• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 H20 Stelvio Chat

Nevertheless, I have come seeking wisdom. I desire to remove the cat and add a stubby. For track use only, of course. How do I make that happen without the CEL lighting up? What stubby? what hanger mod? What tunes? how on earth do I get said tunes? Glad to learn from y'all. ps. Will I need to purchase a computer to do this? oh, and lastly - is there a tool kit (not made you know where) that has most if not all the tools this new bike will require for DIY maintenance? hell, one more thing, does the center stand decrease ground clearance?
So do you now own one?
I’ll start a new thread on mods as they surface. Not much yet available as it’s so new. I have begun working on accessing the V100 ECU using our commercially supported devices. For now, UpMap offers one for the Mandello. All options will be available on the (GTM) STORE tab at the top of the page as they become available. UpMap only requires a smart phone or tablet.
No tool kit per se, but I’ve made a 2 in 1 axle nut socket linked below. I have a few left.
Yes, center-stands almost always reduce ground clearance.
Look forward to your contributions here.

So do you now own one?
I’ll start a new thread on mods as they surface. Not much yet available as it’s so new. I have begun working on accessing the V100 ECU using our commercially supported devices. For now, UpMap offers one for the Mandello. All options will be available on the (GTM) STORE tab at the top of the page as they become available. UpMap only requires a smart phone or tablet.
No tool kit per se, but I’ve made a 2 in 1 axle nut socket linked below. I have a few left.
Yes, center-stands almost always reduce ground clearance.
Look forward to your contributions here.

Affirmative.

I appreciate the feedback.

I’m seldom behind a desk and used my gf’s computer to join the forum, so will not post much - I read the banner about not being a drive-by poster – but I will make it a point to share whenever I suspect I have something of value to offer. I’ll definitely check out the store. I may at some point reach out to Wright Tools (the very last hand tool manufacturer exclusively made in the USA) with a list of Stelvio specific tools and see whether they could offer a kit to this community (of course it will be expensive because these are the very best tools ever made). I always knew you guys were a tribe apart and judging from my past encounters, I am willing to bet there must be some master grade mechanic knowledge floating around here.

All the best everybody, it will be a while until I log on again, but eventually I’ll come around.

Took mine out on this beautiful afternoon. It was a little cool just hitting 50 and a lot of roads had grit but it was just nice getting out. Did around 60 miles so it's up to 255 now. I'm really enjoying this motorcycle; riding position is good as is the wind management. The seat is good for a stock one but I wish it was 1/2-1" higher and rearward for my old knees on longer rides, so I just ordered a tall seat to have as well. The power, as well as the delivery of it, is delightful, and the transmission shifts just fine both up and down. There is a noticeable clunk going into 1st from neutral about like my 2015 Harley. Really most bikes with wet clutches do this to a degree. Throttling is perfect with no on/off snatchiness and no flat spots anywhere. The handling is neutral and light enough to be fun through tight corners yet stable through sweepers. I can't find much to fault on this motorcycle.

Hello Clifton, thanks for the write up. I too noticed the slight clunk dropping into first. I asked around and was told that it may be due to a mechanism that ensures one does not pop into another gear (other than 1st) when the bike is stopped in neutral. I never had a bike with such a feature before; assuming its true. I'm definitely going to have to swap the tires - I think the knobs on the Michelin Anakee Wild will clear the fenders - I would prefer to go as aggressive as possible. Here is a question to y'all, will this Diagnostic Tool mentioned in the Mandello section work just as well on ours?

The V100 has the same big clunk into first…..a bit like the old oil/air BMW’s from the early 2000’s. If you’ve never had a bike do something like that, I can see how someone might feel alarmed. It’s a feature. ;)

The only real criticism a couple of journalists have made of their first rides on a Stelvio has been about harsh ride quality over broken surfaces.

How are you new owners finding that?

The only real criticism a couple of journalists have made of their first rides on a Stelvio has been about harsh ride quality over broken surfaces.

How are you new owners finding that?

I posted it here last week.

In addition the shield motor is pretty loud as it moves up and down, it just doesn't sound like it's a high quality motor.. And the shield has more play and movement on bumps when raised up from its seated setting. Mainly just an issue on bumpy roads, fine on pavement. It's a little top heavy, not as much as a 1200 Stelvio or VFR1200X, but a little more so than a BMW GS1250. Maybe closer to an R1250 GS Adventure. Clunk going to first from neutral. These are my only complaints or negatives so far.

On the plus side it handles wonderfully, sounds nice, comfortable ergos, shield does a nice job with wind (about like a GS), shifts easily and positively up and down. Power delivery is outstanding with perfect throttling, no flat spots, and great flexibility from 2,000rpm up. The engine is very smooth, vibration is not a problem anywhere, at least up to 80 or so which is as fast as I've had it so far.

Last edited:
Just got back from Italy, did the Guzzi museum tour, which was fantastic. Also got to sit on the Stelvio at Agostini. Having ridden the Mandello and enjoying the new motor a lot, and now verifying that the Stelvio's ergos really fit me well, I'm just about ready to buy one and sell my V85TT.

