• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

U.S. Relay to the Rally 2009

OK, the baton will be crossing state lines tomorrow. Dale and his Florida group are planning to meet me in Tifton, GA tomorrow afternoon, probably in a thunderstorm :S I will head north to the Atlanta area Saturday morning to pass it off to, hopefully, several Guzzi riders at a new dealership there.

You folks in Indiana and the Midwest have it headed your way, and maybe you'll have time to polish it before sending it along :laugh:

Muley,

We'll have dry clothes and a warm meal for you when you get here!!!

Also a safe place for the "Baton in Waiting" if no one else shows up on Saturday.

Yea, he is going to get soaked I suspect.

OK, North or South Carolina? Who is next up?
Steve or I will have it. Someone mentioned a meet up in the mountains.

Muley mentioned meeting on top of Mount Mitchell. Bet it is a bit cold up there right now.

Wayne Orwig wrote:

Muley mentioned meeting on top of Mount Mitchell. Bet it is a bit cold up there right now.

Well Mount Mitchell might not be too bad but that's well past SC. I could hook up with you somewhere along the way and show you how to get there. :p What day are you thinking about? I haven't seen anybody from those parts post up yet.

Right now I'm just keeping my eye on the weather. Cold would not be bad but wet and cold would be.

DSenn wrote:
Frank Dugo and I took it to Key West today and got a shot of it at the southernmost point of the US. Just the baton at the foot of the marker. Frank and I did not want to spoil a good shot with us in it.
We will move it to the Georgia guys on Friday.

I'm assuming it will make its way up the East coast. On the way back West, I could catch it on I-90 anywhere from the western edge of New York into Ohio, and get further along in Ohio. It would probably be nice if a Pa. person spent a little time with it in their state and then passed it into Ohio.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

I'm watching in NYC. Depending when it get this way, I can get it from NJ to Conn North PA Albany, NY or something as needed.

ZoomZoom,
I can help in your area, Central NY , Western PA, and Ohio. I'll keep watch and maybe we can coordinate. Keep a watch at this site. Ride Safe , J Good

screamday wrote:
Wayne Orwig wrote:

Well Mount Mitchell might not be too bad but that's well past SC. I could hook up with you somewhere along the way and show you how to get there. :p What day are you thinking about? I haven't seen anybody from those parts post up yet.

Right now I'm just keeping my eye on the weather. Cold would not be bad but wet and cold would be.

Do you want to try for this Sunday? (likely wet)
Next week (April 3,4) I am unavailable. I think Steve said you can do it though.

I am along I-85 about an hour from SC. Let us know when and where.

I can probably carry the baton if it needs to pass thru northern/central New Mexico.

Rich Arimoto

Wayne Orwig wrote:
Do you want to try for this Sunday? (likely wet)
Next week (April 3,4) I am unavailable. I think Steve said you can do it though.

I am along I-85 about an hour from SC. Let us know when and where.

Wayne, check your PM's

Ok, if we want to keep the baton moving I will need to know which direction to head after I (we) pick it up from the GA crowd. Tentative plans are for me (us) pick it up on Sunday somewhere around the GA/SC border. The earliest time for me to move it further would be Tuesday or Wednesday the following week. I don't know if anybody else could move it sooner or not. I could possibly even move it North on Sunday to hand-off on Monday but I have to be back in Columbia by Monday PM.

If the baton comes back to Columbia then we would probably want to move it North or East on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The first pictures have been post here,

http://picasaweb.google.com/GuzziRelay09

This is a synopsis of what ocured on Monday and Tuesday 23,24th

The new Central Florida MGNOC representative, Dan Raidt from Hernando, Florida, started the official journey for the 2009 Moto Guzzi Baton Rally. The start took place Monday, March 23,2009 on the Nature Coast of Florida, a lightly inhabited area located on the Gulf of Mexico. The place selected by Dan and life member Randy Peterson was the tourist/art community of Cedar Key. This provided an outstanding photographic venue to pose the Baton and document the initiation of its trip across America. The Baton Rally, a highly successful effort last year netted $2600.00 for the Injured Riders Fund, involved Guzzi rider from Santa Monica, Ca. to Florida, north to New England, west to Minnesota and finally back to California in time for the National Rally in Santa Monica. A very special tribute must go out to Todd Egan, Southern California Rep. who organized the first Baton from Santa Monica, Ca. This Rally was via the GuzziTech.com site, which provided all of the relay riders a method to coordinate the Baton handoffs as the Baton headed east. It was a remarkable effort of all riders to keep this baton moving and get it back to the National Rally in California. The honor of starting the rally this year rested in the hands of the Florida group as our state rider, Jerry Dasson from Palm Bay won the long distance award at the California National Rally.

