• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rebuilt VHB 29 Carbs don't run real well

Hey guys, should I take the accelerator pump piston apart (I do hear the little ball rattling inside when I shake it)?
*Does the 10mm nut at the top screw out from the main body? Seems pretty tight.
*Should I be able to see through the assembly? I see no daylight when I look through.....
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
How about a “How to…” guide!

Copy and paste this into your browser window.

thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_rebuild_-__vhb.html

This should get you all the way home. 😀👌👍

Thanks, I'll do that!
You are welcome.

Funny thing is I believe that Amboman, here on this site, is in fact Charlie Mullendore of Antietam Classic Cycle, who Greg mentions in the text.

I’m surprised he didn’t chime in but nevertheless, I’m glad I was able to relocate that from the back of my mind to share with you and others who might need it.

Last edited:
You are welcome.

Funny thing is I believe that Amboman, here on this site, is in fact Charlie Mullendore of Antietam Classic Cycle, who Greg mentions in the text.

I’m surprised he didn’t chime in but nevertheless, I’m glad I was able to relocate that from the back of my mind to share with you and others who might need it.
Yes, one and the same. I haven't chimed in more, because every time I scroll up to look at the previous posts, my PC screen goes dark, a little box appears telling me that my graphics driver has stopped working and has recovered (a lie), then I have to completely reboot to get it to work again. No issue anywhere else on this forum, or anywhere else on the 'web. Weird.

Yes, Charlie is a great resource!
I'm going back through both carbs now, will do a better job this time around. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I've reinstalled them.
I am still curious about the SS1 carbs. I took them off becuase of reviews that said they might leak and start a hot engine on fire. I do think I solved the leaking problem on mine and I'm always wondering if I, at some point, might want to put them back on. The bike (and SS1s) have about 8,500 miles. Anybody have an opinion about them?

Yes, Charlie is a great resource!
I'm going back through both carbs now, will do a better job this time around. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I've reinstalled them.
I am still curious about the SS1 carbs. I took them off becuase of reviews that said they might leak and start a hot engine on fire. I do think I solved the leaking problem on mine and I'm always wondering if I, at some point, might want to put them back on. The bike (and SS1s) have about 8,500 miles. Anybody have an opinion about them?
My friend Larry replaced his v700's SS1s with VHB 30s from an 850-T3. No jetting changes to the VHBs. Gas mileage went from the low 30s to the upper 40s, and throttle response was greatly improved. Even if SS1s don't leak, they rarely meter properly in my experience.

Update: I finally had time to go through the carbs again -- found two clogged jets which I replaced. When I attempt to start it up now all I get is a click -- no doubt the starter solenoid or starter motor (probably starter motor). I'm going to run some tests on both and, if I have a question, will post it on a new thread. Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it!

If it is the starter, any auto electric shop can rebuild it. But first make sure the battery is good. As we say the only way to tell for sure is a load test that can be done an any auto parts store. After you check the battery or before, remove the starter and see if it will spin with no load.

Hello everyone. Right now I am dealing with the exact same problem that the topic here describes and I am looking for some help/advices.
I rebuilt my VHB 29 of my 1972 Eldorado and now the machine wont start or if it starts it runs like a can full of screws and will die immediatly as soon as I touch the gas throttle.
The carbs are fitted with all new jets but everything is factory size-whise. I think one major problem/mistake I have is that I swapped the original mixture screws with after market ones. Unfortunatelly the old ones are gone so I cant swap them back. These after market ones have a slightly but visibly shorter tip and it seems I just cant get the mixture near to anything startable.
This are the basic dimensions in millimeters (sorry!).
IMG 20230330 134501thumb034f38a5891ebda181c966519050268e

I assume that the basic configuration setting wont work with that right? Do you have any suggestion how to start?
Additional things that are different after rebuilding the carbs is that I used two instead of one sealing between the float bowl and the float bowl cap unterneath the carb. So the cap will be a tick deeper but should that make any difference function-whise?????
I also swapped the idle screws with newer ones but that seems to work fine. Idle and mixture screws are installed without any rubber seal or washers...only the screws and the flattened springs.

Thank you in advance guys...

You need to have the washer and o-ring on the shaft of the idle mix screw. Turn them in until fully seated, that back out 2.5 turns as a start point. Also you should only need one o-ring on the float bowl. Also check that the enriching jet plungers are sealing as it should.

Attachments

• THE IDLE CIRCUIT AND THE PROGRESSION.pdf
    805.6 KB · Views: 3
You need to have the washer and o-ring on the shaft of the idle mix screw.
Thank you. So do I need the o-ring and washer even if these were not installed originally with the factory style mixture screw? They are required now because of the shorter tip?

Thank you. So do I need the o-ring and washer even if these were not installed originally with the factory style mixture screw? They are required now because of the shorter tip?
Did you see the last page of the PDF? The shorter screw does use the washer and o-ring.

Yes John I saw it but I thought that is only one possible setup. So it's a complete setup with the short screw. Thank you very much, I will try that asap!
Screenshot 2023 03 30 21 14 27 88 e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f

VHB 29s and 30s as used on the Loopframe and Tonti Guzzis do not use an o-ring and backer washer - just the screw and the spring.
Yes ... thats what I thought at first. I am not sure if it will work If I add the o-ring/washer. That screw I posted is sold for VHB carbs but in reality it comes from the PHB series. It seems there is no 1:1 repop screw for VHB on the market... unfortunate for me now. PHBs are using the screw with ring and washer but I assume the inner contours of a VHB are different...
I mean I can give it a try but not sure if the carbs will run better or worse...

Yes ... thats what I thought at first. I am not sure if it will work If I add the o-ring/washer. That screw I posted is sold for VHB carbs but in reality it comes from the PHB series. It seems there is no 1:1 repop screw for VHB on the market... unfortunate for me now. PHBs are using the screw with ring and washer but I assume the inner contours of a VHB are different...
I mean I can give it a try but not sure if the carbs will run better or worse...
That is the correct screw. The same screw is used on PHF, PHM, PHBH, PHBE/PHB and PHBL carburetors.

Hi Amboman.. i am by far no expert with carbs. I understand how they work and thats it. By saying this is the correct srew you mean it is a working replacement screw right?
I am asking because the original mixture screw looks slightly different from that newer one WE are talking about. It basically has a shorter nose tip as the original screw that can be found in a untouched VHB-29.
1098821332 EinstellschraubeVergleich5767488d0685f3c02df516c8b6e12fa4
Left is the new one and on the right the factory one.

Now my question is if that contour change effects the air adjustment? If you guys say it should work fine with that different nose tip i have to look further why my Eldorado wont run now.

I am a bit confused because i get messages from "it wont run with that screw" to "wont make any difference"

Thanks!

Back