• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio engine oil level

Finebau said:
Got the sump baffle plate modded to (almost) :) Match andrej's re-cut appertures and fitted it up during the 6k service where in went a new filter and the right amount of Agip 10/60 oil.

It's about a 100 mile ride back from the dealership, and i gave her a good work out to test the results. When i first parked the bike up, the drain hose was "dribbling for england" and soon there was a sizeable pool of fresh clean oil under the bike. I cleaned it up and stuck a drip tray underneath with a layer of clean newspaper over the top to see if there anymore after an overnight drain out. Next morning, there was not a speck of oil on the paper, and since then i've put another 400 miles of mixed but mainly hard use riding on the clock with no more leakage at all!

Just want to say a big thanks to Pete for his advice and prompt service in shipping out the Moto-Aus Tonti style baffle plate, and any of you guys who are unconvinced, believe me, this solution works! B)

Well it did reduce the oil leak for me a little bit but I am still leaving loads of it on the ground. Did 7500km on it already so it should really be run in enaugh not to leak so much by now.

I guess I will have to get the mechanic to take the engine and the blow-by box apart on the 10k service if it does not improve by then.

I feel for you man, & hope it gets sorted. I've never had more that a drop of oil, if that, in over 11,000 kms - mine was run in hard.

A few things.

1.) Firstly I'm surprised that the plates are fouling anything. I've used them on numerous Racing Tonti's with no problems. It may be, (Thogh I doubt it.) that there are slight positional changes of things in the sump.

2.) If there are problems with this batch of plates re-fitting? I expect no payment BUT I would like the plates back so I can ascertain where the problem is so as I can correct it. I will then send out replacements of a different design if neccessary.

3.) As I said at first the plate sollution may not address the problem that those of you with blurty bikes are experiencing. My own opinion, for whatever its worth, is that either the wrong oil has been used or the bikes have been over-babied during break in, or a combination of the two. Add in the fact that all Guzzis like to 'Find their own level' as far as oil is concerned. To me the biggest likelyhood is that an FM type oil has been used and/or the bike was ridden too gently during it's break-in period. Yes, it is possible that there are bore or valve guide issues, but I can't see this really being an issue on many bikes as generally speaking the new ones are very well prepped and assembled.

I don't doubt for a minute that there is an *issue* here. what I'm most interested in is what is causing the issue. And of course until I see a bike that has it I'm in the doldrums.....

Pete

Well the plate completely eradicated all oil spil whatsoever for Finebau (940V). He is very happy with it. It did not help me nearly as much. For me it reduced the oil leak to approx half of what it was before but what is left is still plenty. Still lose about half a litre in 2500 km`s through the breather (was almost a litre in that period before fitting the plate). My mechanic told me he did not ever have any guzzi leaking nearly as much and he has been servicing them for quite a while.

As far as oil goes I did change to the prescribed fully synthetic Agip 10w60 during the 5000km service when I got the plate fitted so the reduction of leak could be a combination of fitting the plate and changing oil. I am on 7500 km now and have been riding it pretty hard for the last 5000km so it should have run in at least a bit by now I think. I think I will stick to what my mechanic told me. Just to ride it up until the 10k mark and watch the oil all the time. He plans to take it apart and check its insides on the 10k mark if it does not improve significantly by then. The bike has a 4 year warranty so I am pretty positive that it will get fully resolved sooner or later.

The fact is that the plate does help the Bellagio a lot and I would not hesitate to recommend it to any Bellagio owner having problems with oil in the breather. This has been pretty much confirmed by how much it helped Finebau`s bike to get right. It did also help mine but I suspect there is something else going on inside mine that has yet to get resolved (possibly just by running it).

As far as the plate modification goes I do not really plan to take it down before the 10k mark but I can send you a sketch I made of it after modifying it but before fitting it. I just have to run to the mechanic because i forgot it at his workshop when I was there. Basically the prescribed UFI filter was too big and too close to the middle of the sump to fit in the plate so the big hole had to be extended by about 5 millimeters towards the middle of the plate. The oil gauge hole had to be relocated about 2 centimeters to the right (away from the oil filter hole) in order for it to go through when fully screwed in. Since I did not invent a method to "relocate" a hole yet i just extended the old hole by about 2 centimeters away from the oil filter hole (directly towards the left edge of the plate).

I will just go fetch the sketch today. Hope he did not lose it somewhere or thrown it out with the trash.

If you eventually plan to make a batch of Bellagio specific plates I would love to have one of those :). By the way I send you a PM regarding the payment a while ago and did not get a reply yet ...

I didn't reply because I don't ask for money from people for goods that are faulty or don't work. Once we've resolved the issues of fitment I'll gouge you for every penny you've got! :mrgreen:

Pete

I will stop by @ the dealer/service to pick up the sketch on my way from work. Hope it is still there somewhere.

Sent you a link to the scanned sketch of the modified plate by PM Pete. Hope it will help.

The scan is interesting and confirmed what I'd thought looking at the earlier pic of the plate in this thread. It's been cut wrong. Yes, I should of noticed this but i've had dozens of 'em made before and they';ve all been fine. I apologise. As I said to andrej in a PM what i think occured is that the company that makes them had either lost or had somehow managed to corrupt the scan/program for the Tonti type plates and had then used the V11 plate as a template and the bigger holes got cocked up and confused.

The rectangular slot adjacent to the large orifice shouldn't be there at all. It's the hole needed on the v11 plates for the oil pressure relief valve. I'm pretty sure I've still got a couple of this batch of plates around so I'll double check over the next few days.

Don't worry. The fact that there is an extra hole won't really matter. What did concern me more was the plate was rubbing on the filter. Obviously that bit of the cutting is wrong too as I've never experienced that before! As long as the edge of the plate isn't touching the filter it will be just fine BUT it is wrong. What I'll do is get another batch of plates made correctly. After I get them I'll send them out FOC and you can then pay me and return the originals. If though you feel that the plate has been of no benefit? Simply remove it and send it back.

Pete

Did a little mod to address the oil spill issue.

Check here:
fetch.php

Back