• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7-850 Evap and Tip Info

Okay, I am confused here. Based on the initial post and response from Todd, it sound like Todd said that on the new models it looks like Moto Guzzi finally put in a quality evap valve on and probably best to leave it or you would surely get a CEL. So, if I'm reading correctly, he advises not to do the Evap delete on the 2021 850?

Okay, I am confused here. Based on the initial post and response from Todd, it sound like Todd said that on the new models it looks like Moto Guzzi finally put in a quality evap valve on and probably best to leave it or you would surely get a CEL. So, if I'm reading correctly, he advises not to do the Evap delete on the 2021 850?
I’ve written this once before already… The Bosch valve shown is a secondary valve to the plastic tip-valve. If you remove or unplug the Bosch valve, you will get a CEL. The evap system is still an intake leak, so the fix is recommended.

My 2021 V7 850 on cold start up idle fluctuates for about 30-45 seconds then settles down after that. The clamp on the vacuum hose at the top of the intake runners had never been secured so I thought that was the problem but still the same.

Great write up. Any concerns with the tank venting into the canister that now has no exit? Or is it fine if vapors and possibly raw fuel end up in the canister indefinitely? Or am I missing something?

I like the "stock" appearance you've tried to maintain, mostly because it seems like it prevents vapors escaping but still works per the mod. The reason for my concern is my bike is kept in a garage with a gas water heater. I would prefer the tank to not freely vent into the atmosphere.

My 2021 V7 850 on cold start up idle fluctuates for about 30-45 seconds then settles down after that. The clamp on the vacuum hose at the top of the intake runners had never been secured so I thought that was the problem but still the same.
I see the same but only under certain conditions.

Waiting patiently. Sure hope the 3000 rpm torque hole is eliminated!
Yup, there are more than a few issues with the stock map. To be honest it's one of the worst stock maps of any of the bikes I've recently purchased. The stock mapping in my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 is 80% better.

Great write up. Any concerns with the tank venting into the canister that now has no exit? Or is it fine if vapors and possibly raw fuel end up in the canister indefinitely? Or am I missing something?

I like the "stock" appearance you've tried to maintain, mostly because it seems like it prevents vapors escaping but still works per the mod. The reason for my concern is my bike is kept in a garage with a gas water heater. I would prefer the tank to not freely vent into the atmosphere.

ZERO issues…as if that missing “event” never happened.

I'm new to MG, my introduction being a 2021 V7 Stone, which I've been riding for 5 months. I love the bike but my enjoyment is marred by what feels like a sudden loss of fuelling at random moments, especially when doing a steady 30-40mph. It creates a momentary lurching forwards. Is this what is referred to in this thread as hiccuping or cutout? If so, should I consider the EVAP mod? I've discussed the issue with my dealer several times, but not got anywhere with that avenue so far.

I've discussed the issue with my dealer several times, but not got anywhere with that avenue so far.

Welcome. Did you read the very first post in this thread? You will need to do some reading but yes, you can rectify your issue

The SEARCH function at the top of the page is your best friend 😀

…All this to say, my system "appears" stock, but functions per the modification. Lastly, as expected, it cured the engine “cutout” issue.

I went back and reworked my evap lines. I apologize, I think the small hose was the wrong one to cap off. Anyway, I think this approach ends up cleaner and easier in the end.

I removed the lines extending down from the electronically controlled vent valve that leads to the intake manifold and capped it on the bottom of the valve using an readily available vacuum cap sold in Auto parts stores. I then removed the other non-electrical valve from the tank vent line leaving just the line running from the tank down which terminates in a nice location.

Here's a photo that shows how it looks.

20210905_173626-1-X2.jpg
Ty danketschpel. Your picture and explanation made it seem easy enough. Gave me the motvation to finaly do it after she hesitateted to start after a short stop on a group ride today. Looking forward to testing it tomorrow:

Attachments

• E72DDE25-3AE0-4AA9-8460-1639C7F2C153.jpeg
    E72DDE25-3AE0-4AA9-8460-1639C7F2C153.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 53

I had this issue (and a common one it seems) when the ambient temperature is around 19 - 21 degrees Celsius. I removed the spring from the fuel cap to improve the ventilation, but it didn't help much with the start up idle issues. It just made me smell like I am drenched in fuel. What did help is bypassing the evap system which is something I did a few weeks back. I no longer have this issue and the bike runs great.

Wow, having read through all this Information has been tremendously helpful. Not being mechanical I truly understand the ‘why’ and the ‘how‘ for doing this work as I have experienced the same condition on my V7 850. To add, my dealer supports these fixes as well. Hats off to you all with this thread. Cheers!

My 2021 850 Special was experiencing the typical “cutout” issue we have all historically described. My Moto Guzzi dealer mechanic actually called last week and without saying the exact words, encouraged me to pursue the EVAP mod which he said came from their discussion with Italy. Finally had time to deal with mine today. I prefer to do mechanic’ing so things don’t appear like a hack job. So, for my mod, I drilled out the check valve then reinstalled. For the vacuum hose, I made a 5/16” diameter 3/8” long metal slug for a plug. Inserted the slug in the hose 1 inch above the Bosch vent valve, then reconnected that hose to vent valve and reinstalled the factory clamps. All this to say, my system "appears" stock, but functions per the modification. Lastly, as expected, it cured the engine “cutout” issue.

View attachment 24140View attachment 24141View attachment 24142View attachment 24143
Thank you, I made this modification preventively, not visible.

I'm new to MG, my introduction being a 2021 V7 Stone, which I've been riding for 5 months. I love the bike but my enjoyment is marred by what feels like a sudden loss of fuelling at random moments, especially when doing a steady 30-40mph. It creates a momentary lurching forwards. Is this what is referred to in this thread as hiccuping or cutout? If so, should I consider the EVAP mod? I've discussed the issue with my dealer several times, but not got anywhere with that avenue so far.
Thank you for asking this. This is precisely what I am experiencing and I too am trying to determine if this is the correct procedure for correcting that issue. I hope someone will post something clarifying this soon.

Thought I'd post this here in case it's relevant.

There is a Moto Guzzi Technical Update available for the V7 850 (aka E5 model):
"MOTO GUZZI TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION G_220377_TC_EN 19/04/2022"

An excerpt from the update:

"The main contents of the available update are:
1. Elimination of fuel feed fluctuations at constant speed;
2. The “Traction Control” warning light goes off at the end of the wheel radius learning phase as reported in the Use and Maintenance Manual in paragraph “MGCT system calibration procedure”;
3. Improved fuel supply both with hot and cold engines."

My V7 850 has been suffering with items 1 & 3 in particular and is due for this ECU update.

A copy of the Technical Communication is attached.
Thank you my friend.
I called the local dealer and close appointment for the update.

Just picked up my '22 V7 this week. Do you all think this is a good mod to just get out of the way immediately or should I at least wait until the bike is broken in and has the first service?

Also my bike had this diagram under the seat. I was reading this thread and was very confused about the whole thing until I found this and actually tracked the lines down. Now it all makes sense haha!

20221029 130922

This thread is excellent in describing the fix to the evap issue. There are different ways to do this as you read through.
My advice is if your bike is not experiencing this issue don’t do anything.

Just picked up my '22 V7 this week. Do you all think this is a good mod to just get out of the way immediately or should I at least wait until the bike is broken in and has the first service?
Depends on whether ya going to your dealer for service or doing it yourself. My dealer is half a day's trip away so I did my service myself. If I had plans to go to my dealer for anything I'd probably kept my Goose stock...

Back