Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 31, 2015.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks Mike. Hi Esteban, I sell this device to handle the task; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool -- you can read the reviews there, and the post here from the top that I've combined your post here on. Also see the paragraph at the top of the page here, you just have to spend a little time searching on this site. There's tons of info.

Also, please post your info on the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

2. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I am about ti take the plunge and buy Todd's ECU Reflash Tool. I read the posts about it and just want to ask if there are any words to the wise or don'ts regarding installation. '13 V7 Special. Thanks

3. Alex Capasso

Alex Capasso 2018 V7 III Special

Read the instructions completely before you begin the install. Be familiar with them and clarify anything that you’re not certain of. Be patient during the install and trust the instructions—they work!

aproud1 and Mayakovski like this.
  4. Brett Richardson

Brett Richardson Just got it firing!

Ive just purchased a 2016 V9 Bobber that has a high flow airfilter and Agostinis, and Im interested in getting the reflash done with this tool. My question is will the map be different with the Agostinis, and with the db killers in or out? Or is it just one reflash for every V9? And should I also invest in the air block off kit to maximise the reflash?

Mayakovski likes this.
  5. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

I think the map will be different for the setup you have. I believe that Todd takes the changes from stock into account when making the map.

6. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I have the Agostini classic long mufflers on my 2017 V7III Racer. I've never taken the db killers out, it would be too noisy then. Prior to fitting them, with the stock mufflers/catalytic converters in place, I had installed the standard upgrade map with the GTRx ECU Tool: the bike started, warmed up quickly, and ran very well. Using that map with the Agostinis induced a bit of mid-rpm/mid-throttle surging and poor warm up, and the stock map was worse. Todd sent me an upgraded map ... With that the mid-rpm/mid-throttle surging disappeared, but startup and warm-up were still a bit poor, and the low end a bit weak. After some discussion, Todd created a new custom map for me. Once installed, the bike starts instantly and warms up quickly, has much fatter, nicer power delivery everywhere. On full throttle in the bottom four gears, it bangs into the rev limiter faster than I can shift from 4500 rpm on full throttle. It idles right on the money and very consistently. A perfect map. I'm sure it would need a little tweaking if I took the db killers out. I have no intention of doing so, ever, other than to clean the mufflers. (I'm pretty sure Todd has included this map into his library of maps for the V7III configuration.)

I'm sure the V9 will need a similar remap to work at it's best. Jetting an engine is a very sensitive task, and in truth—at the limits—every engine can benefit from slight customizations of any standard map. Such work is generally unneeded on engines used for street riding, but become critical for engines used in racing because those are used near their output limits, all up and down the rpm range, much, much more of the time.

G

7. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

I did some searches but did find what I was looking for.

Got the flash tool pulled the Image off the bike this morning, went for a little ride this afternoon - updated tune in my Inbox.
    Followed the instructions the update is on the bike ;)
    I thought I saw something about a full throttle calibration after the tune was loaded - but I cannot find that reference !!!

Was I dreaming ?

Thanks,
    Don

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Wildroamer likes this.
  8. GT-Rx®

I know no one wants to read literally anything anymore - :wondering: - but the mandatory throttle position reset is covered in both the PDF and the email reply with the map return.

Mayakovski likes this.
  9. DeadEye

- I read it multiple times and tried searching for the words -
    mandatory throttle position reset
    and they are not in this document ?
    DOH !
    That's were it was, in your Email !
    ( I knew I saw it someplace. )

Ok - all set for a spin tommorow, no need to wake up the neighbors tonight.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Mayakovski likes this.
  10. DeadEye

A few short rides today, more responsive throttle inputs, and up shifting Is sort of odd,( ok maybe not odd but different)
    When I shift from 2 nd -> 3rd ( 3-4 / 4-5 ) I’m almost back at the same rpm after the shift, like i was still accelerating during the shift.
    Vs before it was dropping 500 - 700 rpm between shifts ( I don’t know the real values as I don’t have a tach :think:) and taking a few moments to get back to the same revs...
    Now it just Goes !

I still plan to try and record the sound, high tech - phone in my pocket maybe ??

