• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 H20 Stelvio Chat

I would like one as well. But then there's the new 1300GS which is a little lighter yet produces much more power........

I came to the V85TT via 11 years of Super Tenere and a 2023 Tiger 12, and have ridden a number of GS1250s.

Not crazy about boxer engines but BMWs are fine as long as somebody else owns them and they are in warranty. I’ve had two rentals leave me walking after electric problems. And there is no way on Earth would I trust a first year clean sheet redesign of a BMW product.

Guzzi/Piaggio clearly has been following a plan and knows better than to chase the horse power war of KTM, Triumph, Ducati, and BMW. More power requires more structure, weight, and complication. With the Euro 5 smog requirements, there’ll be no more classic air cooled engines, meaning the classic Guzzi ideas had to come to an end. They worked the (few) teething kinks out of the V100 with the Mandello and how to get back into ADV with the V85TT.

So we’re getting a water cooled Stelvio that’ll be the lightest shaft and it should be a really nicely balance of features. With the 19” front the first ones obviously will be road oriented, but I’ve taken the Teneres places people said they should not have been able to go many times.

I too am leery of buying a first year, "all new" BMW and tech for the sake of tech turns me off, such as keyless, electric activated central locking luggage. Currently I have a late airhead that quit running (no spark) and a California 1400 that its starter might activate after pressing and holding the button for a few seconds, so I don't trust it now. But these are both prior models that have nothing in common with their newer offerings. The 14 R1200GSA was trouble free other than the electronic suspension turning harsh, and my 21 V85 has been completely trouble free.

Even though the Stelvio is heavier and has much less power than a R1300, it doesn't weigh that much more than a V85 and produces a lot more power than a V85, so I think I'd be ok with that.
For those who have ridden a V100 one thing I'm interested in knowing is what do you think of the gear ratios and overall final ratio as it relates to a sport tourer? And assuming Guzzi leaves them the same how it'll be for an adventure tourer? Sport tourers work pretty well with a close ratio box and a tall overall FD for a relaxed 6th. Adventure tourers also want a relaxed 6th for riding I-80, etc., but need a lower first for crawling up a section of washouts on that gravel road.

My dealer this week said his District Sales Manager was with the press and they all love the bike.
News blackout till next week.
Although they have no pricing or specs, dealers will hold reservations on a$1,000 refundable deposit.

My dealer hadn't heard anything about how Guzzi will handle initial orders. He said I can send a deposit to them and be first on their list. But then stated Guzzi may handle it like they did for the V100 Mandello where customers placed their order on line with Guzzi.

I was so filled with anticipation about this model. Then I saw it in photos. Meh. Not me. Nope.

Furthermore, what is this fascination with wire spoke wheels on a motorcycle that may see 10% of its life on a gravel or dirt road and 90% on the street?

They are a BITCH to clean compared to my cast wheels and when those individual prints start to go, you will shit your pants at the time and money required to refurbish them.

I gave my old spoke wheels to my best friend. Hopefully he remains my best friend in a couple more years when those bad boys start to leak air badly.

Compared to my incredible and totally awesome 2012 Stelvio NTX, I’ll not budge. The NTX is just a far better motorcycle in my estimation. Real luggage, real foot pegs, real fuel capacity (8.5 gal). Just real everything. Purpose built.

I’ll stick with my 91.5 horsepower at 7,300 rpm and 69.4 lb-ft of torque at a lofty 6,500 and the fact that the engine also makes at least 50-60 lb-ft of torque from idle to redline at 8,000 rpm.

Besides, my Stelvio is PFP. (Paid for Period!)
I totally agree that unless you are off road and despite tightening the spokes and re truing the wheels (in my past life I used to build bicycle wheels for road racers), which should in theory keep the seals tight, they still leak so much at 60,000 kms, that I went to tubes to stop the leak and I wish I could find a pair of cast wheels. This mirrors my experience on my Griso also, where I found cast wheels and haven't looked back. I wish I could say that I used the better ability of the wire wheels off road, but with my condition, if the Stelvio falls over on a fire road or dirt track, I'm probably walking out!

I found cast wheels and haven't looked back.

Ditto! I wouldn’t move off of my cast wheels for any spoke wheel.

Everybody who buys an Adventure bike, thinks they are going to go riding it off-road. 🤦‍♂️

Then, they see just how much work and how utterly dangerous it is to try and take 550lbs off-road. It is a serious endeavor indeed and only a handful of world class riders can truly manhandle such a behemoth in the rough!

The true reason Adventure bikes even came into existence in my opinion, is that they are by far, the most comfortable and most easily controlled motorcycles simply by virtue of the riding position.

Public response of Adventure bikes has certainly confirmed this viewpoint to me.

