Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Spackler

Spackler Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Makes sense. I'll be ordering the tool as soon as my finances recover from the new toy purchase.

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I have maps now for the V7 III and V9 in stock configuration, slip-on mufflers, GT-Rx® GP-Megs or my Full system (both of which will be available soon in the online Store tab above).

scudracer likes this.
  3. Carlos Rivera

Carlos Rivera Just got it firing!

Just ordered a box for an MIU 15' stone. Cold start / low speed hesitation and dying is not how a fuel injected bike should be. Excited to see the what the results will feel like after hearing all these great reviews

Will post my review when I get it up and going.

hody166 and GTM® like this.
  4. TweeZ4

TweeZ4 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Hi Todd,
    V9 engine is all new. 90% different from V7II small block. I didnt find any remapped v9 reviews in this thread.

Could you please share some info - how your V9 maps were tested, what (and to what extent) was changed in the maps (eg new fuel/air ratio vs stock)?
    What a user should expect from remapped stock V9?

Best regards,
    TweeZ4

5. GTM®

Well, what is different mainly is the cylinder heads and pistons. 90% different is a major exaggeration. I have not yet sold any V9 FTs. I have however built maps for my personal V9 shown below. I have completely stock, slip-on mufflers, and my full GT-Rx® high-flow exhaust system below. I dyno-build all of my maps with AFRs best suited for impressive throttle response and cooler running. You can expect the same thing as the Customer Reviews posted earlier in this thread and the reviews on the purchase page here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool

TweeZ4 and Wisconsin v7 Racer like this.
  6. TweeZ4

So, you have have the map for v9 in stock.
    Do I understastand correctly that you tweaked the AFR map to run reacher than stock, which must be Euro-4 compliant?

Whats gonna happen with my stock exhaust and built-incatalytic converter if I use your map? How long the cat.conv. gonna last?
    I'm very interested in smoother engine operation and throttle response (like my non-any-euro 2005 Yamaha SR400 with carb, Japanese market), but a little bit cautious about long term effects.

P.S. English is not my native language, sorry if my messages look strange.

7. GTM®

I do, and yes.
    You live in Russia, and you still have a cat con on your bike?
    There has been zero issues of increased performance engines, for a very long time, running cat-cons... unless you are running leaded fuels. Then it has nothing to do with AFRs.
    Fuel corrected bikes have a much longer and happier/healthier lives. It's been this way for nearly 20+ years since I've been working on injected motorbikes.

Poppe and TweeZ4 like this.
  8. TweeZ4

Many thanks for detailed reply, Todd. I'm gonna order FT tool in July, when my wife will be visiting USA (I'm gonna save on overseas shipping cost).
    Moto Guzzi sells less than 30 bikes per year in Russia, so we get bikes with european specs, cause nobody will adapt bikes for such negligible market.
    We do not have emission requirements for motorcycles, however we have euro-5 emissions standard for new cars and leaded petrol is forbidden since 90-ies.

roadscum likes this.
  9. Midnite

Midnite Tuned and Synch'ed

Adding to the chorus of positive reviews of the the GT tool and customer support, I'm increasingly happy with the re-flash of my V7ii. I ordered shortly after buying my Stone in May, and updated the ECU with less than 200 miles on the clock. For some odd reason, the initial updated map that I loaded caused my bike to stutter badly - revving up, then nearly dying, revving up, then nearly dying - so I immediately contacted Todd, who sent me two tweaked maps in short order, and walked me through some of the odd error codes I was getting on the diagnostic tool. Todd told me that the vast majority of V7's that he's updated via the GT tool have run like a charm with the first map he sent. It remains a mystery why that one didn't work on mine, which should be identical to all of the other V7ii's that have been updated, but, the last map he sent is now working perfectly on my bike, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I noticed smoother acceleration and power throughout the rev range when the final map started working on my bike, and it completely ironed out the problems that I experienced in low revs - particularly at low speeds in first gear. What has really surprised me though is how much smoother the bike runs after the 600 mile service with adjusted valves (intakes were tight on mine) and new fluids all around; it's as if the re-flash has now been completely revealed. At only 750 miles, the bike runs MUCH better, and is much happier than it was before the re-flash. I'm now completely happy with the engine characteristics. Now I just need to iron out the suspension...

