Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. The site owner Todd had surgery on Monday, and will be very slow to respond to all inquiries, including online Store questions.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  3. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V7 II ENGINE FAILURES & CLUTCH ADJUST NOTICE!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, May 21, 2016.

1. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yup, that's typical, EU and maybe most other world markets get em before US.

That's why the EU got the mkI (1tb models) in 2012, while the US got the oddball 2012 V7C and Racer models with a 2TB motor BUT the new larger metal fuel tanks.

We didn't get the 1tb models till 2013.

MotoBug likes this.
  2. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

And, to confuse things even further, the model year can be different from the actual year it was sold: I took delivery of my (US) 2016 V7II Stone on May 8, 2015.

3. BENITO

BENITO Just got it firing!

I have not read every page of this thread, does this effect Specials or just stones? With less than 200 miles on the clock my 16 has this racket coming from the engine while in neutral which goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I have not touched the adjustment and it will not engage until the lever is about half way out which is how I got it. I thought this is a little unnerving it should be grabbing sooner but the rest of the bike is so satisfying I am only concerned about breaking it in not the clutch lever action

4. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

takes 15 minutes to read the whole thread.

Geordietrout likes this.
  5. Dardas

Dardas Just got it firing!

Don't fret. That's completely normal for a dry clutch bike, m8 (you should hear my Ducatis!!). Carry on.

The tell-tale symptom seems to be serious difficulty getting it into neutral and perhaps changing gears in general.

BENITO likes this.
  6. jpv7

jpv7 Cruisin' Guzzisti

When I picked up my red Special there was too much play in the clutch cable. After an hour's ride, I could tell it was dragging, and getting into neutral was not smooth. So I pulled over and adjusted it a bit. The next day with bike cold I adjusted to 1 to 2 mm at the lever. It has stayed there since, over 7000 mi...

Dardas likes this.
  7. Dardas

Dardas Just got it firing!

That not cool. Can't believe they (who sold it to you like that, anyhow?) let you ride off like that. Glad all is good with your bike, tho.

8. BENITO

BENITO Just got it firing!

Thank you Dadas, I have been riding BSA for years the special is my first dry clutch

9. frnco

frnco Tuned and Synch'ed

my VIN
    ZGULWUB07GM200499

2016 v7ii stone, purchased Feb 2017 – 0 miles
    problems with clutch since day 1, never been able to get to neutral smoothly
    went to dealer twice to fix the clutch never been able to fix it
    under warranty they are going to replace the engine

:rolleyes:

10. Mr Pootle

Mr Pootle Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've had no problems with my clutch, save that I find it heavy. My rides are often curtailed because my wrist is aching badly. In fact, the clutch beats the seat in shortening my rides.
    She's going in for service in a couple of days. If the clutch can't be made easier, sadly I may have consider a change of bikes.

11. Urbansherpa

Urbansherpa Just got it firing!

After picking up my 2016 V7 ii Racer 6spd yesterday in Montreal (travelled six hours to get it),
    I took the fifteen minutes to read this thread.

Now I'm wondering if mine is afflicted. Mine is VIN # ZGULWUB25GM200258

Any insight either way would alleviate my anxieties on this issue. I'd rather it happen soon, or not at all. I typically put 1500 miles on per year.

Thanks....and thanks for welcoming me to this great forum.

12. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

Have you put any Miles on it yet?

13. Urbansherpa

I have not. It was my understanding that the bike either HAS the issue of a missing thrust bearing/washer, or DOESNT...regardless of mileage.
    I am wondering if Guzzi or a third party have compiled a list of affected VIN numbers.

Why do you ask about mileage?

14. My name is Jeff

If your bike has the problem it will show up in the first couple of hundred miles.
    If the washer is missing you will have to keep on adjusting the clutch..
    My bike has been great I've done near 10,000ks and all is well..

15. Urbansherpa

Thanks Jeff, I will keep that in mind. My line of thought is that the dealer would be equally culpable if they KNEW that my new bike was missing the critical part and left me stranded far from home.
    I am plating the bike today and intend to ride the fk out of it before the snow flies here (Canada).
    I just was not sure if Moto Guzzi has released a list of VINs yet. It would make things a LOT EASIER for the buyer.
    Thanks for your response.

16. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

1. Moto Guzzi has not released a list of VINs, probably because they don't know which ones and how many.
    2. You will know if you have a problem by the time of your first service at 1000 km. The clutch will have gone out of adjustment so far that you cannot get the proper adjustment at the handlebar.
    3. No Racers have reported the problem (to this thread). Most (all?) of the reports have been Stones.
    So, quit worrying and enjoy the machine.

17. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No official list has been noted.
    I'm trying to keep a running list (first thread post of this thread) of those that are on this site, so please post if this has happened to you(!).
    I am personally handling a new one outside of the range originally noted; VIN # 200548.

18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Apparently using the last six digits of the VIN is not sufficient to identify a particular motorcycle. UrbanSherpa's Racer has the same last six digits as my Stone. The eighth and ninth characters are the model designators.

19. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, you are again ignoring my words to see the first post of this thread.
    Engine #'s would be best - not everyone knew to note them before the motors failed. The engine # on the one I have now is AN 016940 -- I'll add that to my post.
    Until a time MG issues a list or recall (never I'm sure), this is all we have. Your welcome.

20. My name is Jeff

My bike is a 2015 Stone V7II and from what I've been told there is a way of checking the end float on the crank to seen if the washer is missing.
    I'm not sure how involved this would be but I sureTodd would know.