Last edited:
My Guzzi has spoked wheels and in the 8 years that I have had it the tubeless rear has never leaked air but the tubed front always does despite changing tubes and air valves.
I like spokes because they are emminately repairable, snap a spoke - just replace that small item.
Snap a spoke on a cast wheel and replace the whole wheel.
And they give the opportunity of changing rim size.
As to cleaning, I only bother with the rims and that's easily done.

I too am leery of buying a first year, "all new" BMW and tech for the sake of tech turns me off, such as keyless, electric activated central locking luggage. Currently I have a late airhead that quit running (no spark) and a California 1400 that its starter might activate after pressing and holding the button for a few seconds, so I don't trust it now. But these are both prior models that have nothing in common with their newer offerings. The 14 R1200GSA was trouble free other than the electronic suspension turning harsh, and my 21 V85 has been completely trouble free.

Even though the Stelvio is heavier and has much less power than a R1300, it doesn't weigh that much more than a V85 and produces a lot more power than a V85, so I think I'd be ok with that.
For those who have ridden a V100 one thing I'm interested in knowing is what do you think of the gear ratios and overall final ratio as it relates to a sport tourer? And assuming Guzzi leaves them the same how it'll be for an adventure tourer? Sport tourers work pretty well with a close ratio box and a tall overall FD for a relaxed 6th. Adventure tourers also want a relaxed 6th for riding I-80, etc., but need a lower first for crawling up a section of washouts on that gravel road.

My dealer hadn't heard anything about how Guzzi will handle initial orders. He said I can send a deposit to them and be first on their list. But then stated Guzzi may handle it like they did for the V100 Mandello where customers placed their order on line with Guzzi.
I like the ratios on my V100 Mandello. That said, it's a tough shifting gearbox that the Cycle World review in the last couple days says has been updated for smoother shifting including a slipper clutch. IMO, first gear will be too tall for crawling on technical off-road terrain without a lot of clutch feathering........ my BMW R1200GS also has this problem and if you throw in some rocks and uphill grade, it becomes a handful really fast and the clutch gets abused. The new Stelvio and big BMW really aren't intended for this. I wonder when a manufacturer will copy the old Honda trail 90 with their lever switched high/ low range transfer case in the final drive for going off road with some lower gearing. That would be something useful beyond all this electronic gadgetry along with a bigger front wheel for rougher terrain. We are stuck with these shaft bikes and can't play with sprocket sizes.

Thanks emxbee, yeah I read Guzzi had tweaked/improved the V100's gears and clutch for better shifting. In all honesty I can't think of any motorcycle I've owned that shifting was a problem, some are better than others.....it's just something you adapt to. However I have felt the gear *ratios* that were chosen for some bikes left a lot to be desired. Most, anymore, seem too close with 6th too low. A R1150GS I had, had a way too tall first. My Tenere 700's 6 gears are too close together for an adventure bike, 1st could be a bit lower and 6th should be a lot taller IMO. The gearbox unfortunately came unchanged from Yamaha's street bike MT07. I've not seen anything mentioned about ratios for the new Stelvio so I'm assuming the box comes unchanged from the Mandello, hope I'm wrong.

Ditto! I wouldn’t move off of my cast wheels for any spoke wheel.

Everybody who buys an Adventure bike, thinks they are going to go riding it off-road. 🤦‍♂️

Then, they see just how much work and how utterly dangerous it is to try and take 550lbs off-road. It is a serious endeavor indeed and only a handful of world class riders can truly manhandle such a behemoth in the rough!

The true reason Adventure bikes even came into existence in my opinion, is that they are by far, the most comfortable and most easily controlled motorcycles simply by virtue of the riding position.

Public response of Adventure bikes has certainly confirmed this viewpoint to me.
I remember back in the eighties in Europe, big trail bikes were very popular as touring bikes, especially France and Germany. Road tyres and lotsa luggage. Transalp, Africa twin etc into the 1990's. They were everywhere especially France. I've always felt that popularity led to the rise of the adventure bikes for the reasons you give.

Clifton
I’m going to agree with emxbee about first in the Mandello being taller than desired for an ADV but it’s lower than on the Tiger12. Seems to me idle on the T12 was 11-12, the BMWs maybe a couple less, Mandello about the same, where the Tenere was 3-4. Those few mph make a massive difference on gravel and dirt and it’s one reason the Tenere 565+ lb weight seems to disappear as soon as the wheels start turning.

Thanks, hopefully Guzzi sees fit to widen the ratios for the Stelvio version.

If a Tenere 1200 can idle along at 3-4mph in first that's very low indeed. My stock T700 idled between 7 and 8 mph which is a little too tall. After going up 1 on the front sprocket it now idles along at 8 mph, but 60 mph in 6th dropped from 4,500 to 4,150.