So, as others have said, if you're on the fence, and have the money for the tool, go ahead and order! It's well worth it.

10. emab

emab Just got it firing!

I added mistral slip ons to my 2016 v7ii stone. It definitely ran leaner, popping on decel with a long warm up time sometimes stalling. Purchased the ecu programmer box which is very easy to use by the way and did a re flash thanks to Todd. It made a world of difference in the way my bike runs. So much smoother. I decided to pull the db killers to see how it sounded. I liked it but some power was lost rolling on the throttle. Contacted Todd and he sent another map free of charge- runs great. Now I have 2 revised maps. Great mod- highly recommended. Thanks Todd.

11. MotoBug

MotoBug Tuned and Synch'ed

Very tempting this FT. My bike is running well although I'd love to get rid of that jerkiness in first gear. Most annoying in car parks and slow cornering like roundabouts or tight bends. But then there's the warranty issue. I was told fiddling with the fueling will definitely void the warranty. I have to be patient I guess :( :cry:

12. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

When you get the jerkiness just use a bit of rear brake at the same time as your using throttle.

hody166 likes this.
  13. BearV7

BearV7 Just got it firing!

Just copying my review (5 stars) from the product page for anyone reading through the thread:

My bike is stock besides this reflash. I purchased it to resolve the rough idle/stall issues on cold starts and the on/off feeling at low throttle. After the reflash the bike idles perfectly and the throttle no longer jumps at low positions. The latter gives me a lot more confidence at low speeds and rolling on the throttle through corners.

I was skeptical about the claims that a reflash would totally transform the bike, assuming riders reporting this had a more subtle feel than I would. I am happy to report that all of these claims are not hyperbole. The bike feels different across all speeds and throttle positions. It is a very obvious improvement. I am no longer hunting for the right gear or rpm. There is just adequate power everywhere. Sounds better too.

I highly recommend this. It has made the bike much better all around.

NorthernProducer, Kofiko and GTM® like this.
  14. GTM®

Guzzi's warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on(!), and really, there is so little that goes wrong outside of leaks and clutch adjustment issues. If they blame the fueling on those, find a new dealer!
    The FT allows you to set the map back to stock when you take it in for service (and is mandatory to not be locked out of the ECU.)

hody166, scudracer and Poppe like this.
  15. MotoBug

MotoBug Tuned and Synch'ed

I've heard good and bad about the Guzzi warranty. I'm going to sit it out and be patient for the time being.

16. TweeZ4

Hi, Todd!
    What are dimensions of FT itself (without box)?
    How long will it take to ship FT to South Carolina?
    May I ask for some discount as GT Site contributor?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  17. GTM®

Email please; Todd at GuzziTech.com

18. Moss Jacobs

Moss Jacobs Just got it firing!

Laugh if you must, but i would prefer to pull my ECU and send it to some one. Is this device only good for one VIN? (One Bike Specific) it seems like a waste to buy this if it only works with one bike. I would prefer to save some $$$ and Fed Ex my ECU , Is Todd willing to do this?
    Todd.. Are you listening or rolling your eyes?

19. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

I had to send my ecu to Todd since this was not available at the time and I also had to buy the Centurion software to reset my tps. It's nice to have the software for diagnosis and resetting the tps. If I had a choice like you do I would definitely purchase the programmer box. Easier then removing the ecu and still does all the other stuff plus Todd can just email you updated maps.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    hody166 and Poppe like this.
  20. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hey Moss if your bike has the single throttle body the ecu and throttle body are one unit so it would be a pain to pull all that crap out.