• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Memjet Module

pauldaytona said:
software does exist to alter the original program in the ecu, that is the most logical way to adjust the bikes running.

How do you get the software and alter the program in the ecu?

guzziben47 said:
pauldaytona said:
software does exist to alter the original program in the ecu, that is the most logical way to adjust the bikes running.

How do you get the software and alter the program in the ecu?

the software is above end user price level, made for tuning companys.

like this: http://www.rapidbikeusa.com/uncategoriz ... o-kit-pro/

or the rexer:
http://www.rexxer.eu/

The rexxer can be with premade maps, that is for end users or a program where averything can be alterd, for tuners with the price tag.

I’m not one to take sides ……. but these are all true words of wisdom.

I remember way back when modifications to an engine were mechanical to the point of changing the air intake and the heads of the motor. (so to speak adding free flow air filters, cams that open longer, lifts being higher and springs being stronger) and adjusting the jets in consequences.
A/F ratio was measured by the sound of the engine running and the conditions of the plugs.
Now day’s machine shops are rare around my area …… where you can ask to develop a good cam for your engine or get modified parts for the heads,

Up to this date I am still convinced that any modifications to increase the HP / efficiency of an engine is in direct proportion to the quantity and speed you get air/fuel into the camber, getting it to ignite properly and exhausting it out as fast as possible.

So what do we do now a days ....... the next best thing .....modify electronically. (Modifying directly or indirectly the ECU response) why ...... The ECU is the heart of the machine.
Modifications are done electronically to a point where we are limited because of the engine's mechanical limitations.
The ladder methods improve …… but does not optimize the the full potential response of the engines.

Memjet ..... improves
Power Commander V and AutoTune technology ...... improves
GT-Rx Performance ECU ....... improves

I'll say it again as I fear you're getting the wrong end of the stick. I think that the PCV and AT is a fine and splendid thing. I really do. It's just that people should understand that it isn't likely to be a simple plug and forget wonder-fix. It will need setting up and interpretting the data and results needs care and attention. Thassall.
That are nice words, real nice. . . but more interresting would be how the PCV/AT worked out on your US bike (Griso?).

Martin said:
I'll say it again as I fear you're getting the wrong end of the stick. I think that the PCV and AT is a fine and splendid thing. I really do. It's just that people should understand that it isn't likely to be a simple plug and forget wonder-fix. It will need setting up and interpretting the data and results needs care and attention. Thassall.
That are nice words, real nice. . . but more interresting would be how the PCV/AT worked out on your US bike (Griso?).

In the end I decided I didn't need it as my bikes run just fine, or at least to my satisfaction, without it. IMHO the 2VPC machuines need it more, so I gave mine back to Todd and he's fitting it to Jon's bike, and 1100 Griso.

My 1200's aren't perfect, but they work more than adequately for me. 104 RWHP is more than enough for a fat old git like me and as far as I'm concerned the fueling on both of them is perfectly satisfactory FOR ME! Compared to my now departed Scura they are both down on bottom end but that is as good, or slihtly better, than the 1100 G. I have no discernable with the seat of the pants 'Dip' in the midrange and from about 5,500 they both spool up and start swallowing horizon at a very rapid rate. I like the way they work, both of them, so I see no need to mess with them further. Just because I feel that way though is NOT an indicator that others would feel the same.

The only real differences between my two 1200's are their exhaust pipes. My Oz bike has the factory Termi with the dB killer in and a cat. The US bike has a Mistral Hi-Pipe which is not obnoxiously loud but is fairly restrictive because of all the bends in it. I don't know if it has a Cat or not, you can get them both with and without a Cat but I got mine 2nd hand off Todd's crashed 8V so I don't know. While they are both very similar in the way they perform there are subtle differences. I haven't ridden my Oz bike since I've been back so I can't say for sure which one I actually prefer.....

Pete

My 1200's aren't perfect, but they work more than adequately for me.
OK, that's most important. But the fact that they aren't perfect and the the point that you couldn't make the PCV/AT work on your bike at home would made it interresting to have it installed on the other bike. . .

Martin said:
OK, that's most important. But the fact that they aren't perfect and the the point that you couldn't make the PCV/AT work on your bike at home would made it interresting to have it installed on the other bike. . .

Todd is installing Pete's system on my G11 which having ridden others with the system, I expect it to run like the dogs danglies. I have tried the fat duc, I have tried all the bandaids, I will report back after I hook up with Todd and install the full system. If its anything like andrews, i suspect that the line will grow for these suckers

Martin said:

Yes, it probably would. I would very much liked to have gotten to the bottom of why the throttle possition wouldn't scan and zero, a problem that Steve Daley has had with his in Seattle s well. Either we were both doing the same thing wrong or there was a problem with our units, I don't know.

The thing is though that as I said, I'm perfectly happy with the way my bikes run and while I would of loved to have spent a bit of time setting the system up with Todd I was on HOLIDAY. For most people working on their bikes is fun and relaxation, I do it for a living and have for the past 30 years and when I'm on holiday the last thing I really want to be doing is fucking about with motorbikes, I want to be riding them and seeing beautiful places and spending time with fun people. Todd's a fun person and he lives in a beautiful place but I really don't want to spend my holidays here

4723053693_ee29a41c46_z.jpg

which looks a lot like work. When I could be spending 'em here

4736232471_1a6c4be805_z.jpg

Or here

4736879456_f052f959f0_z.jpg

Or here

4750748757_4a694b29fe_z.jpg

with idiots like these

4751387920_d71af06a45_z.jpg

:laugh:

Get my drift?