I'm not a fan of the design language. I think they could have done something more like this, which would have brought some cohesion with the V7 Special colorway, and it would have felt more Guzzi-esque to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 4.13.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 4.13.10 PM.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 21
There are not many body pieces so those not liking what is offered could do a vinyl wrap for not a lot of money. I think a Coastie V85TT scheme would be sharp.

From what I have seen here in Australia 'Adventure' bikes equate to the mad obsession with 4 wheel drive Ute's.
Rarely seen off road and are more about the possibility of doing so.
Serious Adventure is probably best done on a DR650 Suzuki as Serious riders know that on some causeway somewhere they are going to slide on moss, lay the bike over and be in the biggest hurry to get upright and going again due to crocs taking a liking to excitement.
And I agree that taking over 500 pounds and $40, 000 AU down some deserted track is a stupid idea in extremis.
But isn't the 'Stelvio' more likely to ride the switchbacks on its namesakes pass?

From what I have seen here in Australia 'Adventure' bikes equate to the mad obsession with 4 wheel drive Ute's.
Rarely seen off road.....
I think that's a fair statement.
This Stelvio is essentially a Mandello only with a more upright comfortable, riding position, and the addition of a larger front wheel with a little more suspension travel at both ends. So it'll be just as capable on nice roads, but more enjoyable to ride on poor pavement and gravel/dirt roads. I enjoy riding in more remote areas but often the roads are in poor repair and that's where these bikes excel over traditional street motorcycles.

This Summer I took a ride up around the Great Lakes then across the midwest to NW Montana almost entirely on 2-lane roads. I would have liked to have explored more gravel roads but the bike I was on just wasn't ideal for that. A Stelvio would have been, and if I wanted to hop on I-80 for a bit, set the cruise at 85, and just watch the scenery go by, it could do that too.

First real-world ride review I've seen!

"This is the best Moto Guzzi ever to come off a production line." :eek:

Engine Differences from the V100
"First the EFI system gets a downstream O2 sensor to give the Stelvio a Euro 5+ rating—the V100 will also get this as a running change. Guzzi augmented the thickness of the rear of the engine cases where the swingarm attaches for increased strength to handle the additional stresses from the Stelvio’s ADV mission. That’s it."

"Every gear has been reworked to improve shifting, and the clutch is a new self-assist anti-hopping (slipper) unit that is also meant to improve shift actuation and feel."

"Revised geometry, increased length, and additional engine mounting points for the Stelvio (from 4 on the V100 to 6 on the Stelvio). The head-tube area has been stretched and has more rake to make room for the 19-inch front wheel."

I'm personally pretty excited by it. Got my piggy bank set up, haha.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Mandello have 6 mount points?
2 in front, 2 on the upper rear gearbox and 2 plate mounts behind the cylinders. Images

Last edited:
First real-world ride review I've seen!

"This is the best Moto Guzzi ever to come off a production line." :eek:

Engine Differences from the V100
"First the EFI system gets a downstream O2 sensor to give the Stelvio a Euro 5+ rating—the V100 will also get this as a running change. Guzzi augmented the thickness of the rear of the engine cases where the swingarm attaches for increased strength to handle the additional stresses from the Stelvio’s ADV mission. That’s it."

"Every gear has been reworked to improve shifting, and the clutch is a new self-assist anti-hopping (slipper) unit that is also meant to improve shift actuation and feel."

"Revised geometry, increased length, and additional engine mounting points for the Stelvio (from 4 on the V100 to 6 on the Stelvio). The head-tube area has been stretched and has more rake to make room for the 19-inch front wheel."

I'm personally pretty excited by it. Got my piggy bank set up, haha.
The best MotoGuzzi to ever to come off a production line? I think not by a long shot and unproved motor lets see after this about seven years of use.
From now and by then we can see who good it is.Ask V700Steve what he thinks.Steve has some of the best ever off of the production line Steve himself rides daily rides a Motoguzzi from 1967 .I think think you should start at 1967 and work your way forward to the models and see what great models that where made thru out the years .I my self am going to buy a older MotoGuzzi because there is some very special about these older models that I think are just great.I think that way you feel about the new model Is great. Good for you.Someone told me a long time ago just because some is newer does not mean it is better.And I really don't care for the liquid cooled feature.Thank You.Scott.

Last edited:
I dunno, it's been my experience that newer motorcycles just work better than old ones, they just keep getting better, so I can see how the Mandelo or new Stelvio could be considered the best Moto Guzzi to come off their assembly line based on performance. Same as the new BMW M1000XR or R1300GS are the best BMW's to come off their assembly line, etc.

Back