• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio engine oil level

andrej

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am a little confused about the level of oil that should be put into the Bellagio. The manual states that you should put it up to the max point when you do not screw the dipstick in. My mechanic tells me that it is a bug in the manual and that it should be up to the max after screwing the dipstick in. Another guy that has a cali that has exactly the same sump as my Bellagio does and services it himself tells me that he just puts 3 bottles (a liter each) in there which equals to the prescribed 3 liters in the manual.

Problem is no matter which one i tried i always end up spiting quite a lot through the breather (actually through the blow-by system into the airbox and then out through the breather pipe). People keep telling me that its okay and that it will find its "natural" level eventually. So I am just riding around now leaking oil all over the place waiting for it to stop dripping. It has been almost 1000 kilometers now and it still keeps spitting quite a lot out. Is that okay or should I worry that something is wrong ? The oil that is being spit out also turned from oily brown/black into yellow/brown after about 700 kilometers .. that okay too?

Its a brand new bike (2010 Aquila Nera) with 2200 km`s on its clock so there should be no reason for it to fill the breather unless the sump is overfilled right ?

As far as running in goes in I tried not to rev it much and was trying not to run over 120km/h ... and not run @ constant speed for a long time in general. I did go to the hills and did what you recommended regarding doing a few uphill runs @ one gear lower than what I normally would. I did not carry a passenger and did not do any city riding during the run-in either. Mostly out of town rides @ around 100km/h with as many curves as possible. I had the first service done after 1250km. The mechanic told me it was definitely overfilled before and put in exactly 3 liters of oil (three bottles).

I do not exactly know what kind of oil he put in. He told me its of the same spec as the recommended one but its a semi-synthetic instead of fully synthetic. He told me he has better experience with semi`s compared to full.

Still I am kinda convinced that this has to be an overfilled sump. I am gonna keep draining the breather for now and will have the mechanic check the engine if it does not stop (or significantly slow down) before I hit the 5000km mark at which he wants to replace the engine oil again.

Hello andrej. Well now, fancy bumping into you over here!

Doncha trust your english brothers anymore? :roll:

Anyways, Pete Roper is a good ally to get, but i would take issue with him on the glazed bores etc. on this occasion and suggest he lays off adding earl grey tea bags to his mighty bong one time :mrgreen: (j/k there Pete) ;)

I picked up on the hill riding tip tho' and would like to expand on that for a moment.

It's not B.S.! the idea is to get some thrust on both piston lands and skirts (front and rear) by powereing hard up a gradient and then coming back down as fast as you can on over-run....this shoves the pistons hard against the bores:
i.e. Back face going up front face going down to bed em in nicely.
Ohh and B.T.W. The oil loss is from over-filling...Period! :)

Friction modified oils and air cooled engines are a real no-no. That's why I mentioned it.

Certainly the difference between full with the stick screwed in and just resting on the threads isn't going to be super critical but as you noted the Bellagio uses the earlier 'Cali' type sump so probably using the old formula of checking with the stick screwed in would be more sensible. The bike should be UPRIGHT rather than on the sidestand when the oil is checked. That will make more of a difference. If you want to Make it easy for yourself check the level with the stick screwed in but fill it to about a centimetre below the 'Full' mark with the bike upright. Once yu know that is right you can stick the bike on its side stand and check where the oil is on the stick and use that as your future 'Full' mark on the sidestand so you don't have to straddle the bike and lean awkwardly to check the level.

At the end of the day the engine will have 'Ample' oil in as long as you don't allow it to drop below the 'Add' mark with the stick screwed in. I'm with Finebau on this. My guess is that more than anything else it is just a mix-up with quantity. The build quality of the new bikes is very good. Having said that the bloke I had in on Saturday with a 1200 Sport had had some oil expulsion issues and he found they vanished when he went to Sin 10 from the semi-synth he was previously using and had bedded the rings more effectively by flogging the clacker off it. If there is one thing Bellagios LOVE it's having the clacker flogged off them!!!! :D

Pete

:? 5 in 10 ...Pete I have to ask, is that how the Poms would say a straight 10w50 grade ?
And thanks for the true lowdown on the right way to check the oil level.

"Floggin' the Clacker off 'em" :lol: I just love that direct terminology! They certainly do!

While for the pushrod motors it is probably 'Less essential' over the life of an engine my belief is that since the new motors tend to run hot using a decent full synth is best. On the 8V engines I think not doing so is foolhardy. Oil, even 'spensive oil,is cheaper tan an engine rebuild.

On the 'Flogging issue? the fact is the bellagio has the shortest stroke of ANY big block Guzzi ever made. Mean effecive piston speed is really low. To get the best out of them you run 'em to the limiter and then change, in every gear, if you want to make 'Rapid Progress'.

As you can tell I LOVE the Bellagio motor!!!!!

Pete

That's great. It's good to get some straight talking answers about stuff on this very under-rated but amazing bike!

I certainly do love mine too! Didja see the pic yet?..Here she is in all her glory >>>>

FBFBellagio.jpg

Check out the head protectors...Those are the DTF low profile ones i'm offering to other guys over here as they were originally custom made for the Bellagio but also suit the Breva 1100/1200's and most other square fin big block 2 valve motors.

The Bikini fairing is the Simpson Predator in carbon fibre finish with all but the airblade colour keyed in to the same coal black semi metallic finish as the gas tank and front fender.