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Wildroamer and Mayakovski like this.
  11. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

After all of my mods and my last reflash it feels like my gears are a little taller. Just a little more room and flexibility in each gear I couldn't seem to access before. That along with the smoother shifting as everything breaks in really gives the bike a different feel.

I looked at other map options. I went with Todd's because:
    1. It comes complete
    2. Todd seems to have gone through all the trial and error
    3. I get to think and worry less and ride more
    Plus, once you do it once you realize how incredibly easy it is. I've read through other flash setups and it seems like there is much more room for error. I'm pleased with it. Well worth the money.

Mayakovski and GT-Rx® like this.
  12. DeadEye

Indeed - it seems to rev more freely now,

I changed the shift light setting to 6k from default because i kept blowing past it by 10 -15k/h.
    I’ve hit the rev limiter twice, because it just wants to keep going, and the sound of the pipes doesn’t do Anything to discourage me from winding it out ! :clap:

The only thing the flash tool need’s ( and this is beyond GTech’s control) is the maintenance reminder reset.
    It’s “lit” on mine now, but it almost invisible , a perk of getting older is that I can hardly notice it :wasntme:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  13. DeadEye

With most Software things -can *you / We * submit an Enhancements request to have the functionality of resetting the Maintenance Notification added in some future release ?

They might look into it when they have time and resources.
    The more requests they get the higher it moves up on the scale of customer requests.
    ( at least that's how it worked with some of the places I've worked)

aproud1 likes this.
  14. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

Its not that simple. Piaggio has the reset feature "locked" so that only the official tool used by dealers is capable of doing the reset. I have no doubt that if the 3rd party ECU tuners could figure out how to crack that code, they would have done it already.

__Jason

15. DeadEye

You can do anything in software - some of it just takes more time - If they wanted to they could have Encrypted the images / Maps that we get updated, that might have made more sense.
    I doubt they would bother *locking out * the Maintenance reset feature and leave the rest of the OS open ... BUT you never can tell.

The biggest obstacle is - Is it worth the Effort... Will It sell more units.
    ( Sorry - but adding something for Free to existing customers - is not *usually* #1 on the list.)

Wildroamer and Mayakovski like this.
  16. jwtucker

You're disregarding the fact that there are other diag tools out there which are freely distributed, so "selling units" isn't really a motivation for them. None of them have figured out how to unlock the maint reset yet. Not saying it's impossible, but the factory has deliberately made this difficult so that there is a reason to force customers to visit the dealers. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

I also would not be surprised if at some point, they did start encrypting the entire map on new ECUs.

This is just the latest evolution of the game of cat-n-mouse. Guzzi ECUs used to be "protected" by a sticker placed over a screw. Then, to make things more difficult, they moved from swappable PROM chips to soldered-on chips. The "unresettable" reset is just the latest trick. It probably will be circumvented eventually, but then what's next...

__Jason

Wildroamer likes this.
  17. DeadEye

Indeed the Free Software Foundation community is HUGE and some of those people are Incredibly talented and do the work for the Fun of it.
    But someone still needs the motivation to actually do it - we need a REAL geek Biker !
    or a Real Biker with a Geek friend :) ( and Beer and/or Pizza )

Wildroamer likes this.
  18. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Just updated my 13 Special with the GTM Reflash tool. Follow the instructions and it 1 2 3 and done. Just had time for a quick ride and the difference was impressive. I can feel the increase in power and see that the engine revs much easier. The monster is loose!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  19. GT-Rx®

They do on the 1400 and V85TT.

20. jwtucker

I would expect that this will be par for the course on any "new" models they introduce from here on out.

Meanwhile...

I just applied the GTM ECU flash to my wife's V7III yesterday. This was done immediately after the first service, so I don't have a great feel for the power difference, due to the fact that we haven't been thrashing the bike during the break-in period. HOWEVER, the big difference that I noticed (and was hoping for) is much smoother throttle response, which was particularly jerky at low speed / low RPM (read: parking lot, or traffic jam speeds). Overall, quite happy with it. With the Agostini exhaust, SAS elimination, and now ECU flash, it feels like a different bike.

__Jason

Mayakovski and GT-Rx® like this.