• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio engine oil level

Is the oil light flicker on the Bellaigo or a V11? I haven't heard of the problem on the Bellagio because of the location of the pick up. The V11's had a chronic problem with pick-up exposure due to the pick-up location.

As for the plate $150 + P&P will set you right.

Pete

:whistle: It's all Froth aand Bubble in the lubrication department......I knew a girl like that once! :whistle:

Very brief Flicker of oil light happens only occasionally... accelerating in 2nd or 3rd up steep dirt roads with bumps. Might be the combination of bumps and oil slop. I've slowed down on the offending section and it rarely happens now....but it's another good reason to send you a couple of days pay!

Might do the deal at the Spaghetti rally and save postage!

:whistle: It's all Froth aand Bubble in the lubrication department......I knew a girl like that once! :whistle:

Omitted......Flicker is oil light on my Bellagio...wouldn't ride anything else!

So basically nothing can go wrong because of mounting it ? Is there any disadvantage in using the plate ? Is it really fully compatible with the bellagio ?

Penrite SIN10 is not available in Europe. I have Shell 15w50 in it at the moment but I will probably replace it with the originally suggested AGIP 10w60. Either way from what I have read it does not seem like the plate can hurt so I would put it in next time I am changing oil unless there is any major disadvantage of having it in in case when it is not needed.

:whistle: It's all Froth and Bubble in he lubrication department....I knew a girl like that one! :whistle:

Is Hampshire part of Europe now? Here's the address in England. If it's staffed by Ausies I bet they bend over backward to get the right oil for your Bellagio....Penrite Sin 10 10w-70 Fully Synthetic.

European Head Office:
Penrite Oil Co. Ltd,
Heron Brook House
New Farm Road,
New Alresford.
Hampshire, SO24 9QH
E-mail: hankinjohn@hotmail.com
Tel: +44 (0)1 962732601
Fax: +44 (0)1 962732603
Help Line : 0800 9179588

delburnman said:
:whistle: It's all Froth and Bubble in he lubrication department....I knew a girl like that one! :whistle:

Is Hampshire part of Europe now? Here's the address in England. If it's staffed by Ausies I bet they bend over backward to get the right oil for your Bellagio....Penrite Sin 10 10w-70 Fully Synthetic.

Their european office supplies only oils for classic cars and motorcycles. Means they do not suply the SIN10 (10w70) because it is only intended for modern vehicles.

andrej said:
So basically nothing can go wrong because of mounting it ? Is there any disadvantage in using the plate ? Is it really fully compatible with the bellagio ?

Well, nothing can go wrng unless you're a cretin. And yes it is fully compatible with any of the big blocks with the filter in the sump.

Pete

pete roper said:
andrej said:

Well, nothing can go wrng unless you're a cretin. And yes it is fully compatible with any of the big blocks with the filter in the sump.

Pete

Okay then I guess I would be dumb not to trust someone who has been working the bikes for 30 years. Please take a look at my order that I just sent you through a personal message.

andrej said:
So far I have googled out quite a bit about Roper`s plate thingy. It seems like a pretty good idea and addresses exactly the issue we are having with the Bellagio. I sure will try it out if Pete can confirm that my engine will not explode because of using it and that it is indeed compatible with the sump used in the Bellagio. Want to jump the bandwagon and try it out too Finebau ?
Yes I do! No q's about it. This little patch of exchange has been a revelation to an old clod like me.
Thanks guy's. We now know we can get the best oil for her in from the Penrite outlet Hampshire UK and to use the baffle plate made by Pete Roper to give the 940 motor a good treat in exchange for all the fun (and oil) she's dished out for us to date.

:silly: Q? : So. What's the best order procedure? Where can i find the link to a page where i can pay? Do you do paypal orders?

Guy's I'm flying out to LA on Sunday. It's late Wednesday now and post offices aren't open on the weekend. I have a probably foolinh habit of trusting people to come good with the money so if you're genuinely interested send your addy's to me by PM and I'll get 'em shipped out tomorrow, you can pay me by paypal or just 'Later' when i get back from trying to break my pink Griso in the USA. :mrgreen:

Pete

Pete I guess we would not want to make an enemy out of a guy like you because of a few bucks right ? :p

Finebau if you do indeed find out that the Penrite stable in Hampshire does stock the SIN10 oil let me know please. Their website does not list it as available in Europe.