The 75mm bar end mirrors are convex and give a wide angle rear view containing no reflections of shoulders/elbows
these are the Oberon billet ones in black and they fold right in for lane splitting (if that's allowed in the usa?)
They really unclutter that fabulous wide dragbar tiller to give her a nice clean profile.

Similarly, the billet 2way mini led indicators are an Oberon product these are the black anodized option.

A sweet lil' Road Burner indeed! :D

.... :oops: Hey sorry mods i got a tad carried away there but the oil answers were what i was really after.

Finebau said:
That's great. It's good to get some straight talking answers about stuff on this very under-rated but amazing bike!

No, you'll get the same bigotted, one eyed ranting you'll get about any other Guzzi! :lol:

They don't sell the Bellagio in the USA. General concensus seems to be that because it is 'Less than a litrebike' it wouldn't sell. That may well be so but its conspicuously insane as its looks have 'US Market' written all over them. It's a 940cc. The old 1000's were 949cc. So why don'y they just lie about those extra 9-10cc and call it a Bellagio 1000 for over there? Barking mad!

Pete

Finebau said:

Has nothing to do with trust ... i always trust everyone by default but verify nonetheless. Second opinion (or third fourth etc .. ) does not ever hurt.

I guess I will stick to what I planned and just try to find a level of oil that is okay.

Big thanks to both you ( finebau/940v ) and pete.

Brian UK said:
I don't blame you double checking, you get all sorts of rubbish spouted on that UK forum. :lol:

Blimey! we'll all be over here soon. :lol: Brian, this is the finebau persona(only) on this side of the pond. The 940V "Ogri" one stays in the box for general banter items only. :whistle:

andrej said:
Finebau said:

Has nothing to do with trust ... i always trust everyone by default but verify nonetheless. Second opinion (or third fourth etc .. ) does not ever hurt.

I guess I will stick to what I planned and just try to find a level of oil that is okay.

Big thanks to both you ( finebau/940v ) and pete.

I'm sure we'll be fine! Glad to be able to offer a small measure of assistance andrej.

You've sure done a fine job on your Bellagio, looks like she really means business.

I've tried adding 3 Litres at the 5000km oil change and 3.5 litres with a new oil filter. With the bike vertical, both bring the oil to the full mark with the stick sitting in the hole...screw it in and it shows too much. I had to be pretty careful with that because I callibrated an after market oil level stick with built in temperature guage. Before a recent long trip (5000k's in 5 days riding) I added an extra 250ml to allow for anticipated usage on the trip...no blow-by or breather problems at all....and she's still a tad on the overfilled mark. You may have other issues.

Now...could you please give me prices for the head guards and some contact details, you've made my day. I did drop my Bellagio once, was lucky not to damage the head but I did graze the rocker cover somewhat. Yours are the first I've seen that are made tto measure.

Graeme

delburnman said:
You've sure done a fine job on your Bellagio, looks like she really means business.

I've tried adding 3 Litres at the 5000km oil change and 3.5 litres with a new oil filter. With the bike vertical, both bring the oil to the full mark with the stick sitting in the hole...screw it in and it shows too much. I had to be pretty careful with that because I callibrated an after market oil level stick with built in temperature guage. Before a recent long trip (5000k's in 5 days riding) I added an extra 250ml to allow for anticipated usage on the trip...no blow-by or breather problems at all....and she's still a tad on the overfilled mark. You may have other issues.

Now...could you please give me prices for the head guards and some contact details, you've made my day. I did drop my Bellagio once, was lucky not to damage the head but I did graze the rocker cover somewhat. Yours are the first I've seen that are made tto measure.

Graeme

Hi Greeme. Thanks for the comments on "Il Capo Nero" my Black beauty as i call her. They really are a great bike aren't they!

Please take a look at the webpage link i have posted in the classified ads page of this forum and you will be able to click through to read more about the product and check out some other customers pics of their bikes fitted with these guards.

From the page, there are also links that take you to the twiggers motorcycles store pages where you can either use the on-line ordering facility or perhaps email or phone Elaine who deals with the marketing and distribution should you have any queries before you decide to buy.

Thank you for your interest in the product, and i hope to welcome you as a new customer some time in the future.

Dave

Also is it okay for the oil that comes from the breather to be totally dirty ? It is has a mustard-like yellow color.

The oil in the sump looks totally clean compared to what comes out of the breather.

andrej said:
Also is it okay for the oil that comes from the breather to be totally dirty ? It is has a mustard-like yellow color.

The oil in the sump looks totally clean compared to what comes out of the breather.

The color of the oil from the breather is caused from mixing with condensation/water. In the sump or valve covers an issue, but from the breather I wouldn't get concerned.

Did you use the one of the dipsticks with thermometer from mgcycle ? They look pretty nice. Which one fits well with the bellagio ? Is it this one http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1937 ?

Yep, thats the one! I purchased from Stein Dinse in Australia but the one in the photo is what I fitted to my Bellagio.

It adds bling, not sure if any real point in taking her temperature except initially to work out just how long she takes to warm up (about 10 km) and on really hot days (40+ C) to take comfort that temp isn't exceeding the rated value for my oil. Can't read it while riding. It adds Bling tho! :oops:

Graeme

Back