thread we've established you've adjusted the carbs half a dozen times (or more), switched the CDI boxes and plugs multiple times, you have spark, you have good/even compression, you have fuel in both cylinders, yet you haven't confirmed the timing as far as I can tell. Hopefully you can source a timing light. I'm curious to hear what you find.

Ok "Scott", Please understand that i am not a Mechanic and i do have a full time job so i am not "lazy" i just cant spend 9 Hours a day figuring out whats wrong with my bike like you and also dont have the knowledge you have as a Mechanic. I think we started off on the wrong foot here. I will strip my carbs tonight and post some pics. The carbs has be chemically cleaned etc when the bike was restored.

And me referring to someone as "Man" is not rude or disrespectful it's actually a sign of respect in my country if you dont know someone you dont call them by name here..

But i do appreciate the replies Scott thanks i will keep you updated

I do understand.

I genuinely am trying to help you. Relax, take a deep breath, and know that nothing will bring me greater satisfaction and joy, than if we can get you out of the weeds here. 😀👌👍🙏

Contrary to Skivo’s claims, I am not voicing my frustration at new people (like you) and most certainly it isn’t “categorical”.

I tried the soft approach “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be rude or mean or harsh but seriously…” but that got nowhere at all.

You continued to ask for information which you yourself said you had in front of you! How could this be? If you had the information right there, then why would you be asking for that information? I found this perplexing.

Look, yes, I do this for a living. Hence, I listen very carefully to what people say so that I can fix their motorcycles for them as quickly and efficiently as I can which is precisely what I am trying to do here for you.

Again, contrary to Skivo’s claims, I’m not “abusing” you or anybody else here. There have been some “Come to Jesus” moments, of which this is one, where I had to get the attention of the original poster because they were thrashing in the water like a drowning man. Then, the poster stopped, listened, followed my logic and instructions and miracle of miracle, the bike was fixed almost immediately.

Although he’s been here 2 years, I don’t believe you will find a single thread of Skivo’s here, (they are searchable if you click his username anyplace here) where he has invested any time in helping somebody diagnose and repair their problem. Enough said about that…

I’ve carefully reviewed what you have written.

I follow the principle of “all things being equal, the simplest answer is usually correct”.

To run, you need:

1. A competent cylinder. YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED THIS. Thank you.

2. Spark. YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED THIS. Thank you.

3. Fuel. To the best of my ability and understanding, I cannot find where you state categorically that you found this to be functioning properly on both sides.

Skivo says he thinks it is your pickups. It’s a possibility but I feel that it is probably unlikely but worthy of consideration later perhaps if fueling checks out. The reason I say this is where you wrote this:

“so i put in the brand new plugs and bike started up with one pop on the right side but after that it seemed fine reved up so good maaaan i was excited AF so i got ready for a test ride and i hopped on and it took about 2 blocks of riding say roughly 400m and got to a robot (yes we call a traffic light a robot is SA) and it went back to running on the one cylinder…”

If your timing or pickups were screwed up, as Skivo thinks, how could you possibly explain this behavior?

The motorcycle with messed up pickups and screwed up timing, magically all of a sudden, runs fine, then like a fart in the wind, it disappears into chaos again? Somebody explain to me how this feat of magic could occur because I cannot explain it except in one term, fuel starvation, not timing or ignition. I could be wrong but I don’t see it. I’m just a man and not a superhero or god, so I cannot be 100% sure but I feel pretty confident that the facts support my conclusions.

Only you can decide.

Carburetors can be exceptionally cantankerous sons of bitches sometimes.

We can disassemble them and clean them and put them back together thinking we did everything correctly and god damn it, the thing won’t work!

Trust me, I feel your frustration and completely understand.

