RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Bike won’t start

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by dududuckling, Nov 12, 2018.

1. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

2017 V7 III Stone with 2100 miles.

I last rode it on Thursday and the bike wouldn’t start this morning. This morning: Turned the key to ON, kick stand off, gear in N, kill switch to ON, hit the start button and it just “click click click” with DRL flickers everytime it clicks. With the kill switch to OFF, it kept clicking and drl flickering nonstop. It only stopped after I turned the key back to OFF.

Battery - Still stock since March 2018, rode it daily and is now at 2100 miles.

Gas - Might have 1-2 gal of gas left (normally used 3-4 gal of gas every two weeks), but the gas light was not lit on Thursday.

The only thing that bothers me most is it clicks and clicks even with kill switch off. Could it be electrical or not enough gas?

Thanks in advance!

2. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

That sounds electrical. And it sounds like a weak battery. It is near impossible for it to have anything to do with how much gas is in the bike (I really think it is impossible, but I hate using absolutes).
    You should check your battery.
    I would either put your battery on a charger or replace it. I would also check your charging voltage once you do get it started. You may have a charging issue.

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I suggest you check all your battery connections and where it earths to the bike.

You could try a jumper from another battery if you suspect the battery itself is faulty.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

5. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Seriously? 2100 miles is considered good? Man, the stock battery must really be crap.

I put over 8000 KM on my 1981 Ducati in the early 1990's and never changed the battery, and over 12000 km on my 1994 KLR650 on the stock battery. Guess the new batteries these days are just junk.

6. dududuckling

7. dududuckling

Here’s a video of it. It is still clicking away even with the kill switch OFF (00:14), until I turned the key OFF.

8. GT-Rx®

Ah, so the ECU knows the engine isn't running, so it is continuing to try to engage the starter motor relay. You might want to check the cables at the battery, or best yet to know the voltage at the battery (before you buy a new battery). It might be something simple.

9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Classic low battery situation captured on your video.

dududuckling likes this.
  10. GT-Rx®

They are... I've been stating this for 2+ years, always met with similar comments. ;)
    Old lead-acid batts were good, AGMs have gotten continually worse over the last few years.

11. Mayakovski

What is the expected life span of the lithium battery (Anti-Gravity ATX12-RS) you listed in your post?

12. GT-Rx®

I have a AG lithium from 2011 in my Stelvio I've never even once put a charger on. The upside to the ATX is if you abuse it, it has a button to jump start the bike automatically. I would expect a modern lith-i to last 4-5 years (easily) or a lot more if not abused.

Mayakovski likes this.
  13. Mayakovski

Great, will be on my shopping list next year as I have about 3300 KM on the stock battery at this point.

dududuckling likes this.
  14. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

It is not miles that takes a battery out but time and lack of maintenance (occasional charging).

15. Mayakovski

So a well maintained battery, taken care of, and run daily or at minimum charged once per month (when bike is uninsured) should have a better life span. Good to know.

16. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Once a month is probably pushing your luck. My philosophy on keeping my motorcycle batteries charged is to use an ordinary (read cheap) low capacity charger on a timer, charging the battery for 15 minutes four times a day. I've had batteries last as long as twelve years using this technique. As Todd has noted, the modern ones ain't so good.

dududuckling and Mayakovski like this.
  17. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

if you bought it new this march they didn't charge it before delivering it. it should be replaced by the dealer assuming it's bad in the first place. fully charge it then take it to a auto zone etc for a load test if it fails call the dealer and by yourself a trickle charger like the battery tender.

18. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I think it is doing that because once you request a "start" it triggers a timer that keeps trying to start the motor for a preset amount of time. That is how they now have the single push to start. When I get on an older bike and hit the starter sometimes I forget and only push the button that one single time, expecting it to keep trying to start until it starts. But all I get is a short burst of starter motor and then silence. Followed by me saying "Doh!!!".

dududuckling and GT-Rx® like this.
  19. GT-Rx®

Been there, done that, same result. I even took delivery of it in the box and put it into service myself on one occasion... it lasted 4 weeks. I'm done with AGM batteries for good. Seems that if you buy a pre-charged version from Yuasa, you'll get better results... up to 2 years max.

20. dududuckling

It is the battery. I took it to O'reillys to have it checked. They charged it for 15 mins before doing load test, it simply won't retain charge.

The bike is still covered by warranty. But the closest Guzzi dealer is in Thousand Oaks, and then Orange County, and then San Diego, and I have to take time off work to drive there and back, and end up with the same battery that might go kaput in a few months.

So, I will be getting the new antigravity battery from Todd next month, then it's one less thing to worry about when riding the bike. I just hope turning on/off the bike yesterday morning did not damage any other parts like the start, relay, etc. Thanks all for the quick replies!