• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Carked CARC

Race bikes use chains because they more efficiently deliver power, not to mention the added unsprung weight. I gather shafts cost you 15-20% in lost HP at the rear wheel. On the race track, unless the thing can't last through a single race weekend, nothing else matters.

A NEW CARC

Sorry for the tardy nature of the post, the recession has bypassed us and the factory is filled to the gunwales with boxes of stuff that all have a customers' deadline attached.... late nights and weekend hours.. oh well each day is one day closer to freedom. :dry:

Anyway the news is good, I now have new CARC installed and the bike is sitting on the trailer in the driveway waiting for The Minister to get out of the shower and give a hand getting it off - hope we don't drop it off the ramp, it's a heavy sucker and there are only two of us.

Firstly as I have said before, according to my reading of the unofficial/official copy of the recall notice that I have, the VIN number of the bike is clearly within the recall range and the number on the actual CARC box was also in the range.

However, the service agent that JSG requested the bike to be taken to informed me that that was actually not the case and the bike was NOT subject to the recall, but he had asked nicely and although the waranty ran out in February, JSG had agreed to send up a new CARC FOC, and I would only have to pay $250 for install labour, consumables and freight costs.

So as I have said before IMHO Guzzi and their Oz importer are trying hard to put things right, if indeed the bike was not subject to recall and as it is out of warranty they could have justifyably refused to help, but they didn't and for that they deserve accolades.

Re:A NEW CARC

The new box has the seal protector installed that Graham mentioned, and we also have a new set of brake pads as the old ones were covered in oil.

The underneath brake line plastic retaining clip mounts are differerent, where does the middle one go? There is a hole in the casting just beside the ABS sensor mount where it went in the old one, but on this new one the hole is too small and it won't fit in.... and in fact the hole has what looks like a 5mm thread in it.

Can someone please post a pic similar to this one of their bike's CARC as there is some confusion as to how the brake line retaining clips are installed.

The clips are very easily broken. in fact they *seem* to be a 'single use' push in item that isn't supposed to be removed. Needless to say the replacement CARC's don't come with clips and no, they aren't available as a spare part either.:blink:

Whoops! Edit! They are available, they are just listed with the brake system rather than the CARC. For the princely sum of $7.42 retail!!!! Part # is AP8202238 if anyone needs it

Pete

Mike

Great news. I'm delighted for you. The NZ importer and my dealer were great too. They combined resources to fit the new bearings to my (recalled) CARC after Guzzi declined because the play "wasn't excessive."

Those hose clips are two-part items which can be separated easily to remove the hose. I do it each time I want to fit a socket onto the drain plug. If you inspect them closely you'll see a little knob on each side and engaging clips. Push one part of the clip forward and the other backwards.

Bob

Yes, I know why race bikes use chains. Efficient, relatively light, strong, easy to change gearing for each circuit.

For a road bike my preference is for an enclosed belt, but I don't know of any bike which has that. Belts are light and clean but vulnerable to stone damage. Because I ride on any surface in my way, I've gone to lot of trouble to improve the guarding on my Buell so I hope it'll be sufficient. The belts on modern Buells require no maintenance at all and are rated to last as long as the bike. I hope that doesn't mean the bike won't last long!

I must say I sit here reading this with some horror.
So Graham, they wouldn't change your cARC which they agreed was within the recall range because the play was not sufficient? Yet they insisted that all new bikes within the recall range had replacements fitted before sale!

And Mike, are you saying that the local dealer is now making the decision as to whether a CARC falls within the recall range or not? Sounds to me that since Guzzi are supplying a new unit FOC, that they accept responsibility, but like here in the UK, the dealer get's a pitance for doing the work, so they try to get you to pay for that by giving a load of BS about it not being part of the recall.

I have already been told by my local dealer that he would prefer me to take it to the dealer who sold it new.

Heard nothing from Guzzi of course.

Brian, the decision here in Oz at least in my case is made by the importer. I suspect that Guzzi head office have little to do with it, but that is my supposition, the service agent just passes on the importers' decision.

In fact all the service agent does is submit the claim - simple as that and wait for an answer yes or no and act accordingly. I am sure the system is the same in the UK.

A nice good-news story about the Australian importers (JSG) Mike - they cop a fair bit of stick from many here in Oz and I think a lot of it is underserved. It's great that it worked out for you.

Cheers

Rob

I'm sure it works the same here in the UK, Mike. Just wish I could actually get to talk to someone at Guzzi UK. Most frustrating when you never get a response from Guzzi.

So Graham, they wouldn't change your cARC which they agreed was within the recall range because the play was not sufficient?

Not quite the story. My original CARC was replaced under recall. It was in the replaced CARC that the bearing failed. It was when I demanded that the bearings be changed and said I would pay if Guzzi wouldn't that the importer and dealer came to the party and did it free. I had measured the play at the wheel rim and sent that information with my warranty claim, which Guzzi declined saying that the play wasn't excessive. Maybe they were right, but I could feel the play when starting to bank the bike and that's what prompted me to check for play in the first place.

At that time at least they were still fitting bearings of doubtful quality to the CARCs issued uner the recall. Presumably by now the engineers choose the bearings rather than the accountants.

Brian

Yes. Play at the wheel rim was measured using a fixed dial gauge at 0.016” by just hand pressure on the rim. That was the total of the movement in both directions. Easily felt by hand too. Probably rather more with riding loadings.

Rearwheelplay.jpg

16 thou, mine is a lot more than that, I don't need a dial guage, I can see it.
It's the best part of 2mm, 75 thou.

Sadly the one bit of kit I don't posess is a dial guage.

Back