I ride a fair bit, ~ 12K mi/year, and we'll be moving back to either the SF Bay area or Austin soon, which means that number will only go up. I do a lot of 2-4K mi tours, and try to stay off the highways. I like adventure bikes more than more touring-oriented bikes because I tend to make "wrong turns" onto long gravel or fire roads, and I like having fun on them when I do, but I don't do any serious off-roading.

However, my questions to the group (especially the seasoned folks like Todd, Scott, John, Dave, etc) are mostly related to the dealer network and long tours:

1. Autonomy: What I do love about my V85TT is that I can, for the most part, do just about every bit of maintenance I need to on my own. I carry any special tools with me on trips, and I have the sense that unless there's some major problem, either I or any local bike mechanic can help me get out of any sticky situation I might encounter between here and nowhere. Do you think it's possible to replicate this kind of quasi-autonomy with the V100 Stelvio? Are there many special tools I'd need to buy to do my own basic things like wheels/tires, fluids, valve checks/adjustments, etc.? Do you think that any metric mechanic could help me out on the road?

2. Reliability: Seems like they might have worked out a few things since the Mandello came out, but I'd trust your opinion over anyone else's on whether you think this platform might prove itself to be a workhorse in the long term. Are there any engineering choices you all are giving the side-eye to? Do you think it can be trusted yet? I'm planning a 10K mi trip to Alaska, would you take one there?

3. Big Maintenance / Electronics: I mentioned valves before, but now you can't just pop the covers off and go to town. Do I stock a bunch of shims or is that just nonsense, and should I take it to a dealer for that? Are there any other points of "big maintenance" that must be done at a dealer? I just bought Todd's Diag Tool, which should work for both my V85 and hypothetical V100, which will at least allow me to do some basic things, but I'm not sure with the new ECU and complexity of the electronics if this is something I need to give up.

The bottom line is that I'd love to feel like I don't need to be tethered to dealers too much, and I'd like to know if the reality of going with the new V100 means ipso facto that owners are now much more closely tied to dealers.

Thank you!

IMG 0391 IMG 1806 IMG 0396

Y'all, there's a brand new orange V100 Stelvio at my local dealership. Someone tell me not to buy this. @GTM® ?

It’s only money and besides, no man that I ever heard of, uttered these words on their deathbed…

“I wish I hadn’t bought that Moto Guzzi motorcycle.”.

😄

Y'all, there's a brand new orange V100 Stelvio at my local dealership. Someone tell me not to buy this. @GTM® ?
I'm always a touch leery of first model runs, but hopefully they corrected the issues found on the Mandello. It's certainly a step up from your V85TT I would imagine. For me, it needs to be 1250cc+ and have a 8+ gallon fuel tank to pry me off my NTX. ;)

For me, it needs to be 1250cc+ and have a 8+ gallon fuel tank to pry me off my NTX. ;)

I will never sell or trade my Stelvio NTX for the Stelvio water bike.

The new Stelvio is a very pale shadow of my NTX, at least to my eyes and body.

The NTX cases utterly obliterate the cases on the new H2O bikes as does everything else.

The nail in the coffin lid is the cumbersome valve adjustment procedure. No thanks.

Performing a service on the NTX is super fast and easy. Also, all the best aftermarket stuff was made for the NTX.

Lastly, I can fry an egg on the NTX heated grips while the grips in the H2O bikes, has about half the power.

These are simply my personal impressions, nothing more.

This is precisely why I bought a V100S Mandello and kept my NTX.

Last edited:
I heard all of your thoughts, for which I am very thankful.

But the heart wants what the heart wants.

I totally hear and understand that.

That’s precisely what I mean when I say, “Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry.”

Everybody has their heart’s desires and no one is better or worse that any other. They are matters of the heart.

The ancient saying is absolutely correct that “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

This being said, let me congratulate you on your beautiful new motorcycle! 👍👌❤️

🍻🥂

Last edited:
Well, AF1 finally got the new Stelvio in for their demo bike. I was in Austin today and went by to check it out. It was raining today so I wasn't able to take it for a spin. I did sit on it and, even with my shrinking height due to being 67, I could reach the ground better than I can on my 2012 NTX. The problem for me was that I couldn't see anything closer than seven feet out from the front of the bike due to the height of the instrument cluster. I don't think I would be comfortable taking it on forest service roads. I was thinking of going with either the V85 TT or the V100 Stelvio for my next ride but it's looking like the V85 will be what I'll have to get. I was thinking that I would go for the 2024 model but I'm not sure if the new instrument cluster will also interfere with what I can see in front of the bike. I might have to get the 2023 model since it does provide a better view for me. I will back up in Oregon for the summer before AF1 gets their 2024 V85 in so I'm hoping that the new Guzzi dealer in Portland gets one in for me to check out before AF1 runs out of 2023's.

Back