Pete

pete roper said:
I would very much liked to have gotten to the bottom of why the throttle possition wouldn't scan and zero, a problem that Steve Daley has had with his in Seattle s well. Either we were both doing the same thing wrong or there was a problem with our units, I don't know.
Once I got on the phone with Steve, took about 10 seconds... he was tapping into the 4-wire fuel pump line, not the TPS. I don't think this was your problem. I have resolved only one other 100% read problem, in which the Posi-Tap connector had been installed backwards, so that it didn't make a connection.

The thing is though that as I said, I'm perfectly happy with the way my bikes run and while I would of loved to have spent a bit of time setting the system up with Todd I was on HOLIDAY. For most people working on their bikes is fun and relaxation, I do it for a living and have for the past 30 years and when I'm on holiday the last thing I really want to be doing is fucking about with motorbikes, I want to be riding them and seeing beautiful places and spending time with fun people. Todd's a fun person and he lives in a beautiful place but I really don't want to spend my holidays...
I hear you loud and clear, but I would've loved to have hooked it up for you to try for your National run for evaluation. However, Jon's going to love it.

Paul, have you ever tried a PC-V? I've noticed all of those skeptical have never attempted, or properly used one. It's a tool, and with AutoTune, a quite good one.

I did a G8V this past Tuesday with the full kit, in which Chris will be posting on soon enough.

Pete,
I believe I have the same griso and setup (thank you) that steak has, perhaps the installation on my griso will reveal what steak needs to do. I've noticed that just about everyone who had Todd do the install was immediately happy, perhaps there's a step not covered or some tribal knowledge taken for granted. I will report back after my install.
cheers,
jon

As it was probably lost between the lines above I am bumping it up:

Mi_ka said:
Could there be differences in the mapping of bikes sent to California vs bikes sent to Australia that could explain the differences you see?
And 17.6 AFR under load is pretty horible any way you see it :|
I would call it a mess...

To the best of my knowledge and understanding all of the W5AM (Think that's right) bikes are 'World' bikes. I've had no problems or issues uploading *Australian* market maps to US bikes.

Pete

Did you do the other way around by any chance?
If there is something fishy because of the usual Californian emission extremes in the Californian bikes this could explain this 17.6 AFR under load :shock:

I decided to give the Memjet a try; and it has worked out well. The primary reason I did it was to find out what the problem was; and I have confirmed that, at least for me, the bucking and surging (or whatever you want to call it) is caused by the bike running too lean at low rpm. At some point, I'll probably try the PCV-AT but for now I'm happy. The bike finally runs like a normal motorcycle. And I think this information is important to share because although the PCV-AT may be a superior product, it may not be for everyone. The more important thing is to set the bike up properly; if you can't do that, I don't see how a PCV will help you.

If I knew someone who bought a new Stelvio and wanted to get rid of it because it wasn't running properly, I'd try to help him out by first making sure the bike is set up correctly (i.e. I'd make sure the tank is venting properly and remove the tipover valve and check valve; then set the valve clearances, synch the TB's and reset the TPS) and have him take it for a ride. I think many people wojuld be happy with the bike "as is" if it were set up properly; a lot of the bucking and surging I felt went away when I set mine up.

If that wasn't enough, I'd then recommend something to deal with the lean fuel delivery. If the person wasn't mechanically able and spent most of his time putting around with the engine running around 3-4,000 rpm's, then something like a Memjet or a Fatduc might be appropriate. But for most Guzzi owners the PCV-AT will likely be a better solution.

Anyway, I'm not a mechanic and I don't know as much as many of the people here, but that's what my experience so far has taught me.

Peace.

Mi_ka said:
Did you do the other way around by any chance?
If there is something fishy because of the usual Californian emission extremes in the Californian bikes this could explain this 17.6 AFR under load :shock:
There's nothing special about Ca bikes, all US bikes are 50 state. Isn't it great to see that the Ca madness has claimed the whole country?

As Pete says above, all Guzzi are "World" bikes; no difference as delivered around the world.

Ben, I just had my first look at the MemJet; ~$200+ (band-aid still). That's 40% of the cost of my GT-Rx ECU, which is Step/Stage I in the full fueling package. My ECU flash (in addition to fueling revisions), revises timing for (temperature based) pre-detonation & performance, and on the 8V motors, revised start up parameters for hard (warm) starts.

I agree the Memjet is a little expensive for what it is. But like I said, price was not such a motivating factor; I just wanted to get to the bottom of the issue, and find out for sure what the problem was. The bike runs too lean at low rpm / small throttle openings. That's why it runs the way it does under those conditions.

Summer here is already half over, so I confess I was also looking for a quick, easy fix that I could reverse if it didn't work. I bought the bike two months ago and have spent a fair amount of time since then deciding whether I even wanted to keep it. More than anything else, I just wanted to see if the thing could be made to run properly. Now that I have that question answered, I'd like to salvage what's left of the summer and put some miles on the bike.

pete roper said:
And I'll keep saying till I'm blue in the tits that it is perfectly possible to get them to run perfectly acceptably without any add ons.

Pete

Out of curiosity I looked up Blue tits and this is what I came up with:

Is this what you mean? :lol: :lol:
Sorry I didn't take my medications today! :blink:

Attachments

• Juvenile-blue-tit.jpg
    Juvenile-blue-tit.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 515
A few people asked me about the fuel economy with the Memjet. I have mine set at 3 and 1/2 and I haven't noticed a difference in mileage; I'm not sure but I think I get around 35 miles per gallon. Regardless, I was also thinking, if the fuel mileage was noticeably reduced, or if I were going to take a long highway ride or I were going to use the bike under any other conditions where I might not need the effect, I could always just turn the dial down or unplug the thing completely. The plug is under the driver's seat and the control is in the toolbox under the passenger seat, so it's easy to access.

Back