Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I'll be very fair for updates. Yes, happy to accomodate you in Feb. Write me direct email to lock in; Todd at GuzziTech.com

2. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

This is by far one of the coolest things I've seen to date. Just waiting for the Canadian dollar to rebound so I can start with my list of modifications.

3. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

I did this on my V7 II Special. If you only do one mod, this should be it. It will completely transform the bike. You won't have to let it warm up more than a few seconds, you can putt around in first gear without surging, and fuel delivery is smooth all the way to fuel cut-off (which I now have to be careful with).

Vin-Man and black47 like this.
  4. Lank

Lank Just got it firing!

Have had a heck of a time with Guzzi on this bike, ran dissimilar temps R to L 30 to 60 degrees. Ran new reflash by Guzzi as below post,,,didn't do a thing.....got the reflash done from GuzziTech and what a difference... Runs same temp both side now, still got over 50 mpg running the living hell out of it, and seems to want to run at 5000 in 6th, which will help it keep up with my Norge, about 85 mph..fat part of the torque/HP curve I assume...the 750 always had to be pushed to run with the Norge and now I think they will run together well.. Quite happy with the reflash

BenRCMC, GT-Rx® and Gruzzer like this.
  5. black47

black47 Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I too have just recently used the reflash tool on my stock V7 II. It definitely gives better fuel delivery across the rev range, from toodling through the parking lots at 10mph, to railing it down the highway. Much simpler than disassembling the bike to get the throttle body/ECU out to send it in, just hook up and do some button pushing, and you're on your way!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  6. Joe Kletch

Joe Kletch Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I will be ordering one of these. Is there any reason I should get the latest mapping from the dealer prior to reprogramming with the ECU programming box? I believe I heard the dealers got one in 2015.

7. GT-Rx®

You could, unless there is a time and cost associated, as I can load the tool with the latest map for you as well. If you do get the latest map, it will store to the tool when you plug in and read it.

scudracer and BenRCMC like this.
  8. Joe Kletch

It is time and money and I am hoping to not use the dealer if I can. While I didn't catch it right away they only did an oil change for the 1st 600 mile service -- looking at the factory service intervals they were to do much more including a valve adjustment. Lost my faith in them.

9. GT-Rx®

Yes, head re-torque is critical with valve lash re-adjust, along with the complete PDI list.

scudracer likes this.
  10. Joe Kletch

Who'd a thought a shop that services Ferrari's can't service do proper service on a Motorcycle. Thanks Todd. I'll try to get this on order tomorrow.

scudracer likes this.
  11. jprodun

jprodun Just got it firing!

So, just to make it clear for me, If I buy it, I will not be able to use it on anything else except for the bike I currently own? Not even if I buy a V7II in a couple years? Or any bike with the same ECU model for that matter?

Thanks

12. GT-Rx®

That is correct. The unit is programmed to connect only with one ECU. I would offer a decent discount to repeat customers.

scudracer likes this.
  13. jprodun

jprodun Just got it firing!

Thanks Todd!

I was planning on sending my ECU sooner or later anyways, but now, with not a significant difference in price, I might as well just a buy the flash tool unit... Especially if I plan on playing with the bike in the future.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    BenRCMC likes this.
  14. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I just finished the flash with this tool during lunch. I did this in 2-steps. Yesterday I backed up the original and today I loaded the modified file Todd provided.

I installed a set of Mistral slip-ons. Nothing else (header, crossover, etc). The bike actually ran okay with the change-over. Not really that different from stock and I almost didn't consider buying this flash tool. There was a faint pop on decel but really nothing at all after I installed the Mistrals. I did a similar Mistral swap on my old V11 sport and didn't re-flash that bike and ran in a similar fashion. For the cost of the Mistrals, even without a flash I would say it made sense for me if for nothing other than aesthetic/cleaner/lighter for anyone considering

The Mrs gave me an early BDay gift and told me to get this so I can play. I will say the bike feels much smoother and maybe a tad more responsive on the throttle (I didn't say faster.....Todd, it isn't faster is it? :>). Just all and all seems smoother and runs better. Many thx Todd and very happy with the results although I haven't really taken it out yet for a long ride.

Note: You do need to leave the "key on" to back up the file and install the new. The back-up to ~15 minutes and the load was half that. Make sure you have a good battery charge before you begin.

15. GT-Rx®

Thanks Bob. More efficient fuel burn and cooling almost always results in more power, but power gains are subject to intake and exhaust flow revisions. Fueling/AFR ratios, timing and air temp tables are the focus for better cold start, cooler running and impressive throttle response and smoothness.

scudracer likes this.
  16. Clayton Sietsema

Clayton Sietsema Cruisin' Guzzisti

I will second what bob says, a full battery is very important before you start. The backup process took 25 and download took 40 minutes on my griso. Only about 5 minutes both ways on the Cali.

17. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm putting some$ away for the unit but this month the gubment wants, and will get, my tax dollars

18. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hey Todd, I have Mistral CF mufflers on my bike and there's a real lag in power and acceleration now. Is there a reflash that can be done? I just spoke to the Guzzi rep from Piaggio while he was in my store and he told me there is nothing that can be done for the 2016's. I didn't like that answer and that's why I'm asking here.

19. GT-Rx®

I've done many 2016 V7 II's, from stock to similar mods as yours, and I've also done several '16 820cc big bores and my RentAGuzzi '16 Racer 820cc with 4V heads... so yep, sure can. My flash tool at the head of this thread will do it, or contact me direct email; Info at GuzziTech.com

20. MasterKraus

MasterKraus Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hey All, I just purchased Todd's V7 Exhaust and ECU tool. Looking for a bit of instruction from someone who has done this before.

I see that I have a pos & neg set of clamps presumably to power the device when plugged into the bike. In addition I have the 16-pin to 3-pin connector that goes from the device to the bike. Is there a particular order in which this must be done? Do I power the device first and then plug it in, does the ignition need to be on, where do I plug into the bike - is it at one of the O2 sensor cables or elsewhere?

Much appreciated.

-Chris