Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Depending on air temps, a pop or two is normal.
    Leaks can normally be detected by ear, or if bad enough, by hand or a match/lighter near the heads. If you are at all accustomed to this sound, another way to check is to use a vacuum hose. Hold one end close to your ear, not against it, and the other end around the head pipes at the cylinder heads. Sealed connections make no noise, leaks are obvious if only on one side. Use Google for more info.

2. tk-4962

tk-4962 Just got it firing!

Thanks for the info! I will try and get this verified as soon as possible.

3. Gidusko

Gidusko Just got it firing!

Hello,

I cant seem to find on this site any before and after dynos of the flash. Can anybody point me in the correct direction? I purchased the SAS kit and it worked as advertised so I am considering the map as well. I would just like to see some data beyond testimonials. V7 III Thanks in advance!

4. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

The only before-after dyno testing of the revised ECU map I did was with my butt and right wrist. My V7 III Racer was a pretty solid, normal performer for a "slightly over 50 hp" VTwin exactly as it came off the showroom floor. With the ECU map that Todd developed for me, it's a completely different story ... Loves to rev hard, pulls way over its rated specification, faster to start and warm up, easier to ride, more responsive everywhere.

To me, the difference is obvious—in the positive direction—and the lack of dyno charts isn't an issue. That said, I think Todd has some dyno stuff somewhere on the site, but I've not looked for it.

PepperoniBros. and Mayakovski like this.
  5. Sherwin Yap

Sherwin Yap Just got it firing!

What is this for? I am
    confuse? thanks

6. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Long answer read the first posting in this thread.

Short answer, it allows your V7 or V9 to run much, much, much better.

GTM® likes this.
  7. PresterJohn

PresterJohn Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Please bear with me here! I want to make sure I understand. I have a 2016 V7 Stone. If I understand correctly, all I need to do is buy the ECU Flash box and hook it up to my bike, with you helping me out by email, correct. Does my V7II have an evap can?

8. GTM®

All very well covered in this thread, and you can also see; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/gtm-ft-manual.217/

Mayakovski likes this.
  9. ranamv619

ranamv619 Just got it firing!

Do your maps only work for the exhaust systems sold on the website?

10. GTM®

No, I have a rather large library of almost anything currently being produced.

Mayakovski likes this.
  11. ranamv619

ranamv619 Just got it firing!

Thank you for your speedy reply!
    Okay perfect! The "system" I am talking about is essentially just two stubby mufflers. Basically almost a straight pipe or no mufflers type of system.

12. Esteban T

Esteban T Just got it firing!

I have a 2013 V7 Racer and just purchased it Agostini's for it. It will be installed. Quesitons I have: 1) is it necessary to update mapping? Pros / Cons? - Where can I do it in MIami (Does dealer update this kind of maps)?, and how much approx should I pay?

13. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Perhaps not "necessary" to correct the fueling after installing the new exhaust, but it will run better if you have it remapped.
    The dealer cannot do this, there is no better fuel map from any dealer.
    Todd has fueling mapping for sale in his store.
    You can send him your ECU and he remapps it, or he can sell you a widget that will load the new map into your ECU without having to send it off.
    I believe it runs $350 - $500 depending.

Mayakovski likes this.
  14. GTM®

Thanks Mike. Hi Esteban, I sell this device to handle the task; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool -- you can read the reviews there, and the post here from the top that I've combined your post here on. Also see the paragraph at the top of the page here, you just have to spend a little time searching on this site. There's tons of info.

Also, please post your info on the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

15. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I am about ti take the plunge and buy Todd's ECU Reflash Tool. I read the posts about it and just want to ask if there are any words to the wise or don'ts regarding installation. '13 V7 Special. Thanks

16. Alex Capasso

Alex Capasso 2018 V7 III Special

Read the instructions completely before you begin the install. Be familiar with them and clarify anything that you’re not certain of. Be patient during the install and trust the instructions—they work!

aproud1 and Mayakovski like this.
  17. Brett Richardson

Brett Richardson Just got it firing!

Ive just purchased a 2016 V9 Bobber that has a high flow airfilter and Agostinis, and Im interested in getting the reflash done with this tool. My question is will the map be different with the Agostinis, and with the db killers in or out? Or is it just one reflash for every V9? And should I also invest in the air block off kit to maximise the reflash?

Mayakovski likes this.
  18. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

I think the map will be different for the setup you have. I believe that Todd takes the changes from stock into account when making the map.

19. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I have the Agostini classic long mufflers on my 2017 V7III Racer. I've never taken the db killers out, it would be too noisy then. Prior to fitting them, with the stock mufflers/catalytic converters in place, I had installed the standard upgrade map with the GTRx ECU Tool: the bike started, warmed up quickly, and ran very well. Using that map with the Agostinis induced a bit of mid-rpm/mid-throttle surging and poor warm up, and the stock map was worse. Todd sent me an upgraded map ... With that the mid-rpm/mid-throttle surging disappeared, but startup and warm-up were still a bit poor, and the low end a bit weak. After some discussion, Todd created a new custom map for me. Once installed, the bike starts instantly and warms up quickly, has much fatter, nicer power delivery everywhere. On full throttle in the bottom four gears, it bangs into the rev limiter faster than I can shift from 4500 rpm on full throttle. It idles right on the money and very consistently. A perfect map. I'm sure it would need a little tweaking if I took the db killers out. I have no intention of doing so, ever, other than to clean the mufflers. (I'm pretty sure Todd has included this map into his library of maps for the V7III configuration.)

I'm sure the V9 will need a similar remap to work at it's best. Jetting an engine is a very sensitive task, and in truth—at the limits—every engine can benefit from slight customizations of any standard map. Such work is generally unneeded on engines used for street riding, but become critical for engines used in racing because those are used near their output limits, all up and down the rpm range, much, much more of the time.

G

20. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

I did some searches but did find what I was looking for.

Got the flash tool pulled the Image off the bike this morning, went for a little ride this afternoon - updated tune in my Inbox.
    Followed the instructions the update is on the bike ;)
    I thought I saw something about a full throttle calibration after the tune was loaded - but I cannot find that reference !!!

Was I dreaming ?

Thanks,
    Don

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Wildroamer likes this.