The photos of the start of the 2009 Rally will be posted on the Forum.GuzziTech.com that were taken by Dan Raidt & Randy Peterson. In addition a very special thanks must go to Randy’s wife Louise Peterson, who when seeing the sad state of the baton travel bag and the precious flywheel “protected?” with bubble wrap took it upon herself to design and sew up a heavy soft protective storage sleeve for the baton and also rebuilt the tank bag as it was wearing through in multiple areas. This was quite an effort and was many hours of effort to get it just right.

Before the official start of the rally I did take the baton to a new Guzzi dealership in Gainesville, Florida for a photo shoot. I wanted to do this as I had the pleasure of meeting the President of the Scooter Stores of America, Peter Warrick during the Daytona bike week. Peter is currently responsible for seven stores located in Georgia & Florida in which four carry the Moto Guzzi line. I feel that a part of his future success rests in the hands of the MGNOC members, and hopefully many new members, as they become aware of the friendship and commitment demonstrated by activities like the 2009 Baton Rally Across America.

Well, if needed to ride the Baton, I'm off on Mon the 30th, then Sun the 6th & Mon the 7th. Have to work the Open House thing w/Aprilia Demo Rides this weekend. I could get off during this week after Mon for another day IF I work the Demo Rides at Road Atlanta next week-end.

V700Steve wrote:
Well, if needed to ride the Baton, I'm off on Mon the 30th, then Sun the 6th & Mon the 7th. Have to work the Open House thing w/Aprilia Demo Rides this weekend. I could get off during this week after Mon for another day IF I work the Demo Rides at Road Atlanta next week-end.

Where exactly are you located??

Relay09_Georgia1.jpg

The baton is resting tonight in the heart of Georgia, about two miles from the exact geographic center of the state. I had the privilege today of meeting Frank Dugo and Dale Senn in Tifton, GA for the transfer of the flywheel. Dale suggested Tifton since it was “about mid way between us”. He and Frank came from Cocoa Beach which is about 320 miles from Tifton, and I had 99.99 miles on the GPS when I met them. Dale’s math wasn’t flawed, he just wanted to ride today, so they went over 600 miles round trip. They had previously made the trip to Key West (see pictures in this thread), but I suppose that several hundred mile ride didn’t fully satisfy them. In any event, I’m grateful to them for limiting my rain riding today. It ain’t my idea of having fun.;)

I had just switched off the bike as I saw Frank and Dale turn in to the road leading to our meeting place at a Day’s Inn motel. Even though the two Guzzis were immediately recognizable, it didn’t really matter since we three were the only morons on motorcycles out and about in that nasty rain.

After going our separate ways I headed to Milan, GA (pronounced MYE-lun) for a photo op with the police chief in front of the city hall. The small community (pop. around 1000) was actually named for Milan, Italy, but I can’t find much info. on that. Once I left I-75, the rain stopped and the ride was very nice, taking me through rural South Georgia farm and forestland. Altogether, it turned out to be a pretty good trip.

Tomorrow, I plan to take the baton to the Atlanta area and hand it over to our state MGNOC rep., Wayne Orwig. However, if anyone is willing, I’m willing to go up to Mt. Mitchell, in North Carolina, on Sunday and help turn it over to a rider from one of the Carolinas.

I have several pictures which I'll forward to Todd since I still don't have a clue how to post them on here.:blush: Maybe he can add them to the thread.

picasaweb.google.com/GuzziRelay09

OK, I managed (somehow) to get yesterday's pictures posted on this site. Right now, I'm supposed to leave for the Atlanta area, but it's lightning, pouring down rain and black as night still:dry:

I think I'll go get some breakfast first and drink coffee until at least I can see. Then it's on north with the baton. I sure don't want to be accused of stalling this relay;)

The Maryland Guzzi spring campout will be on the last weekend in April, if that will fit the baton travel itinerary. It will be on the eastern shore, so we could probably fit in a few miles in Delaware if state line crossings or marking new territory are important. We usually have someone from the Philadelphia or New Jersey area come down and camp with us, so that might also make a good transfer point if we can work out the details.

Let me know what the official (to use the term loosely) plan is.

Howard

Back