I’ve been there and in fact, today, in a few hours, I have to deal with this exact same issue on a very complex Honda V45 Magna, 4 carburetor setup which I will be taking out for the 3rd time. (Photos at bottom). This setup is 1000x more complicated than what you have there but the PRINCIPLE of carburetor operation, is the same and the cause of my running issues is also the same as yours in my estimation. The difference here is that I only have your words to go on with regard to your specific situation. No “hands on” is possible.

Same exact situation as yours. Ran fine, gave to customer, sat for winter, wouldn’t run, cleaned again, ran fine, then, wouldn’t run again…Believe me, I feel your pain! Really I do. This is why I am trying to help you!

In my case, the motorcycle owner had put a green chemical inside the fuel tank that literally destroyed the zinc coating inside the tank and caused superfine metal particles to bind to the brass jets and atomizers and also go all into the passageways of the carbs (yes, he obviously did not use a fuel filter between the fuel tank and the carburetors!). I sure hope you do.

Some fine particles are again lodged in the internal passageways of one or more of the 4 carburetor bank, I’m positive.

So today, again, 8 hours of complex removal, then disassembly and meticulous cleaning and checking and then reassembly and reinstallation …ugh.

Yes, I know your frustration and pain and I hate it too! 😡

In the past where I have dealt with this kind of cuckoo behavior of the carburetor, I have invariably found it to be some small tiny debris that has lodged inside of the internal passageways of the carburetor in a location that you cannot immediately see with your naked eye.

The runs, won’t run, runs, won’t run depends if fuel and/or air can get past this blockage and in what quantity.

In your writings you allude to but I am unsure if you personally rebuilt your carburetors.

1. If you did, when you did this, did you strip the carburetor bodies completely down to the bare housing?

2. If so, how did you go about cleaning both the carburetor bodies AND the internal jets and atomizers?

3. Did you have access to compressed air to blow out the passageways of the carburetor body?

4. Have you gone and set all of the requested settings you asked about, to the factory start points? i.e. 2nd notch on the main needle, 23mm float height, 1.5 turns out from the idle needle, etc.

Lastly, I apologize that I didn't initially see it because it was within the quotation you made, but you wrote,

Oh and i did smell the linked exhaust which smells exactly the same as expected?

I wasn't completely clear what you were supposed to be smelling for.

If you have a carburetor that is functioning, but the cylinder is not firing, even in a linked exhaust, your nose would immediately detect the strong smell of raw, unburnt gasoline in the exhaust pipe. When you sniffed it, it would be quite overpowering. If you did not smell this very strong smell of unburnt gasoline, then the fuel is not moving through the carburetor on the side where it is not firing.

This also supports my initial diagnosis of fuel starvation on that carburetor.

If you wish, let’s start fresh here and follow a logical course of information collection and analysis and a proper “process of elimination”.

I’ve given you the free gift of my time and effort to help you. I ask for nothing for doing this because I genuinely want to help you.

If you don’t want my help because you feel that as Skivo says, I have “abused” you, then simply say “No Thanks, Scott” and I offer my apology that you got wounded (by my telling you that you needed to read the information you said you already had for the answers you were looking for), and I will go away and leave you in peace with no hard feelings at all and my best wishes.

Either way, I wish you success with your motorcycle.

Best wishes,

Scott

85D66F4A ACDE 4FF3 ADB8 545D909321BE 72D551C1 D4EA 4B50 ADE3 F8BF5301F77C 6F5D7FA3 3A17 4E6C AFE1 F9EAED2FAB50 2C451148 B9FD 40F0 A07A 30E242F7A9AF C3891BB8 B80D 4C3E A45C 4F5D12752A50 F389C32E B080 496A 9209 62B0A5B58516

There is a post on my Facebook webpage down the post list, that talks about some carburetors I have done last year. There are over 400 photos. You can decide for yourself if perhaps I may be reasonably qualified to give you a decent opinion.

Or maybe, Skivo is correct (NOT) and I just abuse people for my fun and jollies…
:fubar:

I’m sorry but all I can say to his slander is “What an Asshole thing to say…”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back