• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rebuilt VHB 29 Carbs don't run real well

Where you been? Multiple FAILURES because of rings & valves, V85 & V7 range
Being a Guzzi wrench I hear about the failures, even ask the Tech Rep about them. Chinese
Does it say spa after the name anymore? Not since Aprilia takeover.

Being a Guzzi wrench I hear about the failures, even ask the Tech Rep about them. Chinese

Umm… re: S.p.A.

This is not because of Chinese parts.

Società per azioni (S.p.A.) is a legal designation of a corporation in Italy, meaning "company with stock shares".

Moto Guzzi has been a wholly owned subsidiary since Aprilia, which has also now been acquired by Piaggio, hence it is no longer a S.p.A. type corporation anymore as it doesn’t have shares of stock for sale anymore.

Piaggio owns it entirely.

Piaggio & C. S.p.A. is the parent company.

I am with Steve though on the V7/V85/C1400 platforms being plagued with Chinese parts and quality issues. It’s why I don’t own one of these models personally.

It is NOT a negative about the models themselves (I actually like them very much and would love to own them) but rather a frustration with issues that seem to plague these models for years now, and should never ever have reared their ugly heads after Moto Guzzi’s 100 years of motorcycle manufacturing experience.

Unfortunately the Chinese parts are so damn poor quality to me. I just really despise most Chinese products as they have ruined so many once great motorcycles.

I recently worked on a Benelli TK502. There is nothing Italian on this once great marque. It’s just cheap Chinese junk to me. Everything was cheap feeling, cheap looking, just cheap junk.

This is one thing I know for sure that Lannis and I agree on 100%. We do not like Chinese goods at all. They are crap.

Piaggio would do very well to stop using them as suppliers in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, that's a bit disconcerting as I have a 2010 V7 Cafe.

Jason

Well, that's a bit disconcerting as I have a 2010 V7 Cafe.

Jason
Don't be. Just read up here and familiarize yourself with know issues, and take preventative steps against them. That's the best you can do. Many members have tens of thousands of miles or many more, on their V7/V9/V85/C1400 bikes.

Don't let this distress you, Just be proactive. That's the best advice.

Besides, I think the earlier ones seem to be more reliable than the later ones, at least to my brain. I could be wrong but...

I read through this post -- very interesting because I'm having an issue with my VHB's too -- a differnt issue.
I get a loud, very loud, backfire when I hit the starter button and the bike doesn't start. I didn't try it very long, afraid of engine damage.
I installed the VHBs to replace the SS1s on my 1969 V700 (maybe I should just have left the SS1s on, the bike ran ok then except the SS1's have a tendency to leak).
I went through the VHBs as carefully as I could (but I don't have a lot of carb experience). Cleaned them, replaced gaskets and o-rings, blew compressed air through the jets and orifices of the carbs and all seems ok. I didn't check to be sure the jets are correct (darn it).
I eyeballed the float levels, didn't check them precisely.
I'm using K&N pod filters with he proper velosity stacks per Bender's recommendation.
The valves are gapped properly as are the points and spark plugs. I tested the spark, looks strong.
The needle on the slide is set at second from the top.
I think I have the proper freeplay at the choke and throttle cables going into the carbs.
I surmise that it's backfiring because it's running way too lean or too rich. The backfire is so loud that it makes me think it's too lean?
I guess my next step is to take the carbs apart again and double check that I did everything correctly, but I'm hoping that, maybe, you guys might be able to give me some direction on what specifically to look for that would cause the backfiring?
Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

If you can, please take some photos of your setup on your motorcycle and post them.

I’m not sure I fully understand. The bike doesn’t start at all now , it just backfires? Or it only backfired if it does not start.

Please clarify.

If you remove and open your carbs back up, take some photos and I can help you with carburetors.

Thanks!

It sounds to me that you may have the plug leads reversed . Peter
Wow, Moto-uno, you were right, I had the sparkplug leads reversed! Thanks! Feeling a little stupid, but I'll get over it. The bike still doesn't start but at least it's not backfiring when I try to start it.

If you can, please take some photos of your setup on your motorcycle and post them.

I’m not sure I fully understand. The bike doesn’t start at all now , it just backfires? Or it only backfired if it does not start.

Please clarify.

If you remove and open your carbs back up, take some photos and I can help you with carburetors.

Thanks!
Scottmastrocinque, I had the sparkplug leads reversed so I fixed that and it no longer backfires when I try to start it (to answer your question, it backfired but would not start). It still doesn't start, so I'll do some more work on it to see if I can figure it out. Attached are pictures of how things are setup......if you have any input that would be awesome. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 10
Wow, Moto-uno, you were right, I had the sparkplug leads reversed! Thanks! Feeling a little stupid, but I'll get over it. The bike still doesn't start but at least it's not backfiring when I try to start it.

I learned a very long time ago, on anything that is Left & Right, before I disconnect them, I just wrap a tiny red zip tie on the one that comes from the right. You will never make that mistake again, and colored zip ties are super cheap at Harbor Freight Tools.

In fact, I use colored zip ties (love the damn things really) all the time in my workshop. I often put one on the wire or tube or cable, and one of the same color on the component where it came from. Makes for very fast reassembly especially when I have waited often times, weeks, for parts to arrive.

Thank You Very Much for the pictures. I'll study your pictures when I have a free moment and comment then.

IMG 6506

Last edited:
Thanks -- using zip ties sounds like a good idea, I'll try it out.

All I can say is check fuel and timing. When you can let us know which jets are being used. Once you get it going, I recommend taking the manifolds off, then having a welding shop build up a small area in the bend. Then to a machine shop and have that built up area flattened, then drilled and tapped so you can hook up some type of manometer device to synchronize the carbs. Take a look at 850T3 manifolds to see what I mean.

To add to the suggestions , I would turn the idle speed screws out a few turns and check that you still have some freeplay at the throttle cables where they enter the top of the carbs. If there's no freeplay , then the chokes won't be effective . The intake vacuum that would be strongest through the choke orifices is bled off by partially opened throttle slide . If it starts you can then play with the idle . Good luck. Peter

To add to the suggestions , I would turn the idle speed screws out a few turns and check that you still have some freeplay at the throttle cables where they enter the top of the carbs. If there's no freeplay , then the chokes won't be effective . The intake vacuum that would be strongest through the choke orifices is bled off by partially opened throttle slide . If it starts you can then play with the idle . Good luck. Peter

And if idle is low, raise the slides before turning the idle stop screw in.

Thanks John Zibell and Moto-Uno -- I'll be working on it tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.

Robertx901,

Looking at your extermal pictures, I'm not seeing much to give me pause except the slash cut where the carb mates to the intake manifold. Is that slash open to the atmosphere? If so, it is a source of leakes galore. I presume that it is laying over the metal of the intake track and it is sealed off otherwise.

I will be more interested in internal photos if you cannot get her to run correctly. I'll watch for updates..

Good Luck!

Robertx901,

Looking at your extermal pictures, I'm not seeing much to give me pause except the slash cut where the carb mates to the intake manifold. Is that slash open to the atmosphere? If so, it is a source of leakes galore. I presume that it is laying over the metal of the intake track and it is sealed off otherwise.

I will be more interested in internal photos if you cannot get her to run correctly. I'll watch for updates..

Good Luck!
There should be a plastic bushing in the carb where you see the cut. The cut is there so that the body will clamp down on the bushing/manifold.

Thanks John!

I figured there had to be some sealing surface other than metal to metal. I was just checking as I don't have the benefit of before, during, and after photos.

It's that carburetor time of year again in my workshop. :D 7 carb jobs at the moment. Fun, Fun, Fun! :p

Back