No need to use Penrite. I use it 'cos I can. All I'm saying is if you can't get the recommended Agip product and use another 'Similar' oil and have problems? Don't use it again. Use another 'Similar' oil. I do recommend using a high quality full ester synth though in any of the 'Modern' engines simply because they do run hot.

pete

andrej said:
Pete I guess we would not want to make an enemy out of a guy like you because of a few bucks right ? :p

Only if you're worried about getting on the wrong side of fat, unathletic, grumpy 55 year olds with the beginnings of arthritis and a bad 'Attitude'. I'm about as frightening as a bag of wet mice. :D

Pete

I was thinking more along the lines of losing a valuable ally in our quest of getting our beloved machines running smoothly :)

Pete Roper said:
fat, unathletic, grumpy 55 year old with the beginnings of arthritis and a bad 'Attitude'. I'm about as frightening as a bag of wet mice.
Typical Ausie Guzzi rider really......... :dry:

I did an 800km long ride today and when I was checking the oil level after I came back it was already on the min level on the dipstick when it was fully screwed in and the bike was standing upright.

I do not have any way to find out the exact amount that is leaking through the breather pipe (to find out if it slowed down or not), but I think it did not slow down at all. Is this enough to confirm that there is some problem other than overfilled sump and/or hard riding ?

I do not really feel too happy about riding it on the min mark especially when I know that it is still losing it and eventually will drop lower.

So could you guys somehow let me figure out what the other causes of excess blowout could be other than overfill ? I was not riding hard enough and nowhere long enough (not even 5000km yet) to justify this amount of oil blowout. It must have been over half a liter total already.

Pete Roper mentioned glazed bores and bad piston rings could be the problems? Are any of those perfectly repairable or are they enough to justify a complete engine replacement considering it is a brand new (model 2010) bike ? In case there is a problem with the bores or the rings can they be repaired to be as good as new or could any irreversible engine damage have happened already in case they were broken from new?

Is it possible that there is a problem in something else ? Like broken blow-by system or such ? I will be probably calling the service to schedule me and get a good look at it asap.

I think i will not fit the plate yet because I think that it could conceal some issue that should not be present on a brand new bike at all. I think I would rather have the mechanic try and figure out what can be done about it. If they say it is normal then I will probably visit another one and have him confirm that it indeed is normal and just then will I start experimenting to improve the situation myself (using Pete`s plate as the first try I think).

:eek: Andre,

Take the bike back from whence it came. Guzzi provides a warranty and are usually pretty good at honouring it. Give them the details and your own thoughts on the problem and take no shit.

The bike should use very little oil especially once run in.Do you leave a blue haze behind you? Remove the spark plugs, if bores are glazed or rings dodgy, spark plug will be most likely be black. Exhaust also would be black and greasy. Lambda sensor in the exhaust may be choked up also. If all is not BLACK, you have clearly have a breather problem or the wrong oil.

My Bellagio wouldn't use more than 200ml between changes (5000km) I fill mine with 3 1/2 litres (with new filter) this brings it to top mark with the stick NOT screwed in as specified in both owners and workshop manual. If you are at minimum with stick screwed in you probably have less oil than is prudent.

If the dealer you bought it from is playing drongo's, (Ausie term for idiot) then contact the Guzzi distributor and give them shit. Am sure it's fixable.

So far I have seen no evidence that there is anything *wrong* with the engine of a mechanical nature apart from perhaps a poor run in proceedure. One thing that really, really shits me to tears is people who buy something and then assume that there is a problem and start screeching 'Warranty' and 'Poor Product' when there is no real evidence that anything is wrong,

Is your bike performing poorly? Is it making horrible noises or sitting in a lake of oil every time you stop? I don't think so. But you are a mechanical novice and have made the mistake of being very gentle with the bike from new. This probably won't be much of an issue in the long term but it WILL hinder the bedding in process and until the motor is fully bedded in it WILL tend to use a bit of oil and/or pump a bit out.

Try thrashing the shitter off it for a few days! But at 5,000Kms and not having been broken in by a good thrash or two it will be nowhere near its peak sealing capacity. 1/2 a litre in 5,000Km doesn't sound excessive to me anyways.

If it was mine I'd simply run the drain hose from the airbox into a catch tank and drain off the odd few ml of oil from time to time. It may well sort itself out in another few 1000Km. Who knows?Check the oil regularly. Keep it 1/2 way between the full and add marks and go ride the bloody thing rather than constantly worrying about it. If it's going to blow up it'll do so in the warranty period and as long as it has been correctly serviced it'll be fixed. My belief though is that you're making a mountain out of a molehil....

Pete

Back