• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Modern "No Start" issue solution

Beg to differ, but why do you say that? The feed to the start relay goes via the key switch in just the same way that it does on all earlier models.

Hi.

I say this because that is what Mike Haven at MPH Cycles, the gentleman expert who makes the startus interruptus kits, told me. I took his word at face value.

I haven’t compared the wiring and physical layout. Have you?

Also, if it was as you say, I am fairly positive Mike would have created the kit for it.

Why do you say what you say?

What kind of answer is that?

There is obviously a reason why Mike said what he did. There are significant enough differences I’m sure.

I asked you specifically and obviously, you don’t really know, other than you think it to be so by looking at a line drawing.

In light of this, I’ll stick to what Mike said for now. I trust his expertise in this matter.

If you have visual evidence otherwise, you should post it for everybody to see.

Also this was in a previous GT forum post:

…Mike also said his "startus-interruptus" wiring fix will not work with Mark III as wiring changed. He is going to examine new wiring scheme, perhaps it is not causing problems as in previous models.

You wrote this 7 posts later but as far as I can tell, you never did a visual inspection and diagnosis and to this day, Mike does not agree with you as far as I know.

Not seen the wiring diagram for the III, but I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was still linked to the startus interruptus issue.

I could be mistaken and if so, apologies in advance for propagating misinformation but I don’t believe that I am. I don’t claim to be an authority in this particular issue.

Mike is the expert on this one for sure.

Also, a net search reveals no mention of it anywhere as being associated with the V7 platform.

Last edited:
Bike has been starting fine since my last post. Today it rained while at work and the bike is back to click-no-start behavior. Will hose it down with Deoxit when my rescue arrives with the can. The dash is live, the N light is on. While holding the start button I can hear the relay clicking over and over but no starter. I believe humidity is contributing to this. What components on here are sensitive to humidity?
Battery is lithium, terminals are freshly retightened.

*solved* Found the loose ground lug on the gearcase. Really wish I found this last year before I bought a new starter, battery (returned), and relay.

I'd like to chime in here. I don't have a mechanical back ground and I am self taught on the repairs I do thanks to sites like this. Big repairs I use a mechanic because I know my limits.

The reason I bought a Guzzi (B11) is because I wanted something with character when I ride it and look at it - to be different. A niche vehicle means you will need to keep an eye on every thing because apart from the interwebie thingy, you won't meet many people on the same machine when you go for a ride. It goes with the territory.

If I wanted turnkey, I would've looked at Japanese, English or German, although they have their issue too. Heck, even my car is an Alfa Spider which I spend more time fixing than driving. But as Scott said, as vehicles get older, expect to repair them, or sell it and buy a new one with warranty. BTW, none of my vehicles were troublesome when new, only as they age.

It's all part of the love affair.

Just my 2c worth.

Robert

FWIW, I had an almost new Japanese motorcycle that developed a no-start condition. I traced it to the starter relay (solenoid). It was my first motorcycle that did not have a kickstarter and it was heavy to push start. I could not buy a new relay (back ordered from Japan) so I bought a spool of magnet wire from Radio Shack and added a bunch of turns to its magnet coil. That relay was still working when I sold the bike after 20 years. It would engage the starter as long as there was enough voltage to make the neutral light glow even if there was not enough battery to fire the ignition.

All things mechanical or electrical can have issues regardless of manufacturing location. I am very happy with my Moto Guzzi and appreciate the information and assistance available on this forum.

Hi All,
I own a guzzi Norge 1200 from 2010 and ran into the "no start" issue. The solution is well documented above. So I did the mod, started the bike, and... nothing happened. After a good part of thinking I found the culprit: Whilst I was poking around with the relays, solenoids and what not I also removed and tipped the Bank Angle Sensor. I found it laying sideways. After putting it upright, and attaching it to the body, my Guzzi started fine again. So here's my tip: check the position of the bank angle sensor before restart, it will save you a lot of head scratching.

Hi All,
I own a guzzi Norge 1200 from 2010 and ran into the "no start" issue. The solution is well documented above. So I did the mod, started the bike, and... nothing happened. After a good part of thinking I found the culprit: Whilst I was poking around with the relays, solenoids and what not I also removed and tipped the Bank Angle Sensor. I found it laying sideways. After putting it upright, and attaching it to the body, my Guzzi started fine again. So here's my tip: check the position of the bank angle sensor before restart, it will save you a lot of head scratching.
Thank you Tadek! Well spotted and good call.

All the more reason to establish a scheduled inspection of one's motorcycle. I periodically inspect my motorcycle from end to end, looking for just such anomalies. Better to find them when they are just staring to loosen or get out of alignment and before they turn into real problems.

There is no substitute for preventative maintenance and inspection. :)

Morning I used to have a B11 and did the wiring mod as a precaution and never had an issue.

I have a V9 now and have read the full thread here to see if they have the same issue but without success.

I see Scott says that the V7 doesn't suffer from startus interupus, but does that apply to the V9 as well?

Cheers
Tris

Asked and answered ad infinitum….

V7 / V85 / V9

These do not have ”startus interruptus” because they do not have the same ignition design as previous models.

Apologies Scott, I assumed (wrongly) that the answer would be in this thread

Thanks for the quick reply
You are welcome. 😀

There are other threads showing broken wire contacts in the ignition switches and some other things that I cannot remember to tell the truth. Use the SEARCH function and you will find them.

Not owning one of these from this platform, nor having any customers at my workshop with one, puts me at a distinct disadvantage in answering questions about them but this particular issue, I am positive about from my conversation with Mike at MPH.

👌👍🙏

For anyone needing one, I have a plug-n-play MPH cycle startus-interruptus solution in my spares. Hit me up and I'll send it to you for cost of shipping...

Regards,

-- Rich

That is all it takes. I was on a ride with my 1100 Breva and after a gas stop she wouldn't start and deat intrument panel after attempting to start. Removed and cleaned battery cables and battery terminals and she started right up. There is an earlier post on this that I put up many years ago.
Very Late response as I JUST had that happen to my 2006 B11. Cleaned both ends of hot and ground and have had no issues. Havnt tried or needed to do the separate light circuit mod. All good. Read your post before doing work. THANKS!

Very Late response as I JUST had that happen to my 2006 B11. Cleaned both ends of hot and ground and have had no issues. Havnt tried or needed to do the separate light circuit mod. All good. Read your post before doing work. THANKS!
Light circuit? Do you mean starter relay mod?

Back