• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Carked CARC

We'll find out when it gets stripped down.

Silly thing is that the dealer has to strip it to take a photo of the bearing. The bike is then immovable until Guzzi send the replacement, and who knows how long that will be. In the mean time it just takes space up in the workshop, and I have to find another way home.
All for a photo which will show nothing, unless they are hoping to see the name of the bearing manufacturer in the picture.

Brian
In your position I'd get the dealer to fit a new, high quality wheel-side bearing and oilseal when the CARC is opened rather than wait for Guzzi to pull its finger out. That way you'll be mobile ASAP and have confidence in your bike restored. Of course the bearing will be expensive.........but a flying pig may bring you compensation from Guzzi.

Yes the bearing is expensive, but it's not THAT expensive, robably about 70 quid I'd guess and you'll need a seal too, the BMW one works and is cheaper.

When the bearing went tits on my 1100 the factory demanded photo's, you couldn't see the damage well enough to photograph with the bearing intact soiground the bastard in two, took pics and it was approved within a day. I really can't see what the problem isfor your dealer or Guzzi? I keep a big bearing ins tock, not because it is going to be an item that will run out the door by the dozen but simply because if I get a customer in with a CARC problem I can then fix it on the spot and then worry about the warranty later. FWIW I have yet to have a warranty claim knocked back by either the importer or the factory. And the litany includes busted exhausts, rusty and buzzy mirrors, failed CARCs and a host of other crap.

Fill in the in-line form. Attatch pics if required, wait, usually a few days unless Ken is on holiday. Recieve approval. I can't see what's difficult about it?? Perhaps the fact that I've gone to the bother of buying all the special tools that I deem neccessary rather than using a hammer and saw to fix things has something to do with it? I dunno...

Pete

Don't know what the Guzzi price of that bearing is, but a quick google search for that size came up with a price of £135 + VAT. Guzzi prices are usually rather more than the independant suppliers, but not always.
This guy has never replaced one of these bearings before, so I doubt they have one in stock.

Big difference in waiting time Pete, is that you deal with Guzzi Australia, we deal with Guzzi Italy, NOT Guzzi UK.:angry:

Well, I went to get the CARC photos taken today.
There was a 3 week old Norge on the next bench, so we tried that wheel support bearing as a comparison.
There was definite play in the wheel, all round. Mine only has play vertically, solid horizontally, but this one was loose all round.
So, do I tell the new owner?
The bike was in because it had been knocked over when parked. Can't really give the new owner more bad news can I?

Brian

Surely the mechanic should tell the other Norge owner that there is a problem? In his position, I would.

Before deciding that it was my Carc's bearing which had play, I tested the swinging arm pivot bearings by attempting to move the CARC itself in the horizontal plane. No play there of course, so it was in the CARC. Play in the swinging arm pivot may have required just a re-torqueing of the adjuster on the left side.

It amazes me what you fellers go through to get warranty repairs.
We had a customer take his bike to another dealer, closer to home.
He complained of a looseness and rough feel while riding.

They changed the oil in the trans and CARC, told him there were some shavings on the CARC fill plug, but that
"they all do that". and sent him on his way.
Mike rode the bike 150 feet from the front door around to the shop and black-flagged the bike.
Inspection revealed that the pinion nut had backed off, the oil was full of metal. A potential disaster.

We pulled a CARC off a floor Norge and sent the man home.
He was 150 miles from home.
Took a month to get warranty approval,
but I have yet to have a legit mechanical repair not covered.
Some cosmetic stuff is a bit iffy.

"We pulled a CARC off a floor Norge and sent the man home.
He was 150 miles from home.
Took a month to get warranty approval,
but I have yet to have a legit mechanical repair not covered"

And that's why people like me travel hundreds of miles to do business with Mike & Todd @ MPH.

CUSTOMER SERVICE..........BB

Well I have just had a call from Baldrick at Corsa Italiana to say that my warranty claim has been rejected by Moto Guzzi Italy, no reason given.
So I can only assume that a wheel support bearing which currently would flag a warning notice from our annual vehicle safety inspection (MOT) with just 5000 miles on the clock, is considered normal quality by Moto Guzzi.

That sucks.

Time to write that very formal letter sent with receipt confirmation to the appropriate departments at both Guzzi and Piaggio?

Oh crap, this is ridiculous......

To state the bleedin obvious if it is unroadworthy due to a part that is not a "consumeable" and within the warranty period there should be no argument..

But from this vantage point it looks like it is now a case of sticking the proverbial finger up at them and for the sake of sanity dealing with it without their help.... as much as it pains me to say so, but my take on this sort of thing is that my agro levels are more important, and anyway your summer is marching on.

Maybe the best course of action is to take the whole CARC end off and send it to MPH or someone like that who actually cares. That is of course if the blokes who have got it now don't have your confidence.

Not much help I know, but I am not sure what other options you might have. :(

Nothing in the supposedly good UK consumer protection to help you out on this one?

Mike: I fear Corsa Italiana is among the better if not best dealers in the UK, from what I hear :(

Brian

That is pathetic. As I posted earlier, In your position I'd bite the bullet and pay to have a good quality big bearing and oilseal fitted. It's likely to be the easiest route to happiness in the end.

Guzzi rejected my claim too, and it was the dealer and NZ importer who ended up bearing the cost after I said I wanted the parts changed and would pay myself if necessary.

Guzzi must know they have a big problem with CARC bearings and with the 4-valve valve-train but seem reluctant, or unable, to do the right thing, at least to do it promptly. The local Guzzi dealer has a 4-valve Griso laid up waiting for parts and now refuses to stock or sell 4-valve models. Frankly, I'm unlikely ever to buy another non-Japanese bike, because I'd rather ride than fix or fight. That's a real pity because the other bikes do tend to have more character. Both my bikes are running beautifully at the moment - touch wood - and the local Buell dealer is excellent.........

I have, this evening, emailed the head of after sales, Piaggio UK, who did give an undertaking that he would sort out the issue if Guzzi Italy did not.
I await his reply.
What I don't understand is why he would not step in first, and argue with Italy himself.

It is also beyond belief, that Guzzi Italy have refused a clear warranty claim.

I can oly go on what I am told by Corsa, the dealer, and by the man at Piaggio UK, who has replied very quickly to my emailto him last night. He said -

As I said and agreed in my email the UK will assist you, the claim has
now been authorized, for your information the claim was not enter by the
dealer until the 9th June and rejected the same day, the dealer has not
been in contact, even though they have been in copy of the below emails.

So it is possible that the dealer has not come up to expectations either. I did not know it had been rejected until I rang them yesterday (15th). But the rejection mentioned was from Italy. No reason for this is given.

But Piaggio UK are in the process of instructing the dealer to do the repair.

So hopefully it will be done soon.

Back